The Emperor’s new clothes (H2 SX)

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Bengarzy
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

The Emperor’s new clothes (H2 SX)

Post by Bengarzy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Since commenting that my new SX SE is not what I was expecting re grunt, no one has said that’s how they are.
The dealers resident expert tested it today and said “that’s how they are, all very top end power”.
I find this extraordinary as I haven’t had a 4 cylinder 1000 bike in the last I don’t know how long that is as flat as this bike below 6k revs, has no one noticed how hard they have to be revved to get into really good drive?
Hence the title.
I need to ride another one to see for sure but if the dealers rider is anything to go by......
Having said that a standard dyno curve shows 60-80 ft lbs in the area I’m talking about, mine is definitely not making anything like that so probably a dyno run is in order........not done yet.
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Re: The Emperor’s new clothes (H2 SX)

Post by Snakes709 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm

If you are set on low end grunt, the zx14r would be a better fit for you.
0 x

Raddy47
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Raddy47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 am

Snakes709 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm
I was very close to getting a 2019 KTM 1290 super duke GT.
That thing has grunt. Bottom and mid big time.

Maybe look into the GT.
0 x

black-k1
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX SE Perf. Tourer

Post by black-k1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 am

Hi Bengarzy I'm just south of Bury St. Edmunds so not too far away from you. I've come from riding a K1300S (having chosen it over a ZZR1400) so used to bikes with low end grunt and I've not been disappointed (I've actually been very impressed!) with my H2 SX SE. Assuming you have insurance that covers you and that it's on the basis of "you bend it, you mend it" then you're welcome to try mine.
Last edited by black-k1 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

black-k1
14.7 psi
14.7 psi

Post by black-k1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 am

Raddy47 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 am
Snakes709 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm
I was very close to getting a 2019 KTM 1290 super duke GT.
That thing has grunt. Bottom and mid big time.

Maybe look into the GT.
When I was looking to replace my K1300S I tested the KTM SD 1290 GT as well as the H2 SX. One of the comparison tests I did on the K1300S and on all the bikes I tested was timing the bikes from 60mph to 100mph (private road - obviously!!!) in both 3rd gear and 6th gear. The Kawasaki walked all over all of the others. It was over 2 seconds quicker in the top gear roll on than both the 1290 GT and the K1300S

Some bikes make a "song and dance" about delivering grunt. You are made fully aware of what it's doing. The H2 SX just gets on with the job quickly and quietly. The "seat of the pants" dyno is not the best judge of actual performance.
2 x

Bengarzy
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Bengarzy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks to everyone for there accurate reply, my seat of the pants dyno is ALWAYS right, Black K1, your comment is exactly what I wanted to hear, a comparison with a K1300, at the moment the H2 is not in the same league, I know it should be and more, that’s why I’m so frustrated with it. The rest of the bike is ace. As the dealer only tested in rush hour Peterborough traffic I’m not taking any notice of that!!!
What to do next is difficult as I can’t get on the dyno for over a week, I move house in the next month then off to Mugello for Moto GP and the H2 is going to be a real pain on the mountain roads.
Black K1, if you have any time to meet up and swop bikes for 5 minutes that would be a great help to get both of us to evaluate the performance........ it is dire, can you imagine coming out of a second gear corner and at the apex giving it a huge handful a at 5 k and it not getting the TC lit up or troubling the rear tyre at all..... that’s how it is. Hope to meet up ASAP
0 x

black-k1
14.7 psi
14.7 psi

Post by black-k1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:05 am

PM sent
0 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2SXSE , 2009 Buell Lightning

Post by Zdude » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am

I have felt that my H2SXSE is deceptively quick because the power curve doesn't make a huge leap at a certain RPM like so many sportbikes do. While not a huge hit right off idle like some Buell's I've had it is a softer hit but builds power quickly. I did a roll-on against my buddie's FJR 1300 which had a full Muzzy exhaust, K&N and Power-commander tuned, my bike was completely stock except I had put a Sprint air filter in and had about 1000 miles on the odometer. Top gear, he 5th and me 6th from about 50 mph, the H2 immediately started to pull away and by 80 or 90 mph it was ridiculous how fast he was getting smaller in the mirror . Oh, he also weighs at least 50 lbs less than me, to say he was shocked would be an understatement. Deceptively quick or a knockout with a velvet punch.
0 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2SXSE , 2009 Buell Lightning

Post by Zdude » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am

I just saw your comment about the mountain curves. When we did our roll on race we were riding in the North Carolina and eastern Tennessee Smoky Mountains around Deal's Gap, the "Dragon's Tail" and had been telling my friend how the H2 could be left in higher gears for most curves without downshifting and how amazed I was at the pull coming out of the curves. That was when he wanted to do the roll on on a 4 lane highway we were riding to test my comments. Needless to say, he wanted no more of the H2!
0 x

Bengarzy
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Bengarzy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Zdude wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am
I just saw your comment about the mountain curves. When we did our roll on race we were riding in the North Carolina and eastern Tennessee Smoky Mountains around Deal's Gap, the "Dragon's Tail" and had been telling my friend how the H2 could be left in higher gears for most curves without downshifting and how amazed I was at the pull coming out of the curves. That was when he wanted to do the roll on on a 4 lane highway we were riding to test my comments. Needless to say, he wanted no more of the H2!
That’s exactly how it should be, good torque and stunning top end.........a supercharger should make this all happen
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik