What tools on trips?

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 SE

What tools on trips?

Post by danham » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm

On my BMW I carried just enough tools on long trips to be able to change a belt in an emergency or to remove a wheel if my plugging kit failed me and I wanted to avoid having to tow the bike. I did have a belt fail on me once and had to change it in the rain, but (knock on wood) never had a flat.

So looking at the SE, I figure it would be smart to bring tools to adjust the chain (I usually do one or two 3000-mile rides a year), but I'm up in the air about tools to remove wheels. The BMW's could be removed without needing much in the way of tools; the rear on the SE especially would require something like a half-inch drive ratchet to undo those 17mm lugs torqued to 81 ft/lbs. :eek:

I've bought a Triumph chain adjuster wrench ($14.99 vs. Kawi Grand Larceny) and have a 10mm allen key. My travel kit already includes the usual screwdrivers, small allens, zip ties, tape, vise grips, a few combo wrenches, and a plugging kit. And we just added the bike to my wife's AAA road service plan, if all else fails. :lol:

Any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

-dan
1 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Re: What tools on trips?

Post by Burmashave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:00 am

You're carrying pretty much what I carry. I'm not going to carry tools to remove a wheel.As for AAA, I've found it cheaper to get the same coverage via an extension on my insurance. Plus, Liberty Mutual has a trip hazard extension for a few bucks more, which covers a hotel layover, etc. in the event of a breakdown on a road trip.

One other small thing I had been carrying was a bit of tubing and a collapsible bottle to siphon gas, should I or another rider run dry. This might be overkill, and given that the H2 only drinks premium, it might only benefit another stranded rider.
1 x

terrordbn
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 H2SX SE

Post by terrordbn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:08 pm

On my Concours14, I dedicated an entire hardbag to tools. I carried just about everything I could think I would ever need... Hex and metric sockets, ratchets, ratchet extensions, nut drivers, screw drivers, hex wrenches, ViceGrips, sticky rope tire patch kits, power socket powered air pumps, octane booster, Original cleaner, cable locks, jumper battery, micro fiber rags, advanced first aid kit (with quikclot), siphon kit, axle tools. Probably pushed the 22lb limit on that hardbag!

Havent put together the tools bag with the H2SX yet....

LOL!
Aaron
0 x

Thunderdawg
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 Ninja H2 SX SE

Post by Thunderdawg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 am

In addition to what has been suggested by others, I often include two road flares on long trips.
0 x

black-k1
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 SX SE Perf. Tourer

Post by black-k1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 am

I have a puncture repair kit and recovery insurance. :D
0 x

2HYPR
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by 2HYPR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 am

This is all you will ever need for tools... Motohansa plus a puncture kit...
0 x

Tefal
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): Ninja 250, h2sx

Post by Tefal » Thu May 02, 2019 8:47 am

Kawasaki assist card :p

I live in the uk if it breaks phone the recovery people and piss off to the nearest pub while i wait for the insurnace to send a taxi
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik