Why not a Top Case?

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
User avatar
Ludwig61
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Posts: 16
Joined: Nov 6th, 2019
Location: San Antonio
Bike(s): 2005 FJR1300ABS
x 8
x 3

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Ludwig61 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:12 am


Racer-X wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:35 pm
I considered using Givi panniers because the std ones have a weird shape which makes them a bit difficult (at least they're pretty!) but am turned off by all the mounting hardware. The std ones are so easy to fit/remove without the addition of racks.
Do you think your trunk rack would fit with Givi saddlebag racks? I'm thinking they want to mount on the same bolts so they will be incompatible.

If one wants a trunk and saddlebags, the choices for saddlebags are OEM or Givi. If you go Givi, I'm not sure what trunk rack you can fit other than the Givi. OEM saddlebags don't interfere with any known trunk system.

I like your trunk position enough that I will probably duplicate your setup with a SHAD 58X on the back. IF I get an H2 SX. I'm still thinking about a late model FJR1300ES (I currently ride a 2005). Doesn't have the pop, but it does have large well-shaped saddlebags and can take any trunk. Also another 170W or so from the stator (I run amber police quality flashers and am trying to run a "mobile" ham radio when helping at bicycle charity events). And the FJR has a much bigger aftermarket. I'm not as good a rider as either bike. The FJR is the "responsible" choice. But it doesn't tickle my fancy as much as the H2. And I can afford the difference.

The lack of factory support for a trunk and the relatively small funky saddlebags indicate to me that they wanted to make a daily-driver version of the H2, not a real touring bike. I'm not sure how much more it would have cost Kawasaki to create the H2 SX as a serious touring bike.
0 x

2005 FJR1300ABS
1986 KZ1100 - gone
1974 Z1-900 - gone

User avatar
Vex
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Posts: 411
Joined: Sep 8th, 2019
Location: Seattle
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125
x 201
x 153

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Vex » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 am


I'm not a huge tourer, but I travel at least once a year for two weeks straight. These saddlebags are more capacity than I normally bring with me by around 11l and I've never had an issue with carrying stuff before. I mean, I guess if you're bringing an espresso machine... 🤣
0 x

2018 H2 SX SE
2017 Z125 Pro
2011 ZX-6R

User avatar
Champ87
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Posts: 641
Joined: Apr 9th, 2018
Location: NW Indiana US
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E
x 247
x 493

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Champ87 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 am


Ludwig61 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:12 am
The lack of factory support for a trunk and the relatively small funky saddlebags indicate to me that they wanted to make a daily-driver version of the H2, not a real touring bike. I'm not sure how much more it would have cost Kawasaki to create the H2 SX as a serious touring bike.
Yes, that's why they call it a sports tourer. If you want a full tourer then don't buy an H2 SX because that's not what Kawasaki are selling here. It has plenty enough touring capability for me but it seems like you have different expectations. There again, you say the FJR doesn't tickle your fancy as much as the H2. There's a reason for that.
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

User avatar
Racer-X
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Posts: 156
Joined: Apr 7th, 2019
x 2
x 74

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Racer-X » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:24 am


I dislike that I can't fit my laptop in the panniers ... not because they aren't big enough but because they have a funky shape internally. Kawasaki prioritised form over function and that's annoying when you're talking about panniers.

I would assume that the rack would work with the givi side racks as the only common bolt would be that at the rear footpegs and I think that would just require a slightly longer bolt. I'm just guessing tho.
0 x

User avatar
Ludwig61
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Posts: 16
Joined: Nov 6th, 2019
Location: San Antonio
Bike(s): 2005 FJR1300ABS
x 8
x 3

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Ludwig61 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:36 pm


Champ87 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 am
Ludwig61 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:12 am
The lack of factory support for a trunk and the relatively small funky saddlebags indicate to me that they wanted to make a daily-driver version of the H2, not a real touring bike. I'm not sure how much more it would have cost Kawasaki to create the H2 SX as a serious touring bike.
Yes, that's why they call it a sports tourer. If you want a full tourer then don't buy an H2 SX because that's not what Kawasaki are selling here. It has plenty enough touring capability for me but it seems like you have different expectations. There again, you say the FJR doesn't tickle your fancy as much as the H2. There's a reason for that.
Yeah, my age is showing. In looking for the history of sports-touring bikes, I found where Kawasaki changed a fairing bracket and
changed a "sportbike" to "sport-touring". So my perceptions/expectations are definitely behind the times.
0 x

2005 FJR1300ABS
1986 KZ1100 - gone
1974 Z1-900 - gone

User avatar
PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Posts: 197
Joined: Apr 19th, 2019
Location: Around Phoenix
Bike(s): a green one
x 11
x 61

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by PhukDD » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:59 pm


I use the saddleman tail bag to carry a laptop. It has a deployable rain cover if needed.Image
0 x

User avatar
Ludwig61
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Posts: 16
Joined: Nov 6th, 2019
Location: San Antonio
Bike(s): 2005 FJR1300ABS
x 8
x 3

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Ludwig61 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 pm


Vex wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:10 am
I'm not a huge tourer, but I travel at least once a year for two weeks straight. These saddlebags are more capacity than I normally bring with me by around 11l and I've never had an issue with carrying stuff before. I mean, I guess if you're bringing an espresso machine... 🤣
I have two times I need lots of space.

Most commonly is when I want to take my gear off and leave it with the bike. Helmet, gloves (in helmet), and jacket have been going in my trunk, though when I get my Motoport jacket it might not fit with the helmet. My Helite Turtle goes in my right saddlebag. My rain gear and bike's air pump leave a fair amount of available space in the left saddlebag. But I'm ordering Motoport overpants, which will need to go somewhere.

I also regularly help at bicycle charity events. In the left I keep first aid supplies, water bottles, rain gear, and my bike's air pump. In the right I keep hand tools, bicycle tubes, Gorilla tape, zip ties, and trash (punctured tubes, empty water bottles, etc.). In the trunk I keep my personal items (toiletries, change of clothes, etc. since some of the events I help at are 200+ miles from home) plus water bottles and personal drinks and snacks. I bungie a floor pump across the pillion seat for the bicyclists to use to pump up their tires.

I highly recommend volunteering on your motorcycle. The groups with the most events (and locations) are the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure and the National Multiple Sclerosis BikeMS events. You get to be an ambassador from the motorcycle community, helping people fundraise to stamp out some really crappy diseases. If you'll carry a floor pump you'll find the people VERY happy to see you. The only time I regularly had people happier to see me was when I delivered for Dominos. However, it is not all fun and games. Bicyclists can get injured or even killed during these events. And you might have to help deal with it.
1 x

2005 FJR1300ABS
1986 KZ1100 - gone
1974 Z1-900 - gone

User avatar
Vex
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Posts: 411
Joined: Sep 8th, 2019
Location: Seattle
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125
x 201
x 153

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by Vex » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm


Those are all great reasons to have expanded storage.
0 x

2018 H2 SX SE
2017 Z125 Pro
2011 ZX-6R

User avatar
turbodave
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Posts: 16
Joined: Sep 2nd, 2020
Location: West Wales
Bike(s): H2 SX SE
x 7

Re: Why not a Top Case?

Post by turbodave » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:21 pm


I can't believe I just read all of this.
I love my SX SE.
I did get the option of Panniers, they stay off the bike except when I need to travel and stay elsewhere or pickup a takeaway curry.

As for the top box, I could never do it. As muted by a someone else on the forum, seriously mess up CoG and aerodynamics
I used to travel a lot across Europe on ZZR11's and my ZX9R. Most of the time a backpack, tank bag sometimes and bag on the pillion.
Made the mistake of carrying soft panniers on my ZZR, the exploded spectacularly in the South of France at 165MPH. My ex was livid, thankfully I couldn't hear her for miles due to wind noise at 165.

I make sure this is all the luggage we are taking and that's that.
Or send your luggage on by courier use it then send it back by courier.
Or get your kids to take it in the car and meet you there.
Finally I have a car to carry lots of crap in. There is a time and a place, for me the time is not now, the place is not on my bike.

Twas the day many a long while ago, I had a small backpack, jeans, tooth brush and paste and spare trollies and socks, that's it. After that all you need is wallet phone and keys the magic trio. With those three you can do anything and go anywhere.

Anyway, each to his own and respect to all and whatever they believe in so long as it does not spoil someone else's fun
0 x

Post Reply
meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests