Low speed brake ABS related failure

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Bengarzy
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

Low speed brake ABS related failure

Post by Bengarzy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Ok, the title says it all, you are lightly braking in town 15 mph and the lever starts to lightly pulse like the ABS in a crash stop but you are only just braking lightly, as soon as you feel this pulsing you are free wheeling, you let the brake off and and back on and all is normal again.
The problem is it’s not always that simple, normally you squeeze harder when nothing is happening.
This has happened about 10 times over 1,000 miles while we were away at the Italian GP, it’s scary as you have to take avasive action, when it had happened a few times I realised I should let the brake off and let it “reset” and all is fine again.
Took it back to the dealers last week and today they have told me there is no fault and they have done every test that Kawasaki told them to and are happy to let me have it back......... it’s almost like they are saying” I don’t know my arsehole from a burnt biscuit” about motorcycles and that it’s all in my imagination, not only annoying but makes me not want to ride it again.
Wheels of Peterborough are the dealers in question and it was like talking to children on the phone, I said that just because they couldn’t replicate the problem didn’t mean it hadn’t happened to me. I also asked if it had happened to them what would they do to rectify it....... they would ask Kawasaki for guidance was the answer...... so just because they couldn’t make it happen in there half hour road test it doesn’t happen at all.
The brakes have been faultless at high speed and hard use, the problem only occurs when you are asking next to nothing of the brakes and the ABS has a fit and backs the brakes off to nothing, there is no fault code or anything that leaves a trail on a diagnostic check.
Really have no idea what to do as I have had a couple of near misses already......
Been riding since 1964 and the last prang I had on the road was 1965!!!! Did my last track day only a couple of years ago on my Ducati 1299 Panigale and have had a vaste array of big bikes, the last 8 or 9 have had ABS so I know exactly how it all works........very worrying problem.
0 x

Prof J
Low Boost
Low Boost

Re: Low speed brake ABS related failure

Post by Prof J » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Bengarzy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Ok, the title says it all. . .

I said that just because they couldn’t replicate the problem didn’t mean it hadn’t happened to me. I also asked if it had happened to them what would they do to rectify it....... they would ask Kawasaki for guidance was the answer...... so just because they couldn’t make it happen in there half hour road test it doesn’t happen at all.

.......very worrying problem.
Bengarzy,

I'm with you. Your points are spot on:

1. The dealership, in my opinion, has a responsibility regarding safety equipment to be comprehensive in their diagnosis

2. Similar to you, I'd be pretty apprehensive about my 'trust' of the brakes, which spoils the ride, and also

3. taints my eye towards my relationship with my bike, until I know it is resolved.

I'm wonder if Kawasaki has different versions of it's software/ABS software that has resolved this? If it seems an under-reported issue, meaning not many, or no other riders have experienced, it then again points to your bike.

I can tell you are riding safe and aware.

Wish I knew something to be helpful.
0 x

PhukDD
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I have had a similar situation at low speeds. Letting off and hitting it again has always resolved it. It usually happens when I am testing everything when I leave for a ride and I usually wash the bike before a ride. I always thought it was soap or something on the rotors .
0 x

Bengarzy
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

Post by Bengarzy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:10 pm

PhukDD wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 pm
I have had a similar situation at low speeds. Letting off and hitting it again has always resolved it. It usually happens when I am testing everything when I leave for a ride and I usually wash the bike before a ride. I always thought it was soap or something on the rotors .
My hero!!!!!!! You have it in one..... this occurred during or soon after a down pour we were in in the U.K. and France, my electronics expert has diagnosed water ingress into a plug or connection somewhere on the bike, he says that as it is very low voltage on the electronics it can pass minute signals through the moisture that give bum info to the ABS computer that makes it react in an abnormal way. The dealer is not interested as they tested in dry conditions and found nothing.
When I get the bike back I will pull all connections apart and silicone grease everything and spray with a water repellant when assembled. Cheers
0 x

PhukDD
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 pm

That makes sense...it was never a concern but alway on the back of my mind as to did that really happen...fixed now....carry on.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik