Radar Detector

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Re: Radar Detector

Post by Burmashave » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm

HouTexH2SX wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:02 pm
...I mostly like using it out in the countryside where the troopers and local LEO's usually run with their radar on all the time so plenty of advanced warning--it has saved my bacon numerous times.
That's pretty much why I'm doing a hidden V1 install. I try to keep my speeds reasonable, but every now and then I wind it out a bit. A few years back I wound it up a bit in a very rural place where I'd never seen a trooper and got pulled over for doing 100 in a 45.
1 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Post by danham » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Rode my new SE home from the dealer yesterday and this morning installed Woodcraft frame sliders and the harness for my heated gear (still raw & nasty here, but I gotta put on some miles). I'm posting here because I have changed my mind about how to power my V1 radar detector.

Because the LE dongle is key to using the V1 on a bike, I had it all wrapped up in plastic and sealed (as best I could) against weather and mounted it deep under the Tupperware on my BMW. For a variety of reasons this was the best way to do it and I was assuming I'd do the same on the SE.

But the SE has that nice accessory socket right by where I plan to mount the V1 (left clutch housing, RAM mount). Because the V1 itself is not waterproof, if I encounter wet stuff I either cover it up (shower cap or freezer bag) or put it away. The LE by itself is so tiny I can just zip tie it to the V1 stretch cord and use the V1's 12v lighter adapter. When it rains, I'll unplug it and stuff everything under the cap or bag.

I was looking forward to removing all the fairing pieces (sort of), but I'm sure I'll get my chance. BTW, every one of the 4mm allens that secure the plastic pieces was so loose that I could unscrew them using my fingers on a 4mm socket -- no ratchet. That doesn't seem right. I took off one piece near the battery to route my Gerbing cable and after that discovery went around and snugged up the other fasteners.

-dan
0 x

Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Burmashave » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Question for you, Dan: I'm still pondering on my hidden install, which won't happen for a while, but I'm wondering about placement for the LE dongle. When you had the dongle buried on your BMW, did you ever suffer from bluetooth connectivity issues? I'd like to mount the dongle under the seat with the other electronics, but I'm thinking connectivity might suffer. Otherwise, I'll waterproof it and mount it under the left hand fairing near the tank.
0 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Burma,

The V1 --> dongle connection is obviously not an issue because it is hardwired. The only reliable way to answer the question of how well it will connect with your phone is to do a test. Luckily it is pretty easy to rig up a temp connection of the LE under the seat and then sit on the bike with your phone where you usually carry it.

On my BMW the LE was mounted next to the battery, which on that bike was just aft of the steering head, so it was a pretty direct shot at my front jacket pocket.

First you could test to see if V1Driver (or the Valentine connect app, or whatever app you prefer) can find the V1 via the LE. You can set V1Driver to run test tones to check your whole Bluetooth setup (dongle to phone to Sena). This is necessary because switching the V1 on/off will not produce the usual startup tones anywhere but in the V1, meaning you can't test the audio that way. I don't recall the exact setting in V1Driver, but if you have trouble finding it I could search through my posts in the RD forum where the author of the app told me how to do it.

-dan
1 x

Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Burmashave » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a go. From your original post, I was thinking that the dongle was buried away.
0 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 pm
Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a go. From your original post, I was thinking that the dongle was buried away.
It was, but only in terms of getting at it, not signal path. The BMW required removing a fair amount of Tupperware just to get at the battery.

-dan
0 x

Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Burmashave » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 am

Got it!
0 x

Paul311

Post by Paul311 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

I always plug a compatible Bluetooth transmitter into the jack of my radar detector and mount it with velcro on top, as well. You can take a look at the article top 10 radar detectors, they tell about some worthwhile models out there. The main feature, I rely on - quality of detection.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik