Would you be interested in a steering damper mounting kit?

Vendors, please post a thread about your H2SX products here.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Would you be interested in a steering damper mounting kit?

Post by cOoTeR » Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Spazonazx is going to start making the brackets sometime this week. I left my bike with him so if he needs to tweak the design or measurements he can test fitment. He has a powdercoat guy lined up so it won't be long now. Here is a picture with a 68mm damper. The bracket isn't on there because we only had the mock up we needed for measurements.
Attachments
20190512_130832.jpg
1 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Fitz
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Fitz » Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 am

I got a little confused, but still making the version that uses new ohlins dampener rather than the re-used ones that you said from factory are not super effective? Or it's both?
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Tue May 14, 2019 4:09 am

Fitz wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 am
I got a little confused, but still making the version that uses new ohlins dampener rather than the re-used ones that you said from factory are not super effective? Or it's both?
We are trying to make one setup that works with both. Spazonazx may have a hookup for the new dampers to get them for a good price.

For comparison the softest setting on the new damper is more stiff than the stiffest setting on the used OEM damper.
1 x

Spazonazx
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): ZX10R, Concours, Other odd stuff...

Post by Spazonazx » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Sooo.... I'll admit that while I'd like for the mounting kit to work with both dampers, I'm a little skeptical about using the OEM ZX10R dampers; lemmie 'splain:

The OEM dampers, first and foremost, are almost a cosmetic upgrade. The damping in them is almost non-existent even at 'full stiff'. It's my opinion that they were installed as reaction to claims that the '04 was an unstable riot, but they were deliberately valved in a way that would not let a consumer adjust them too stiff. I have had a few of these dampers on 10R's, and i have them wound all the way up all the time to very little effect. Better than nothing, sure... but not terribly effective. The aftermarket universal ohlins, on the other hand, is about as effective on full-soft as the OEM is on 10 clicks stiff setting, and is so strong on full-stiff that it can barely be moved by hand. While most folks will never need that sort of damping, there can be an occasion or two to want to have it.... but if you try to snap a U-turn in front of traffic with it set like that you are going to have a bad time.... and I feel that is why the manufacturer never allowed that sort of damping into the hands of the masses.

Second, using the OEM damper means either buying a brand new one or rolling the dice on a used one. It is rare for a damper to get damaged in my experience, but that is a liability you have to assume buying used. While I'm perfectly comfortable making that call for myself, I find that I am not at all comfortable making that call for anyone else. Call me gun shy if you like, but in today's litigious society it is not worth the risk to my livelihood, and certainly not for the (albeit small) risk to another person's health. You could buy a brand new one to alleviate some of that... but OEM prices are the same as aftermarket, and you get 1/10th of the performance!

If you were to have an OEM professionally serviced if would cure most of those concerns and likely be 99% as functional, but at this point you're almost at the cost of just getting the aftermarket unit. And let us be real for a moment: the aftermarket unit looks tits. The used/serviced OEM unit will be visually less appealing and very likely bear the witness marks of use. Why would anyone with a bike as nice as an H2 want to save maaaaybe 20% at max on a safety item with all that underlying doubt and a visually inferior outcome? It just doesn't make sense to me. I am a cheap SOB at heart, but I refuse to sacrifice quality in those areas.

Last point, the OEM damper would work, but it wouldn't fit as nicely as this aftermarket unit. Because of the body mount being fixed & the unique H2 SX gas tank, the damper would not sit straight with the bike going in a straight line down the road (parallel with the upper triple clamp). While this has no bearing on the function whatsoever, it would likely annoy the shit out of most people in short order. Imagine every time you glanced down during your cross-country trip and saw a crooked part right between your hands... it would be like walking past a leaning picture frame in your hallway but never being able to straighten it. Madness, I say. :ugly:

If it's a deal breaker for some, I apologize.... but in the end the pro's do not outweigh the cons. Given the price you could always attempt to modify this kit to work with an OEM unit, but you will quickly find that you are just spending time and money to make something uglier that is less effective.... ask me how I know. :)
1 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 pm

I respectfully retract my statement about making it work with both.
0 x

Spazonazx
14.7 psi
14.7 psi

Post by Spazonazx » Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Heheh, I mean, it probably can work... but when you really think about it you have to ask yourself why you would? I'll see if I can make a second adapter for people who want to do it, but I really feel that it is not a great idea. I would ask that anyone that would want to request a separate adapter mount to make an OEM one work ask themselves why before they do it... if you can come up with a good reason I'll be happy to make one. The adapter piece will have to be different between the two versions.
0 x

Switch18
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Switch18 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm

:clap: Do it right or don't do it at all is always my way of thinking. Excellent explanation.......waiting to see the finished article
0 x

Bryan468
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Bryan468 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Spazonazx wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Heheh, I mean, it probably can work... but when you really think about it you have to ask yourself why you would? I'll see if I can make a second adapter for people who want to do it, but I really feel that it is not a great idea. I would ask that anyone that would want to request a separate adapter mount to make an OEM one work ask themselves why before they do it... if you can come up with a good reason I'll be happy to make one. The adapter piece will have to be different between the two versions.
I think it’s going to come down to personal preference on what damper looks best and overall cost.

After making my own mounts, using a oem zx10 damper, and having it revalved I can say that you do have some valid points.

The damper in stock form is pretty worthless. It needs to be revalved to really work good. After having mine revalved I can say it works very good. I’ve had 2 gpr steering dampers, and 1 Scott’s steering damper on previous bikes and it works as good as any of them did.

The only real difference I notice between all the dampers is the cost. I had $500 or more into all of the previous dampers. This one cost me $130 on eBay and $99 to have it revalved.

As far as the damper sitting crooked... the set of mounts I made puts the damper almost perfectly straight when the bars are straight. If I made another set of mounts I’d move the whole damper back about a 1/8” and that would give me the room needed to set it straight and still clear everything.

I would agree though that it is quite challenging to make this damper work since the pivot point on the body of the damper is fixed!
0 x

Vcyclenut zx10 header/full exhaust
Vcyclenut flash
Sprint filter
Pair valve delete
Tial blow off valve
Zx10 revalved steering damper
1/2” bar risers

Spazonazx
14.7 psi
14.7 psi

Post by Spazonazx » Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Well, made the first adapter bracket from scratch last night..... and I don't like the way it looks.... I'm going to take another swing at it. I have all the other mounts and dimensions nailed down, so it's just a matter of creating one adapter piece that doesn't look atrocious before I can start churning them out. I'll post up some pictures by the end of the weekend and see what ya'll think.
3 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Post by Burmashave » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Super. I can definitely wait for it to be right.
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik