Armor anyone?

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
ghostrdr
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2SXSE

Armor anyone?

Post by ghostrdr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 pm

After 15 years in a cage I've been back on my H2SX all summer, and man have I seen some crazy sh!t. So much so that I broke down and bought an armored shirt. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/for ... hirt-x-v-2

It's kind of a pain to put on and take off because you don't want to tear the material but I'm never in much of a hurry when going out to ride so I can live with it. The armor is much more substantial than that which is included with jackets and once I get the shirt in place, it stays where I put it. It may or may not make a difference but it makes me feel a bit more secure. I may even go for the matching underpants :blush: next season.

Anyone have any better ideas? :blank:
0 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: Armor anyone?

Post by Prof J » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 am

ghostrdr,

I've never been much interested in pads, but my less care-free years are over, and I was feeling similar as you, some wild driving folks here about. I picked up something which seems about the same from the UK. Don't know why I could not find this Dainese in the U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dainese-D-Core ... 2749.l2649

I wear some heavy, zipper vented leather uppers, w/good pads, in the fall to early spring, which compliments the shirts armor with it's own, if I choose to run a form of doubles. I'll see how I like them through this part of the 2019-2020 colder season with the heavy leather upper.
0 x

ghostrdr
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by ghostrdr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Prof J wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 am
ghostrdr,

I've never been much interested in pads, but my less care-free years are over, and I was feeling similar as you, some wild driving folks here about. I picked up something which seems about the same from the UK. Don't know why I could not find this Dainese in the U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dainese-D-Core ... 2749.l2649

I wear some heavy, zipper vented leather uppers, w/good pads, in the fall to early spring, which compliments the shirts armor with it's own, if I choose to run a form of doubles. I'll see how I like them through this part of the 2019-2020 colder season with the heavy leather upper.
I guess we're the only ones afraid of getting whacked. Your choice looks like a good option, and quite a bit cheaper.
0 x

yyczed
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by yyczed » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Based on a few buddies crashing in recent years and suffering similar nearly-fatal injuries, I splashed out on a Helite Turtle airbag vest last year. Apparently motorcyclists frequently die from cardiac arrest due to rib injuries sustained during impact with the ground and their own arms, and chest protection is something most of us neglect.

I think armored shirts cover a lot of this, but the airbag vest also contains a very stout and long back protector that goes high enough to stabilize the helmet and prevent severe whiplash injuries.

The vest only deploys if you depart the motorcycle (it's tethered to the frame), so it doesn't really come into play in a lowside kind of crash, but there are newer ones that have a built-in sensor that can deploy the airbag in a wider range of conditions.

I don't know how effective it will be, but there's enough anecdotal evidence for me that it's a good extra precaution. I used it for the first time this spring on a 10,000km trip and managed to not accidentally blow up getting off to take a whiz :)
0 x

Vex
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125

Post by Vex » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 pm

I've hit the pavement enough times, and even hard enough to bleed when in leathers. Ill gladly take the time to put on full gear, and deal with it on the road/at my stops. I might get armored vest when tooling around on my Z125, but not my H2. My leathers all have back, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee armor.

It's to the point where I actually feel naked when not clad in leather.
1 x

2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE
2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2011 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Prof J » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:53 am

yyczed wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Based on a few buddies crashing in recent years and suffering similar nearly-fatal injuries, I splashed out on a Helite Turtle airbag vest last year. Apparently motorcyclists frequently die from cardiac arrest due to rib injuries sustained during impact with the ground and their own arms, and chest protection is something most of us neglect.

I think armored shirts cover a lot of this, but the airbag vest also contains a very stout and long back protector that goes high enough to stabilize the helmet and prevent severe whiplash injuries.

The vest only deploys if you depart the motorcycle (it's tethered to the frame), so it doesn't really come into play in a lowside kind of crash, but there are newer ones that have a built-in sensor that can deploy the airbag in a wider range of conditions.

I don't know how effective it will be, but there's enough anecdotal evidence for me that it's a good extra precaution. I used it for the first time this spring on a 10,000km trip and managed to not accidentally blow up getting off to take a whiz :)
Looked at those.I think they'd be very effective for the rider, wrapped in a tough front airbag.

Wife said she'd rather see me go, than the money go for the kit.

The price needs to drop some. I'm spending too much on a lot of other things that have nothing to do with wise safety.

What's you feel about the comfort, etc?
0 x

ghostrdr
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by ghostrdr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Vex wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 pm
I've hit the pavement enough times, and even hard enough to bleed when in leathers. Ill gladly take the time to put on full gear, and deal with it on the road/at my stops. I might get armored vest when tooling around on my Z125, but not my H2. My leathers all have back, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee armor.

I prefer to wear leather but in the summer it's just too damn hot, even the perforated jackets. I've got a couple of mesh jackets that I can wear in warmer weather but they're rather loose and the supplied armor was flopping all over the place. I finally just removed it all and just wear the shirt. I'm gonna pick up the pants for next season.
0 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Prof J » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:41 pm

ghostrdr wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:33 pm
Vex wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 pm

I prefer to wear leather but in the summer it's just too damn hot, even the perforated jackets. I've got a couple of mesh jackets that I can wear in warmer weather but they're rather loose and the supplied armor was flopping all over the place. I finally just removed it all and just wear the shirt. I'm gonna pick up the pants for next season.
" it's just too damn hot, even the perforated jackets. . . I finally just removed it all and just wear the shirt."

I agree, though I will wear a light shirt over.
0 x

CoolDaddyGroove
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2019 H2 SX

Post by CoolDaddyGroove » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 pm

ghostrdr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 pm
After 15 years in a cage I've been back on my H2SX all summer, and man have I seen some crazy sh!t. So much so that I broke down and bought an armored shirt. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/for ... hirt-x-v-2

It's kind of a pain to put on and take off because you don't want to tear the material but I'm never in much of a hurry when going out to ride so I can live with it. The armor is much more substantial than that which is included with jackets and once I get the shirt in place, it stays where I put it. It may or may not make a difference but it makes me feel a bit more secure. I may even go for the matching underpants :blush: next season.

Yeah well. you are basically wearing mountain biking armor. I've been riding the North Shore of Vancouver for 10+ years and that armored shirt (any tight shirt with armor) will help save your contacts points, but its polyester. Go throw an under armor shirt in the frying pan, melt it, and pour it on you leg and tell me how it feels and looks after the doctors have told you you are fucked. I would never wear shit like that against my skin on a motorbike unless there is a layer of high quality leather on top. I've crashed, crashed hard, slid 100+ feet and not a mark on me. And I've witnessed plenty others bin it as well.

I will gladly wear my heavy vented Dainese gear and ride in 110 F temps in Idaho and eastern Oregon any day, But maybe you just like to toodle around town, who knows?
1 x

ghostrdr
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by ghostrdr » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 pm

CoolDaddyGroove wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 pm
ghostrdr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 pm

I will gladly wear my heavy vented Dainese gear and ride in 110 F temps in Idaho and eastern Oregon any day, But maybe you just like to toodle around town, who knows?
Yeah, for the most part I'm just a local toodler! :D

I wear leather when then weather allows and a textile mesh jacket when it's hotter. I just took the cheapo armor that came with the jackets out. A longer trip requires different protection but I'm not going full leather to ride a new miles to my buddy's house.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik