Tire replacement choice ??

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Tire replacement choice ??

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm

I just did a trip in the Tail of the Dragon area of the smokie mountains. Lots of tight turns mixed with sweepers and short straights. It was a rough trip for tires for my group. We were getting onto the gas pretty hard coming out of the corners which often meant pretty hard tail braking into the next. We weren't running a track pace out there but were going at a pretty good clip most of the time.

The other guys I was with were on BMW S1000XR on Bridgestone S21 front S22 rear brand new set of tires, S1000XR on Bridgestone T30 tires with about 600 miles on them and a Super Duke 1290R on Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP with 90 miles on them from a track day. I was on my H2 SX SE on Michelin road 5s with around 1,000 miles on them including a dyno run, about 20 1/2 mile airstrip passes and about 20 1/4 mile drag strip passes.

The H2 SX SE was the heaviest and most powerful bike in the group. My friend on the Super Duke was behind me on the Cherohala Skyway and said it was really cool too watch me rocket out of the corners. The rear would spin and slide just enough to help the bike finish the corner with a small puff of smoke and leave a little black line on the pavement. So I wasn't being nice to the tires at all. We were doing about 9hrs of riding a day over 4.5 days.

The Super Duke tires were the first to go he replaced them with Michelin 5s on day 3. They were worn down past the wear bars on the sides. Day 3 and 4 were pretty wet so he didn't want to risk riding on them on wet roads. If it was dry he would have kept them on and tried to make them last the trip.

The T30s were on their side wear bars at the end of day 3. He kept them on until the end of the trip with out many issues but kept the bike in rain mode day 3 and 4.

The S21 and S22 combo got the least amount of riding on them he didn't like riding in the rain or the long distances we did. So one day he did the 120 mile Dragon Cherohala loop with a couple passes up and down the Dragon two up then went and drove around in his truck with his wife. On day 4 he took his DRZ out for a few trips up and down the Dragon. But his tires were shot by the end of the trip even with significantly less miles on them they were worn passed the wear bars.

The Michelin 5s were awesome! With the bike straight up and down I could not get them to spin even in the rain on day 4 and I tried. I had the bike in Full power mode (221whp) and TC3 (the one that kicks in with the least amount of slip) and in 1st gear I'd slam the throttle open from a 20mph roll and it would take off like I was on dry pavement. I never had any issues with the front at all even under hard trail braking. With the bike leaned over the rear would spin a little whether it was wet or dry but only if I was being aggressive with the throttle application. On dry roads I was in TC1 and if it wasn't for the sound of the exhaust and the TC light I wouldn't have known the traction control was activating. On wet roads i set it on TC3 and the TC would only activate if i was intentionally trying to really open the throttle hard. At the end of the trip the road 5s were still a couple mm above the wear bars. They probably have a day or 2 of riding out there left on them but I'll still get a couple of weeks out of them on the roads back home. When I replace them it'll be with a set of road 5s again. The only time they had any "issue" was the rear spinning while leaned over and giving aggressive throttle inputs. But I don't really see that as an issue because it never hampered my riding and I doubt even a full racing slick would be able to prevent the rear from spinning on a flashed H2 while leaned over under hard acceleration.
Last edited by cOoTeR on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks for the detailed info cooter. I order the Angel GT II’s yesterday. I will see how they hold up. If they suck I will try the road5 next time.
0 x

black-k1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE Perf. Tourer

Post by black-k1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm recently back from a week in the Italian Dolomites. The trip involved a 900 mile/2 day journey there, the same back again and 5 days blasting around the mountain passes. I fitted a new set of PR5s before I left home and the tyres have been perfect for both the 170mph run along the autobahns and the pass hairpins, which got my lean angle "high scores" up to 54 degrees.

After over 3000 miles of the trip there is still a lot of life left in them and they haven't let me down or given me any cause for concern once. Recommended!!
1 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm

The strange thing is the front on mine is worn almost as much as the rear. Here is a picture of my front after loading onto the trailer vs the BMW on the T30.
Attachments
20190614_161653.jpg
The T30 on the wear bars.
20190607_095150.jpg
My Road 5
0 x

dieseldad60
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Post by dieseldad60 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Great info guys! I called the Kawi dealer and they have some Road 5's in stock so I'll probably have those put on next week! Thanks so much for all the info. This site is pretty awesome!
0 x

stk0308
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '01 YZ426f, '08 Sprint ST, '16 Street Triple R, '18 H2 SX SE

Post by stk0308 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:28 am

cOoTeR wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm
The strange thing is the front on mine is worn almost as much as the rear. Here is a picture of my front after loading onto the trailer vs the BMW on the T30.
I"ve been destroying front tires almost as fast as rear tires. Whether it's the OEM S21(1867 miles), Road5(4549 miles), or the current Z8. In fact, the recent Z8 rear has enough meat on it I'm riding it to the MSTA STAR national in Bristol VA, but with a brand new front. The Z8s were installed as a set was 2433 miles ago and the front is pretty much toast. Picture attached. Since the front fork seal blowout I'm awaiting the forks return from my suspension guy. He's thinking if he drops the oil level we can get some pre-load back into the forks, and get it riding on the springs, not the oil. And this might help balance the tire wear. I'll also admit I do a good deal of trail braking with the front, this may be scrubbing the tire a bit more than usual. I also think that my habit of running in the #2 traction control may save the rear tire wear a bit.
Attachments
tire.jpg
0 x

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:04 am

stk0308 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:28 am
cOoTeR wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm
I"ve been destroying front tires almost as fast as rear tires. Whether it's the OEM S21(1867 miles), Road5(4549 miles), or the current Z8. In fact, the recent Z8 rear has enough meat on it I'm riding it to the MSTA STAR national in Bristol VA, but with a brand new front. The Z8s were installed as a set was 2433 miles ago and the front is pretty much toast. Picture attached. Since the front fork seal blowout I'm awaiting the forks return from my suspension guy. He's thinking if he drops the oil level we can get some pre-load back into the forks, and get it riding on the springs, not the oil. And this might help balance the tire wear. I'll also admit I do a good deal of trail braking with the front, this may be scrubbing the tire a bit more than usual. I also think that my habit of running in the #2 traction control may save the rear tire wear a bit.

Yeah I think it has a lot to with hard braking and the weight of the bike. One thing is for sure the H2 SX isn't nice to tires.
1 x

Prof J
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am

cOoTeR wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm
I just did a trip in the Tail of the Dragon area of the smokie mountains.

The Michelin 5s were awesome!
Fun read!
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik