My Thoughts On My SX SE UPDATE 764 miles.

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

My Thoughts On My SX SE UPDATE 764 miles.

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I picked up my H2 SX SE last night and only had the chance to ride it about 45 miles home. I didn't get a chance to really open it up or push it in the corners but here are my initial impressions. My most recent bikes are 2008 Concours, 2005 CRF450 supermoto and a 2012 ZX-10R. I had the ZX10-R the longest the Concours was my newest and I race my CRF supermoto. I owned all 3 bikes at the same time but traded in the ZX-10R for the SX SE. Since these are the bikes I had most recently have experience on I'll probably use them for a lot of comparisons.

The first thing I noticed is you can really hear the Supercharger while its warming up. Once it reaches temp and the idle slows down the bike sounds like any other liter bike with factory exhaust. The clutch is really easy to pull in so there isn't a lot of feel in the lever so its difficult to notice how much its grabbing. I'm sure if your stuck in traffic it will be nice to not have to deal with forearm fatigue from pulling it all the time but in a performance setting it will take some getting used to. Turning the throttle also seems to be really easy compared to other bikes. Most other bikes you can feel the resistance build as you twist the throttle more and more. This bike with the fly by wire set up is almost like twisting the throttle on a bike that has the throttle cables cut, it turns without any real resistance as the revs go up. These are not necessarily bad things but will take some getting used to for me. Taking off from a stop feels weird since the inputs feel so disconnected from the bike. BUT taking off is surprisingly smooth and it almost feels like taking off in an automatic car, or coasting down a hill on a pedal bike. Its really nice from the touring aspect.

At slow speed I really expected it to feel clumsy and hard to steer. But it handles really well at low speeds and at first I found myself over doing the inputs as I expected it to be unstable. Definitely much easier to control and maneuver at slow speeds than my other bikes. Most bikes have steering that is super light at low speeds and they feel tipy, like they are going to fall over with every input. Or they have stiff steering that takes a lot of effort to move the bike how you want to at low speed. The SX SE is at a perfect balance for low speed maneuvering.

I haven't used the quick shifter for up shifting yet because I haven't really done hard accelerating through the gears yet. But upshifting is really smooth and the bike does not slam into gear or jerk when pulling in or releasing the clutch lever. At low rpms it feels like riding in one of the flying cars from the jetsons. Its like you twist the throttle and hear the rpms go up but you don't feel like your moving any faster so you look down to check the speedometer only to see you are now well over the legal speed limit. When you look back up at the road you've coved a lot more distance than you thought you had. At in town speeds it feels as nimble as my zx10-r did and takes less effort to steer. It definitely feels as light as the zx10-r and way lighter than the concours.

The seating position is nice but in my opinion the foot pegs are a tad too high and forward. Its like sitting in a chair that's just a little to short. It feels more like sitting on the bike than within the bike like most sport bikes which makes it feel a little awkward when thinking about pushing the pace. The position doesn't feel very confidence inspiring and feels disconnected from the bike but I haven't pushed it through corners so I don't know for sure. Ill update in this thread after I get some more seat time on it. I don't feel like I'm Forest Gump or the Wicked Witch of the West while sitting on the bike like I did on the concours, but I don't feel like I'm on a corner carving sport bike either.

At highway speeds it still feels like a light nimble bike. Lane changes and normal corners take very little effort. The throttle is easy to hold steady but giving it the smallest twist also accelerates faster than expected. I hate to say it but the acceleration is hard to explain. Its fast but it doesn't feel like its fast. Its like hitting fast forward when you twist the throttle. You turn the throttle expecting to feel like the bike is going to take off from under you and leave you behind. But instead it feels like you've turned the throttle in to high of a gear but looking at the speedometer you notice its jumping up 15+ MPH at a time even though it feels like your on a 250cc bike. You realize your going a lot faster than intended and have no idea how you got there. You start at 50 mph twist the throttle and all of the sudden your doing 80mph like your life fast forwarded between 50-80mph and didn't experience it. The wind protection seems perfect for touring at upto about 80 mph. Beyond that I start to notice the wind hitting my helmet and pushing my head around (I'm 5'11" about 230lbs for reference). leaning forward into a sport riding position the tank is a little high and my face is right at the windscreen. I have to slide back in the saddle but once there the wind clears my whole body no problem. The auto blipping down shift quick shift is awesome, super smooth it feels like when an automatic performance car downshifts.

While accelerating its hard to believe that the speedometer is correct and the tach slides up so fast without you feeling extreme G forces that it feels like the clutch is slipping. It feels more like traveling through time than accelerating. Best way I can describe it is my ZX-10R had raw brutal acceleration best compared to a muscle car or drag car. It throws you back in the seat and feels like its trying to get out from under you so it can take flight. The H2 SX SE feels more like a fast luxury car, it accelerates so smooth you feel like your going slow. Unlike the ZX-10R which overwhelms the senses. The SX SE is overwhelming in that you are trying to figure out how you got to going that fast without having to hold on for dear life and all of the sudden its time to shift. You really cannot tell that the throttle bodies are starting to close as you go over 6,500 rpms the power just keeps building. The sucking sound of the supercharger as you go over 6k rpms starts sounding like air being sucked into a jet engine. Its not really a woosh sound its almost like a rumble kind of like the sound a tornado makes.

Overall so far I think it is an awesome bike. Im going to ride it for awhile more before really diving into the performance aspect of it. But right now it feels like a great all around, do anything street bike.
Last edited by cOoTeR on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Hillman
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2018 H2SX SE

Re: My Thoughts On My SX SE

Post by Hillman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:45 pm

cOoTeR wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 pm
But right now it feels like a great all around, do anything street bike.
:clap: Good stuf, and this is exactly what I'm looking for. small things can be addressd like seat or peg position or even raising the handlebars slightly or even windscreen. I want a performance bike I can scratch on, tour on, commute on, and drag race if I want. This sounds like the bill. :lol: :bow:
1 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 pm

I forgot to mention there is 0 feeling in the rear brake. This might be because it's brand-new or because I'm not used to the kibs abs.
1 x

Fred
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2SX

Post by Fred » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:19 pm

cOoTeR wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 pm
I forgot to mention there is 0 feeling in the rear brake. This might be because it's brand-new or because I'm not used to the kibs abs.
Thank you for your thoughts about the bike. :clap:
But the rear break is perhaps one of the worst rear break i have ridden in my 39 years of driving motorcycle.
1 x

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Hillman wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:45 pm
cOoTeR wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 pm
But right now it feels like a great all around, do anything street bike.
:clap: Good stuf, and this is exactly what I'm looking for. small things can be addressd like seat or peg position or even raising the handlebars slightly or even windscreen. I want a performance bike I can scratch on, tour on, commute on, and drag race if I want. This sounds like the bill. :lol: :bow:
it without a doubt is, and uncorked im guessing it will be faster then almost anything else out there while doing it
0 x

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks for writing this. Definitely interested to see if people think the SX handles well compared to other bikes. Looking forward to your follow up, cOoTeR.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I took it out for decent cruise out to a pretty twisty mountain road. I started out and did about 45 highway miles stopped to top off the bike. I stopped just long enough to put gas in. Took the country roads to the base of the mountain then rode up the mountain and back down about 3 hours of riding. I just stopped for lunch right now. Did about 150 miles so far today.

Highway was pretty un eventful was tempted to use the cruise control but didn't want to just lock the rpms and engine load in with so few miles on the bike. So I was changing up the throttle and gear along the way.

The country roads were pretty bumpy. The H2 SX SE has a rougher ride than the concours and is a little better than my ZX10R. Once the seat breaks in it might feel a little better.

The lower half of the mountain road was pretty rough lots of un even surfaces, gravel and a few pot holes. About halfway up the road has been repaved so it was pretty nice a little gravel here and there. The road is mainly really tight low speed corners. At first the bike felt really vague but handled pretty well. Hanging off the seat and using sport bike riding technique helps a lot with handing but it still feels vague in the front. Using some trail braking really helps with the front end feel. As far as turning I'd say it is every bit as capable on the street as the zx10r. You'd have to be on a track for the zx10r to really have a chance to be better. The H2 SX SE doesn't have the engine braking that the ZX10r has. I haven't changed it from the factory setting. Getting on the throttle can be a little jerky if your over 6k rpms. Coming out of the corners at 4-6k rpms is the smoothest.

It handles better than the concours. But using the brakes seems too be a little more exhausting than the zx10r when pushing the pace a little. I don't know if that's due to the riding position or the weight of the bike. But the only time the bike feels as heavy as it is, is while on the brakes. Hanging off the side is a little awkward due to how wide the back of the seat is but it doesn't really have an effect.
2 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: My Thoughts On My SX SE UPDATE 764 miles.

Post by cOoTeR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:33 am

I did about 460 miles today. What A bike. The route started out with about an hour and a half of highway abs straight 2 lane roads. Then it got into some sweeping corners. A little bit of in town before the road went through a huge active copper mine. Had a couple crossings over the gravel roads that the giant mine trucks use. Then i finally got into the fun stuff lots of tight switchbacks and decreasing radius corners with no shoulder before the drop off. Plenty of chances to launch this bike into orbit by accident. Check out the attached picture (not mine) or Google devils highway AZ. Then it was normal twisty mountain roads awesome temps in the mid 60s. Then a huge plateau with a wide open pasture with a huge straight :cheer: :devil: . I had a chance to use the launch control since there was no traffic. Then it was back to the nice twisty mountain roads until I looped back to the 2 lane to head home. GPS said it should take 8hrs 45min of riding. I did it in 8hrs 45min with 3 gas stops (drank a bottle of water at each), 1 bathroom break on the side of the road and lunch at a restaurant.

Overall its not as comfortable to sit on as my concours. But I think it's more comfortable to ride all day. Since its lighter and handles better I don't get as worn out as easily. I kept passing all the places I would normally stop and rest when riding the same route on my other bikes and I never had the urge to take a break. Even the had stops were shorter because I didn't really take a break other than to hydrate. I think the thing that will keep me from doing really long distances is staying hydrated and time. The bike gives off a little more heat and blocks more airflow than my ZX10R did but it's way cooler than my concours was. The concours was like riding on a stove top with the oven turned on high underneath me.

The bike is a blast in the sweeping corners stays really planted unless your going full throttle at full lean and hit the surge of acceleration at 8k rpms. I hadn't noticed the difference in acceleration the bike has as it passes 8k rpms. I was going through a long sweeper lazily hanging off the side and rolling on the throttle in 5th. Since I wasn't expecting the bike to pull too hard I wasn't really prepared when I hit the surge of power at 8k rpms. It hasn't been noticeable before but at full lean angle it hit like the powerband of a two stroke. I slid back in the seat as the front started feeling light. Sliding into the front of the passenger seat unsettled the suspension. I tried rolling off the throttle and that's when things got really weird. I was trying to roll off smooth and slow so I didn't jolt the suspension more but even as I rolled the throttle forward the bike kept pulling for a split second. I don't know if that's because of the boost or if the restrictions on the bike make it so it doesn't recognize a difference between full and 3/4 throttle when in the upper rpms.

The bike had no issues going over the gravel road intersections. It handled the dirty sections of the road around the mine without any issues. The rough sections of road were no problem. I did notice the bike doesn't handle going over bumps mid corner aswell as my ZX10R did but it never felt like it was getting unsettled you just noticed the bumps a little more.

Using the launch control is still going to take a little more practice to have faith in letting the clutch out quickly but it's pretty fun. I noticed that getting into an aggressive riding position and laying my chest on the tank really helped keep the wheel down which in turn prevented the bike from cutting power. It also helped keep the front feeling stable. It will be fun once I get the clutch release down.
Attachments
switch_backs_above_chase_creek_2.jpg
switch_backs_above_chase_creek_2.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Screenshot_20180409-202024.jpg
6 x

Verizoncellular1
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 am

I'm from Tijeras New Mexico, where are you located?
0 x

Verizoncellular1
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 am

I'm from Tijeras New Mexico, where are you located? Were doing Devils Highway first weekend in June.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik