Check engine light...

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Ninja H2 SE

Check engine light...

Post by Jkwan0902 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Alright guys... rode the bike this morning to get breakfast and then when I went to start the bike back up. It started, but hiccuped... I also noticed that the fuel gauge on the tft display hasn’t been reading normally. I know for a fact I have 3/4 of a tank as I physically inspected the tank. But occasionally the gauge will drop all the way to flashing as if I’m about to break down low. I did take the tank cap off last night to see what kind of aftermarket tank caps would fit but put it back on without an issue. I don’t feel like that would have anything to do with the hiccup upon starting though... anybody have any inputs??
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Re: Check engine light...

Post by Snakes709 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Did you reconnect the 2 hoses (over flow and breather), connector (fuel pump) all the day and make sure the fuel line didnt get pinched?
0 x

Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Jkwan0902 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Snakes709 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 pm
Did you reconnect the 2 hoses (over flow and breather), connector (fuel pump) all the day and make sure the fuel line didnt get pinched?
I didn’t take the tank off I just unscrewed the tank cap
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Snakes709 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm

My bad. Read to fast. Thought you said you took the tank off. This is just a guess and not sure if its right or not as i have never had this problem. But wondering if there is no seal anymore to keep the pressure in the tank. Your first step is to read what code it is.
0 x

Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Jkwan0902 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Snakes709 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm
My bad. Read to fast. Thought you said you took the tank off. This is just a guess and not sure if its right or not as i have never had this problem. But wondering if there is no seal anymore to keep the pressure in the tank. Your first step is to read what code it is.
That actually might be it cause when I shut it off earlier the tank sounded like it was leaking air for some reason...
0 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Post by danham » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Do these bikes pressurize the tank? That would be unusual to say the least. Usually problems are the opposite: the tank breather is not working properly and so it builds up vacuum and starves for fuel. You could try opening the cap and see if it runs normally. The air hissing sound you heard would be typical of a clogged breather or vent that is very slowly passing air, but not enough for smooth running of the engine.

Is the cap vented? If so, is it possible that it got blocked when you re-installed the cap?

-dan

PS: This is in the shop manual and it suggests there is a vent system in the cap: "Do not apply compressed air to the air vent holes [D] in the tank cap. This could cause damage and clogging of the labyrinth in the cap."
1 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Snakes709 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm

I know my tank pressurizes alot, especially when it isnt a full tabk and in the sun, as most bikes do. I just dont know if it doesnt, will it cause issues. I dont think it will. But as said before. Check the code. That will give you a big helpful hint at the issue....i mean that is what cel are for.
1 x

Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Jkwan0902 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 am

danham wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm
Do these bikes pressurize the tank? That would be unusual to say the least. Usually problems are the opposite: the tank breather is not working properly and so it builds up vacuum and starves for fuel. You could try opening the cap and see if it runs normally. The air hissing sound you heard would be typical of a clogged breather or vent that is very slowly passing air, but not enough for smooth running of the engine.

Is the cap vented? If so, is it possible that it got blocked when you re-installed the cap?

-dan

PS: This is in the shop manual and it suggests there is a vent system in the cap: "Do not apply compressed air to the air vent holes [D] in the tank cap. This could cause damage and clogging of the labyrinth in the cap."
Hey dan thanks so much for the info. Now when u say the engine won’t run smoothly if there’s not enough air passing through. What are the tell tale signs if that’s the case?? And if my vent holes are clogged what’s the best way to clean them?? Also, I noticed that every time I open the gas cap to pump gas there’s always a ton of pressure soon as I turn the key to unlock the cap. Is that normal??
0 x

Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Jkwan0902 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 am

Snakes709 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm
I know my tank pressurizes alot, especially when it isnt a full tabk and in the sun, as most bikes do. I just dont know if it doesnt, will it cause issues. I dont think it will. But as said before. Check the code. That will give you a big helpful hint at the issue....i mean that is what cel are for.
Hey snakes unfortunately tomorrow is gonna be thunderstorms... I’ll bring it in on Tuesday. Since I still have my warranty do u think they’ll charge me a diagnostic fee to check the code??
0 x

Jkwan0902
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by Jkwan0902 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am

Alright H2 fam this is what I’m going through right now... after the first attempt to start, it would seem as though every time I turn the key over the oil pressure light on the bottom of the lights on the analog flickers as if the battery was dead. I let it sit for a couple minutes and it’s fine again... it’s monsooning here on this fine Monday but I’ll be able to bring it into the shop tomorrow. I’ve attached vids for u guys to take a look at. Please help a brother out.

0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik