Frame sliders, bike lift and swearing

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Frame sliders, bike lift and swearing

Post by Prof J » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:02 am

The photos help to offer a little more info on whether frame sliders are worth the cost, as part of this post. Another point of the post is about a motorcycle lift, and or Harbor Freight lift ‘safety’, and me continuing to slowly learn, and re-learn.

OK, so I was about to start up winter odd-n-ends on the bike, in November, and put it on the lift (Harbor Freight someone left with the house when we purchased it), and strapped it down. I’ve used this lift with the bike a number of times, no issue, and as well years back with other bikes.

Well, strapped down it was, and later in the day I was about to raise it up and start to remove the exhaust, but before pumping the lift up, went to ease the muffler side strap, and once the strap was eased, the bike had a little lean to it. Nothing seemed unusual, as the wheel chock has some ‘play’ in it and the bike can lean a bit.

The bike was leaning to the other side, and slowly the lean increased. Despite me having good a good grip on the bike, the bike, with stand, and I, went over.

These photos are after a lot of imaginative verbs and nouns, and a conniption fit I’d be embarrassed if it was witnessed . . . and after I pulled the lift away. You can see in the photos, the bike landed on the modified left front slider, handle bar end, and the rider foot peg, slider stud.

That frame slider had an about 4” extension I had installed to attach a camera. The only other location the bike landed was on the left foot peg, lower metal slider stud. Both the 4” camera slider extension, and the foot peg slider, were messed up. The bar ends barely a scratch.

You can see the bike fairing is just off the floor. Not a scratch from the fall on the bike fairing.

How lucky is that?

Thankfully I have a rafter winch, and raised the bike up.

The last several months have gone by and today I just cut up some .9” stainless hard rolled round, and some scrap tubing. The lift has 1” holes, on each side, where the hydraulic jack frame connects to the side frame, a perfect fit to slide the .9” round. It beds about 3-4” in, and with the foot pads, holds the lift in place pretty well. I got on the side of the lift, with the bike strapped down, and could not rock the thing over.

I have more stock and will fab up the same type support arms for placement near the front of the lift.

Excellent adventure.
2 x

I don't know what karma my bike did to get me, but it must'a been something really bad!

Tony Nitrous
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 8 Suzuki’s

Re: Frame sliders, bike lift and swearing

Post by Tony Nitrous » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am

ImageEach to their own, but I’ve used life benches daily for years and never put a bike on them without a rear paddock stand. Really don’t fancy using straps.

I’m glad your bikes OK.
Attachments
DDF7EBDC-A400-4DF7-A16C-BB3F6322F86D.jpeg
0 x

Vex
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125

Post by Vex » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Wewlad. My bike almost went over yesterday when I was putting it on the center stand. The ground was uneven, so when I was putting my weight on the stand, the far side took the weight and the front swung away from me. Thankfully it pivoted and the closer side then met even ground and it stopped, but I was leaning pretty far back to prevent a tip. Heart pounding for sure since I haven't gotten my frame sliders in place yet.

Super lucky on your part! Am I seeing that slider snapped off though? I assume it's the one for your camera? If so, as evidenced, it's going to snap off in a crash as well. Unless I'm somehow misunderstanding the image in the pictures.
0 x

2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE
2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2011 Kawasaki ZX-6R

ghostrdr
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2SXSE

Post by ghostrdr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:52 pm

I can attest that these bikes are indeed "tippy"! All you can do is hold on and try not to damage the fairing. :doh:
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by Snakes709 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Been there lol. My lift came with a rather flimsy wheel chock. Rolled my zx14r into place hut it wasnt centered and bent the chock and the bike rolled off the lift as i was moving it into the chock. Was able to hold the bike up but needed my wife to dead lift the rear end to get it off the lift along with the front. The chock ended up scratching the shit out of the fairing. Ended buying a different chock, drilling holes in the lift and bolting it in. Along with the the pit bull rear stand, the bike and lift are solid
Attachments
F1150061-FC58-46B1-96BE-978875083870.jpeg
93C70FC5-4A8C-4417-BF02-86D1B6A19887.jpeg
AFFA33BA-4854-47F7-99DF-591CD24530E3.jpeg
0 x

2018 H2 SX/SE
-ZX10R Headers
-2016+ ZX10R Yoshimura Alpha 3/4 system
-Sprint P08 Filter
-Vcyclenut flash
-Driven block off plates
-Yager Werx Intercooler
208whp 96tq

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:33 am

Vex wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Wewlad. My bike almost went over yesterday when I was putting it on the center stand. The ground was uneven, so when I was putting my weight on the stand, the far side took the weight and the front swung away from me. Thankfully it pivoted and the closer side then met even ground and it stopped, but I was leaning pretty far back to prevent a tip. Heart pounding for sure since I haven't gotten my frame sliders in place yet.

Super lucky on your part! Am I seeing that slider snapped off though? I assume it's the one for your camera? If so, as evidenced, it's going to snap off in a crash as well. Unless I'm somehow misunderstanding the image in the pictures.
Vex, yes the bolt holding it to the main frame slider bent 90 degrees. In a crash it'll be gone, which is OK. The frame slider that it is attached to will do it's job, whatever that would be. The extension is about .75 cents, and 30 minutes to re-make.

Yes, super lucky. I don't know what karma my bike did to get me, but it must'a been something really bad!
Last edited by Prof J on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

I don't know what karma my bike did to get me, but it must'a been something really bad!

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 am

Snakes709 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm
Been there lol. My lift came with a rather flimsy wheel chock. Rolled my zx14r into place hut it wasnt centered and bent the chock and the bike rolled off the lift as i was moving it into the chock. Was able to hold the bike up but needed my wife to dead lift the rear end to get it off the lift along with the front. The chock ended up scratching the shit out of the fairing. Ended buying a different chock, drilling holes in the lift and bolting it in. Along with the the pit bull rear stand, the bike and lift are solid
Snakes, I like the chocks you are using, and their better/thinner grip. A front wheel vice sorta thing is my second to next lift mod.
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by Snakes709 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 am

Prof J wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 am
Snakes709 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm
Snakes, I like the chocks you are using, and their better/thinner grip. A front wheel vice sorta thing is my second to next lift mod.
Yea its nice and sturdy. Was able to unbolt it and toss it in my truck bed when i had to pick up a bike for someone.
0 x

2018 H2 SX/SE
-ZX10R Headers
-2016+ ZX10R Yoshimura Alpha 3/4 system
-Sprint P08 Filter
-Vcyclenut flash
-Driven block off plates
-Yager Werx Intercooler
208whp 96tq

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik