Quick H2SX SE impressions

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
UFO
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2SX SE

Quick H2SX SE impressions

Post by UFO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Ordered/deposit: Nov 8th
Received: April 4th
Build date: 2/18
VIN: #510 (non CA version)

Took delivery yesterday, perfect timing for spring. The dealer actually let me test ride it first, :eek: which is crazy for this type of bike, in the USA, at a Japanese bike dealership.

Was only able to put about 20 miles on it before rain rolled in.
  • This is one nice assed and tight hyper-tourer.
  • Smooth as silk in every gear, every RPM...well, up to 6K at least. Yes, I took it to 6K a couple times.
  • Handling excellent for a bike this "big." It doesn't feel that big.
  • Clutch is super light, easy pull, with great full travel engagement. It took me about 3 pulls to get used to it. Very quick.
  • Very linear power/torque over the RPM range I've had it to so far.
  • TFT dash with analog tach...refreshing and stunning (can't stand digital tachs). My Duc had a digital tach and I was never much of a fan.
  • The TFT display is simple but information rich. It's organized well. Some TFT/LCD displays seem to have information displayed all over, with little logic to it (again, my Duc LCD display, while neat, was kind of a mess to read).
  • Engine sounds like no other I've ever owned, and I'm not referring to the supercharger chirp. The engine makes no ticking, whirring, clanking sounds...it's just so quiet and seems to purr docilely until you twist the throttle. But I came from a Duc with a full titanium Termi system on it. So it could be obnoxiously loud sometimes.
  • Could not test power for obvious reasons yet, but it's clearly there.
  • Could not figure out how to change some settings (quick shifter) on the short ride. Had to read the thick manual later, lol.
  • Reach to the bars is good, though I will still probably put bar risers on it to get another inch or so if possible. Assuming someone does a design that makes sense and integrates well.
  • Leg room is subjective. Something I have to get used to again, as it's probably been 16 years since I've ridden a bike this side of sporty. But it's no worse than some of the VFRs I've owned.
  • The green is hard to describe. In cloudy weather or in dim light it looks like a deep, darker forest green. In the sunlight it looks like a blazing green due to all the flakes. I guess that's why they call it "Emerald Blazed Green" It's a beautiful green, a lot different that Kawi's typical lime-like green.
  • I did have trouble finding N a couple times. This might improve, or my N hunting technique will get used to it.
  • Centerstand is effortless.
  • Cruise control is a thing of beauty.
  • Heated grips are fabulous.
  • On my low miles I have 40 mpg avg, this includes a lot of idling at the shop while we talked about it or I fiddle with the TFT.
  • Should have my bags next week.
  • Time to start removing stickers and reflectors (if possible, need to look closer).
  • Time to wait for the rain to go away again. Gotta love Seattle weather. :rolleyes:

Additions:
  • The quick shifter is very cool, and fun. My first bike with one. Upshifts make all kinds of cool sounds, even at only 5000 RPM. Downshifting seems less useful, but it's nice that it's available.
  • Gas mileage when riding normally is quite good. I had the cruise set at ~65 mph and the instantaneous fuel readout was hovering around 50 mpg on flat sections of road. But it's obvious if you get heavy handed with the throttle this bike is going to drink gasoline. There should be no surprises there. But it doesn't seem unreasonable that you could get 200 miles before having to stop if you are touring on it.
  • The on/off of the cruise control takes some getting used to, as when you disengage it there's an abruptness caused by engine braking (haven't messed with KEBC yet). Also, when you hit resume the bike has so much power that the acceleration to resume was a bit alarming. I expected a reaction similar to an automobile. :lol: Clearly these are just things to get used to.
  • I don't find the sport modes for the display that useful for street riding, even though it has all kinds of whizbang readouts like throttle position, boost meter, braking meter, pitch/yaw indicator, etc. I'm sure it's great for the track, but then again who is looking at the TFT on the track? Except for the shift lamp flashing. My favorite TFT setting is touring mode, with black background...which is also the mode I would run at night anyway.
  • Have not had the chance to test the cornering lights at night yet.
Anyway, those are my quick takeaways.

Kawi has produced a stunner here to be honest.
Attachments
2018-04-03 18.38.07.jpg
Last edited by UFO on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
13 x

Various... ➡ 2000 Hayabusa ➡ 2002 VFR ➡ 2003 FJR1300 ➡ 2010 Multistrada ➡ 2018 H2SX SE #510 "Godzilla"

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Re: Quick impressions

Post by EvilSteve » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:23 pm

When you say "handling is excellent", are you comparing this to your MTS or just generally? I've owned both a 2015 and a 2012 MTS in the past, and am trying to get a handle on where the handling of this bike is. I currently have a Super Duke GT.
0 x

UFO
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by UFO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Well, from my limited miles so far the SX definitely handles better than the MTS despite carrying some more weight. The MTS carries a lot of it's weight up high, not so for the SX. And this despite not having fully scrubbed in tires yet. The only thing my MTS had on the SX is gobs of lumpy torque down low. But almost all powerful v-twins have that advantage.

My MTS had ESA, but I rarely used it. I found settings and just left them there. The SX doesn't have ESA but does have fully adjustable suspension on both ends. It actually felt very good out of the box, but I'm sure I will tweak something eventually.

I have no comparison to make to a Super Duke GT.

Maybe your local dealer will allow a test ride.
1 x

Various... ➡ 2000 Hayabusa ➡ 2002 VFR ➡ 2003 FJR1300 ➡ 2010 Multistrada ➡ 2018 H2SX SE #510 "Godzilla"

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Quick H2SX SE impressions

Post by cOoTeR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Removing stickers be careful with the swing arm stickers. I was using a heat gun but the lower sticker the outter cover of the sticker ripped off but left the paper underneath which is difficult to get off. I need to work on getting it off.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Dealer has said I only get a test ride once everything is approved so, not really. lol

GT handles better than the 2015 MTS which handled better than the 2012 MTS. All these bikes have some form of electronic suspension. My preference is for the Ohlins suspension on the 2012 (after I upgraded to the Ohlins suspension control unit) since it adjusted both front and rear preload.
0 x

UFO
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by UFO » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

A few additional points after a ride between rains here :rolleyes:
  • The quick shifter is very cool, and fun. My first bike with one. Upshifts make all kinds of cool sounds, even at only 5000 RPM. Downshifting seems less useful, but it's nice that it's available.
  • Gas mileage when riding normally (clears throat, legally) is quite good. I had the cruise set at ~65 mph and the instantaneous fuel readout was hovering around 50 mpg on flat sections of road. But it's obvious if you get heavy handed with the throttle this bike is going to drink gasoline. There should be no surprises there. But it doesn't seem unreasonable that you could get 200 miles before having to stop if you are touring on it.
  • The on/off of the cruise control takes some getting used to, as when you disengage it there's an abruptness caused by engine braking (haven't messed with KEBC yet). Also, when you hit resume the bike has so much power that the acceleration to resume was a bit alarming. I expected a reaction similar to an automobile. :lol: Clearly these are just things to get used to.
  • I don't find the sport modes for the display that useful for street riding, even though it has all kinds of whizbang readouts like throttle position, boost meter, braking meter, pitch/yaw indicator, etc. I'm sure it's great for the track, but then again who is looking at the TFT on the track? Except for the shift lamp flashing. My favorite TFT setting is touring mode, with black background...which is also the mode I would run at night anyway.
  • Have not had the chance to test the cornering lights at night yet.
4 x

Ninja H2SX
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Ninja H2SX » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:14 pm

UFO wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm
But it's obvious if you get heavy handed with the throttle this bike is going to drink gasoline.
Give us all your gasoline ... we need HP for our H2SXs !! :D
Attachments
Road Warrior Humungus.jpg
Road Warrior Humungus.jpg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
2 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik