Test ride / kick tires in SoCal?

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Test ride / kick tires in SoCal?

Post by EvilSteve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm looking for somewhere I can see a bike (I get that there aren't many in the US at all) in Southern California. I've been trying to work out if Kawasaki is going to add an H2SX to their demo tour or, there's one somewhere in riding distance because the bike's a bit expensive to just have sitting in my local dealer's show room (according to them). I'd have to order one to get it here and, if I didn't like it... which seems like a weird thing to say... I'd own it regardless.

Does anyone know where I could see one? I've bought my previous several bikes without having test ridden (which sucks) but I'd at least been able to see the bike and sit on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 x

MadeInJapan
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Re: Test ride / kick tires in SoCal?

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 am

Even if you are able to find a dealer that received this bike, chances are it belongs to a customer already and I'm not sure if they will allow you to sit on it.
Here is a link, it's in Japanese but about mid-way down, you can see pictures of H2, ZX-14R and Ninja1000. If you wait a second or two, picture will switch to H2 SX SE. You can compare the riding position, wheelbase, etc.
You Will at least have general idea of the bike if you have sat on above bikes before

https://young-machine.com/2017/11/08/4223/
0 x

cOoTeR
Supercharged!
Supercharged!

Post by cOoTeR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Redzed wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 am
I would think the dealers would get a test ride / demonstrator first, surely? They do in the UK.
Occasionally manufactures will have a demo truck that travels around the country with demo bikes to test but for the most part dealerships rarely let people test ride a new bike. After the American motorcycle market took a dump in the early 2000's a lot of dealerships ended up with a lot of "left over" bikes. You used to be able to walk into a dealership and they'd have 6 of each model and CC on the floor. Now a days they rarely have 2 of the same model of new bikes. Demo bikes are few and far between in the US.
1 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

UFO
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): '18 H2SX SE

Post by UFO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Also, bikes in the US are generally viewed as toys, not transportation or for daily use.
1 x

Various... ➡ 2000 Hayabusa ➡ 2002 VFR ➡ 2003 FJR1300 ➡ 2010 Multistrada ➡ 2018 H2SX SE #510 "Godzilla"

MadeInJapan
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:06 pm

I miss those days where I was able to buy brand new fully loaded Mustang GT off of a showroom floor for less than 15k, 5.0 LX was around 12K :yes:
0 x

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 am

I find the high-end, EU brand dealerships will generally have demos. It's a lot to ask someone to buy an expensive bike never having had a chance to even sit on it. As soon as I have a warm weekend, I'll be going to do a demo ride on a Panigale V4 S at a local dealer but, I can't do the same for an R1M or, H2.

Honestly, I'm now waiting to get some recalls done and my new shock spring installed April 4th and then I'll make a decision. I think my sense right now is that he H2SX will be more tourer (read heavier) than is ideal for me but, might be fun anyway? Who knows.

The Japanese brands are now taking a step into the super-expensive but, not-special market with some of their bikes. I don't fault dealers for not wanting to be responsible for (expensive) inventory.
0 x

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure. I was trying to find a contact at Kawasaki USA so that I could see if there was a demo bike somewhere I could try but, I couldn't see any number/email/form on their website.

Historically, with some exceptions (Goldwing, homologation specials), Japanese brands tend to fall more into the utility brand market rather than premium brands (like Ducati, KTM, BMW, etc.) so, I think dealers generally go for quantity. The dealership I spoke to about the H2SX has several thousand square feet of showroom and a couple hundred bikes but, they weren't really interested in dealing with me. Again, I'm not faulting the dealership for that, the margin on bikes isn't super high so, sales and service are pushed.

I'm going to go have another look for Kawasaki USA contact info.
0 x

cOoTeR
Supercharged!
Supercharged!

Post by cOoTeR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm

1 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 pm

I've found a dealership who has one "close" to me: 2.5 hr ride. Deciding if I go check it out now or not. Thanks, cOoTeR.
0 x

EvilSteve
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by EvilSteve » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Yep, that's the plan. Going up Friday to have a look. Hoping I'll not do something rash. lol
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik