ECU Removal in 30 minutes or less

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Max Warrior
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): 2018 Ninja H2 SX SE, 2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES, 2014 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 Yamaha Vmax

Re: ECU Removal in 30 minutes or less

Post by Max Warrior » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Worked like a charm for me. I missed the tip about removing the rubber piece at first but after a re-read of the instructions, I had no problem.
Thanks for the write up!
2 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Max Warrior wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:46 pm
Worked like a charm for me. I missed the tip about removing the rubber piece at first but after a re-read of the instructions, I had no problem.
Thanks for the write up!
Glad to hear. Putting back in is a little easier.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

KiwiKodi
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by KiwiKodi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Humph. I pulled mine a couple days before this post. Had a mare of a time. Managed to strip one of the mirror bolts. Had to dremel it from beneath then drill and re tap it. Now I have about 100 screws, hoses and electrical plugs and can’t remember where everything went. Got badly messed about with couriers (UK to Florida - vcyclenut) so a 1 week turn around has needed up being over 6 weeks. Forgotten everything now 😳

FYI David at vcyclenut had it turned around same day he received it.
0 x

Switch18
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Switch18 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm

KiwiKodi wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm
Humph. I pulled mine a couple days before this post. Had a mare of a time. Managed to strip one of the mirror bolts. Had to dremel it from beneath then drill and re tap it. Now I have about 100 screws, hoses and electrical plugs and can’t remember where everything went. Got badly messed about with couriers (UK to Florida - vcyclenut) so a 1 week turn around has needed up being over 6 weeks. Forgotten everything now 😳

Have you tested out your new found power yet?
0 x

KiwiKodi
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by KiwiKodi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Switch18 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm
KiwiKodi wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Have you tested out your new found power yet?
It’s just left Heathrow on its way back to me so I’m hoping to get it back sometime this week. Then......😬
1 x

Delearious02
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Delearious02 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:51 am

I also stripped the mirror bolt. TAKE ALL CAUTION NOT TO STRIP THE BOLTS. They are screwed into the front sub frame and the metal used is very weak and when attempting to drill out the bolt just crumbles. Just a word to others use EXTREME caution. ( part was not too bad about $300 from Kawi)
0 x

KiwiKodi
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by KiwiKodi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Delearious02 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:51 am
I also stripped the mirror bolt. TAKE ALL CAUTION NOT TO STRIP THE BOLTS. They are screwed into the front sub frame and the metal used is very weak and when attempting to drill out the bolt just crumbles. Just a word to others use EXTREME caution. ( part was not too bad about $300 from Kawi)
I managed to loosen it enough to get the dremel underneath to cut it free. Re-cut to screw hole and ordered 4 x new hex bolts. Yes siree they were a b@%#h.
0 x

Verizoncellular1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I have a two part question, i need to send back my ecu for another flash. I would like to try this method, i can see the connections and kind of get my hand in there. Where is the release or the method for the release to get these pulled off, i dont remember from when i removed entire cowl first time. Also is the bikes mileage stored in the ecu or the display? I understand a flash doesnt wipe the mileage, not why im asking.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 am

Verizoncellular1 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm
I have a two part question, i need to send back my ecu for another flash. I would like to try this method, i can see the connections and kind of get my hand in there. Where is the release or the method for the release to get these pulled off, i dont remember from when i removed entire cowl first time. Also is the bikes mileage stored in the ecu or the display? I understand a flash doesnt wipe the mileage, not why im asking.
"The clips for the plugs are on the left side, towards the center of the bike. To release them use one finger push the clip open. If you can fit your other hand in there pull the plug away from the ECU. If you can't fit your hand in there you can use the flat head screw driver to push them off. The top plug I used the screw driver. The middle one I was able to pull off with 1 finger from each hand. The bottom one I was able to release the clip with my left hand and pull the plug with my right hand by reaching under the ECU and pushing it loose."

I'm pretty sure the mileage is stored in the display.
1 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Verizoncellular1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 am

Thanks I will make another attempt