LED helmet brakelight -feedback from those using

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
danham
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Re: LED helmet brakelight -feedback from those using

Post by danham » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:15 pm

I don't own one but was interested in the product. A few weeks ago I went on a group ride and one rider had one in use. I don't know if it was this particular brand, but it was the same shape, so it might have been. My immediate reaction, riding behind him, was that it is nowhere near as visible as the manufacturer claims. It was pretty washed out in partial sunlight (partly cloudy day).

-dan
0 x

chidago
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): 20 sx se, '18 gsxr 1000r, '72 H2, '14 aprilia, '78 GS1000E

Post by chidago » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:22 pm

We will have a hands on soon..anything that helps visibility is a good thing we can all agree on, my only issue was the non adjustable sensitivity, as a fixed one will affect different riders differently..a smooth, relaxed ride, wont trigger as many lights on events as hard downshift, or snap decel...Champ has one coming, so, we will get the facts.
0 x

Vex
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125

Post by Vex » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:30 pm

chidago wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:22 pm
anything that helps visibility
Are you saying that while wearing bright yellow hiviz gear? 🤣 I personally just can't do it.

Honestly, between this or my taillight that flashes rapidly when I hit the brakes, I'll take the taillight every time.
0 x

2018 H2 SX SE
Brock's Penta Exhaust
Block Off Plates
Sprint P08 F1-85
Stage 1 SC
Tuned by 2WDW
242whp/106ftlbs

chidago
Supercharged!
Supercharged!

Post by chidago » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:46 pm

Lol...im not one of those..but, my tail light points down as much as level somedays, and with all the cows in minivans texting non-stop, its worth lookin at...
2 x

Champ87
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:59 pm

chidago wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:22 pm
...Champ has one coming, so, we will get the facts.
I'm not sure about that. I won't be able to see it! :D I'll have to mount my GoPro behind me to get some video of how it responds the different levels of braking.

I don't see an argument as to whether it's better than this or that - it's in addition to what ever I have now, not a replacement. To be honest, I probably wouldn't rush out to buy if it wasn't for Mrs. Champ asking "why don't you get one?" I didn't really have a good answer why I shouldn't and one or two reasons why I should at least give it a try. The Brake Free gizmo probably isn't going to help if someone is looking down texting but it might do the job for those who are looking but have brain delay due to talking on the phone. It won't increase the risk, that's for sure.

In 46 years of road riding I've never had anyone shunt into the back of my bike. I had a close call on my Triumph a couple of years back when I stopped in a line of cars waiting at a railroad crossing. Heard this horrible squealing of locked wheels behind me (ABS anyone?) and was very relieved when when a Jeep stopped with about a foot to spare. :eek:

Anyway, I'll report back with initial impressions when this thing arrives. Probably going to be a while before I get back out on the bike to test it for real.
1 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

ghostrdr
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): H2SXSE

Post by ghostrdr » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:05 pm

I've got one on order too but based on the email I got it sounds like they're waiting for a restock. Even if it just works so so, it should increase driver attention at night, which is more important to me. We should be able to test sensitivity by taking the helmet for a ride in a car since it's too cold to ride here.
0 x

chidago
Supercharged!
Supercharged!

Post by chidago » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:59 pm

true...
0 x

Champ87
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 am

My Brake Free LED light showed up today. Riding weather is some way off but when I get a chance I'll take it out in the car to see how it reacts to engine braking, normal braking and holy crap braking situations. For now some random observations:
  • The Brake Free light seems well made with a quality feel to it. Looks as if it'll be quite durable.
  • At 200g it weighs about the same as a GoPro + Mount. I might notice it at first but I'm sure I'll adjust quickly.
  • I'm pleased to say it doesn't look too bulky. I don't want to be a fashion queen about it, but I don't want to look like a total moron either (or even a partial moron).
  • The manual says it takes 2 -3 hours to charge. Mine took about 2 hours to reach fully-charged. Battery is supposed to last 8 -10 hours actual use but that depends on the mode selected and the type of riding. To extend battery life, the Brake Free will automatically go into Sleep Mode if it is not being used then power on automatically when motion is detected.
  • There are 3 selectable lighting modes for normal lighting (non-braking):
    • Mode 1 is Normal (all LEDs on at 20% brightness)
    • Mode 2 is Pulsing (the side LEDs blink at 20% brightness)
    • Mode 3 is stealth (16/100 LEDs on at 20% brightness). The unit will automatically default to this mode when the battery is low.
    I'll be using Mode 3 but, to be honest, I'd rather none of the LEDs were on until I brake.
  • For braking it doesn't matter which mode is selected - all LEDs will light up at full brightness. It also has an emergency braking mode that flashes all the LEDs 3 times at full brightness under harder braking then continues to display at full brightness until braking has stopped.
When I first saw this I was curious but I didn't feel inclined to rush out and buy one. I'll admit I was a bit sensitive about how it might look but, as I said earlier, when Mrs. Champ asked me if I was going to get one I couldn't really offer a good explanation why I shouldn't. If it makes her feel better then I'll give it a go.
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

chidago
Supercharged!
Supercharged!

Post by chidago » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks...will watch for you opinion on how it actually responds to braking..
0 x

CiscoKid
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): 20 H2 SX SE/96 ZX1100D/2000ZX-9R

Post by CiscoKid » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Look forward to a follow up on thoughts now that you have received
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik