MPG to date, I'm surprised

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

MPG to date, I'm surprised

Post by Prof J » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm

So far I've done a few longer rides, one along highway 138, along the river, for 90 miles, and a second ride yesterday for 170 miles, mostly highway miles heading towards Eugene, with a side trip into Cottage Grove, and using country roads from Cottage Grove into Eugene.

Total miles yesterday was 170, with about 30 country miles and 140 highway, observing the 4K break-in limit, mostly.

3.5 gas gallons , for a combined MPG of 48.5.

Excellent MPG.

I'll have two more rides to get to the 600 service, and likely those will be the last at this MPG.
0 x

HouTexH2SX
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '18 H2 SX SE

Re: MPG to date, I'm surprised

Post by HouTexH2SX » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

This bike gets pretty good mileage when you baby it like is required during the break in. Don't get used to it because when you start pushing it in the higher revs the mileage drops like a rock. I've never been too concerned about gas mileage on a bike.
1 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by Snakes709 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 am

HouTexH2SX wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Don't get used to it because when you start pushing it in the higher revs the mileage drops like a rock. I've never been too concerned about gas mileage on a bike.
Yup. I noticed at 5k you hear the flutter of the supercharger but fuel economy goes to complete shit.
0 x

Reciprocal
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Reciprocal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 am

I took a 2000 mile trip, checked every tank but did not average the whole trip, worst was 40, most were around 45, some were better or as much as about 48. Riding around locally the last two days I put on 178.5 miles and it took 3.668 gallons to top off, so better than 48 on that particular tank. Can anyone answer, what is the most fuel you have been able to put into the tank? I was reading owner reports about the 2020 BMW S1000rr, and the finding was that BMW overstated the fuel capacity by about a gallon on that model.
0 x

HouTexH2SX
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by HouTexH2SX » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am

Reciprocal wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 am
I took a 2000 mile trip, checked every tank but did not average the whole trip, worst was 40, most were around 45, some were better or as much as about 48. Riding around locally the last two days I put on 178.5 miles and it took 3.668 gallons to top off, so better than 48 on that particular tank. Can anyone answer, what is the most fuel you have been able to put into the tank? I was reading owner reports about the 2020 BMW S1000rr, and the finding was that BMW overstated the fuel capacity by about a gallon on that model.
I've never gotten that kind of mileage since break in. I just use it for day rides and I guess I get on it too much!
0 x

stk0308
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '01 YZ426f, '08 Sprint ST, '16 Street Triple R, '18 H2 SX SE

Post by stk0308 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Worst gas mileage I've see was at full power, and a good sportbike pace here in the upper Ozarks. 28 mpg

Best gas mileage I've seen was a low power, and shepherding a group across Illinois and into Kentucky on a tour. Never breaking 65mph. The on-board computer showed 54mpg.
1 x

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Reciprocal
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Reciprocal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:46 pm

For whatever reasons, my experience has been fuel economy toward the upper end in most of my vehicles, not always but more often than not. Some of it owes to how I drive and the conditions but I also think riding/driving in certain locales is a factor. In Houston, lots of traffic, dense air, makes lots more power there, uses more fuel. I got much worse mileage in my Ridgeline in South Dakota than Colorado, low elevation, dense air, strong crosswinds, 85 mph hwy speed limit, ethanol blends etc. Then again, certain vehicles, roll of the dice. My Ridgeline as mentioned seems to beat the curve but my F150 Ecoboost while beastly powerful never met its fuel goals. Nissan Titan couldn’t either, Silverado was pretty good tea sipping. On H2 SX SE, lots of open cruising, a fair amount if it at high speeds, minimal crosswinds, keep rpms lower, use cruise control, stay out of the boost range much as possible. Sometimes it isn’t possible. But when you’re just out riding short trips for fun, economy isn’t the goal.

Off topic here but I was pretty fair on the track, even won some in competition, but several times recently was cruising the canyons when absolutely had my knee sliders blown off by a Harley Sportster who just ripped me, happened again yesterday young street fighter on a Ducati, and I just let them go. I thought I would never have allowed a challenge like that go unanswered in the day, but I got old. I haven’t forgotten how to use the go pedal and sometimes I do, but I choose the time and place for it now. All the better if alone just me and the road at a buck seventy connecting the sweepers for 50 miles.
1 x

black-k1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE Perf. Tourer

Post by black-k1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm

I'm currently getting around 47-48mpg (but that's real imperial gallons, not the pretend things you chaps in the US use) with a mix of rural roads, motorways and city riding, all at a "brisk" pace.

It was noticable that a change of gearing from 18/44 to 19/42 added between 1 and 2mpg.
1 x

An original Old Git
European Motorcycle Tours
www.old-gits.org

HouTexH2SX
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by HouTexH2SX » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 pm

black-k1 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm
I'm currently getting around 47-48mpg (but that's real imperial gallons, not the pretend things you chaps in the US use) with a mix of rural roads, motorways and city riding, all at a "brisk" pace.
Well, that equates to about 39 MPG based on US gallons so you're getting down there. I'm usually in the 35 MPG range with no city and minimal motorway riding and lots of throttle.
0 x

Bengarzy
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

Post by Bengarzy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:20 am

Reciprocal wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:46 pm
For whatever reasons, my experience has been fuel economy toward the upper end in most of my vehicles, not always but more often than not. Some of it owes to how I drive and the conditions but I also think riding/driving in certain locales is a factor. In Houston, lots of traffic, dense air, makes lots more power there, uses more fuel. I got much worse mileage in my Ridgeline in South Dakota than Colorado, low elevation, dense air, strong crosswinds, 85 mph hwy speed limit, ethanol blends etc. Then again, certain vehicles, roll of the dice. My Ridgeline as mentioned seems to beat the curve but my F150 Ecoboost while beastly powerful never met its fuel goals. Nissan Titan couldn’t either, Silverado was pretty good tea sipping. On H2 SX SE, lots of open cruising, a fair amount if it at high speeds, minimal crosswinds, keep rpms lower, use cruise control, stay out of the boost range much as possible. Sometimes it isn’t possible. But when you’re just out riding short trips for fun, economy isn’t the goal.

Off topic here but I was pretty fair on the track, even won some in competition, but several times recently was cruising the canyons when absolutely had my knee sliders blown off by a Harley Sportster who just ripped me, happened again yesterday young street fighter on a Ducati, and I just let them go. I thought I would never have allowed a challenge like that go unanswered in the day, but I got old. I haven’t forgotten how to use the go pedal and sometimes I do, but I choose the time and place for it now. All the better if alone just me and the road at a buck seventy connecting the sweepers for 50 miles.
The second half of your post...... agree entirely, you know you could smoke them but you don’t know them and how well they ride over all under pressure..... it happens on track days all the time...the best fun is when you are on your own.....well on a bike anyway😂
2 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik