Oil Catch Can Kit

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Oil Catch Can Kit

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 am

This has been on my list of things to work on now for about 6 months. Finally after getting caught up with damper mounts and bar spacers I have had some time to work on a oil catch can kit.

It has taken a few weeks, multiple catch cans, multiple mounting locations, multiple brackets, and a ton of different fittings, hose, tubing and so on to get right but I finally have a nice catch can kit put together.

At this point I will be moving on to the testing phase with the oil catch can kit. I plan to test a couple different configurations. The first configuration I will be testing is with the “out” hose from the catch can routed externally and not recirculated back into the airbox with a clear hose so I can see how effective the catch can is at catching oil.

The second configuration I will be testing is with the “out” hose routed back into the airbox. In order to run the recirculated setup though you will have to vent your blow off valve to the atmosphere as I use the blow off valve hose barb on the airbox for the catch can hose.

It might be possible to keep your blow off valve recirculated while also recirculating the oil catch can but I would say it’s unlikely. It would require drilling a hole in the airbox and installing a bulk head fitting. With that there’s the risk of the nut coming loose. Then the last challenge would be to try and squeeze the catch can hose between the supercharger and cylinders with the big blow off valve hose in the way.

My plan at this point is to offer the oil catch can kit as a externally vented kit and then offer a option for a recirculation kit. This will keep the cost down for the standard kit and then those who want to have it recirculated can spend the extra money for that option.

When I’m done with testing and ready to sell these the kits will include mounting brackets, a catch can, fittings, hose, clamps, and all other required hardware to complete the installation. I will also be putting together detailed instructions for the installation as well.

Here’s a couple pictures of the prototype setup.

3 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, ABM bars, turbo smart bov, Scotts steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can, e85 cont. analyzer

Vex
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125

Re: Oil Catch Can Kit

Post by Vex » Tue May 19, 2020 2:04 am

Oof. /Sub for sure.
1 x

2018 H2 SX SE
2017 Z125 Pro
2011 ZX-6R

unknownbiker
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 SX

Post by unknownbiker » Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 am

Looks like you are venting any excess oil onto the chain. I actually thought of this but havent reasoned it out yet.
0 x

Jesus Saves.

zxhoya
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '14 ZX-14R / '18 H2 SX SE

Post by zxhoya » Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 am

When it's all sorted out, count me in. Great ingenuity Bryan like always.
0 x

SDH2Mike
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2013 Tuono, 2003Tuono, 2010 Sachs Madass

Post by SDH2Mike » Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 am

Will a person still need to remove the side fairing to empty the catch can? I just started looking into this as well but I will wait to see what you come up with. Thanks for creating aftermarket solutions!
1 x

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 am

unknownbiker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 am
Looks like you are venting any excess oil onto the chain. I actually thought of this but havent reasoned it out yet.
I did the same thing on my turbo zx14 which had more blow by than this bike does. The reason for venting on top of the chain is probably not what you’re thinking though. It’s not to lube the chain but instead to use the chain to carry the vented oil away from areas you don’t want oil getting. Mainly the rear tire.

The easiest places to externally vent the catch can would be straight down next to the fuel tank vents or back and down next to your oil catch bottle for the airbox. If the catch can turns out to be effective at capturing oil these options would more than likely be fine most of the time. My bigger concern is about what could happen though.

For example... if you have your vent hose in either of those locations and go out and do a pull and melt a couple pistons it’s going to pressurize the crank case and blow a bunch of oil out of the breather.

When that happens the catch can will catch a lot of that oil but inevitably a fair amount of oil will make it out of the vent hose and in the previously stated locations it’s going to get all over the plastics, engine, exhaust, and your rear tire which is exactly where you don’t want it. Routed on top of the chain it will still make a mess but much less oil will get on your rear tire.

You could also run the vent line all the way back to your axle or up into the tail section with a breather filter on the end. Those options would pretty well eliminate any chance of oil getting on the rear tire but they would also require a lot of hose and would likely be fairly noticeable.

So in short... routing the outlet/vent hose from the catch can on top of the chain is a simple way to help keep any vented oil from getting on the rear wheel and other areas you don’t want oil. Oiling the chain in the process is a side benefit.
3 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, ABM bars, turbo smart bov, Scotts steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can, e85 cont. analyzer

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm

SDH2Mike wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 am
Will a person still need to remove the side fairing to empty the catch can? I just started looking into this as well but I will wait to see what you come up with. Thanks for creating aftermarket solutions!
The catch can I have selected has a capacity of around 8oz so it shouldn’t have to be drained very often. Draining it will not require the removal of any plastics. You can just reach in and turn the drain valve from up front by the radiator. I have the drain hose routed down by the kick stand on the current setup so you could just place a drain pan there and never even have to mess with the drain hose.

4 x

N4speed
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Zx14r,1290sdr,k1600gt

Post by N4speed » Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Great work Bryan, count me in. Good luck testing
1 x

dieseldad60
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Post by dieseldad60 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 pm

Bryan468 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm
SDH2Mike wrote:
The catch can I have selected has a capacity of around 8oz so it shouldn’t have to be drained very often. Draining it will not require the removal of any plastics. You can just reach in and turn the drain valve from up front by the radiator. I have the drain hose routed down by the kick stand on the current setup so you could just place a drain pan there and never even have to mess with the drain hose.

Any progress on this? After my 5000 mile trip I can say that the amount of oil that needs draining is... well ... a lot at times. I really found that to be a pain. Really hoping this works out so I can say bye-bye to that issue! Thanks Bryan!!
0 x

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 pm

dieseldad60 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 pm
Bryan468 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm
SDH2Mike wrote:

Any progress on this? After my 5000 mile trip I can say that the amount of oil that needs draining is... well ... a lot at times. I really found that to be a pain. Really hoping this works out so I can say bye-bye to that issue! Thanks Bryan!!
I’ve tested the big catch can and a smaller version now as well and both of them are working really good. I’m actually going to put oil in the catch can next and see how well the smaller catch can retains the oil. If that goes well then I’ll be ready to start putting kits together.
3 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik