Shoei GT Air 2 -vs- Shoei NeoTec 2

Discuss apparel, gear, and tech for your rides.
Prof J
High Boost
High Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Shoei GT Air 2 -vs- Shoei NeoTec 2

Post by Prof J » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:59 pm

I picked up a GT Air 2 for my wife last week. Initially she did not want to use it, but changed her mind, considering it's safety over its' paint job.

So today my Honey and I went for her first two up on this bike. It's been about 10 years since her last two up. The bike was very comfortable, and handled well with the two up suspension setting. It was largely 10 miles of low rolling hills, and then the river canyon road for the next 65 miles, until back on the flat lands of 10 miles of 'highway', for higher speeds helmet noise check.

She used the GT Air 2 for the first time. I had tried it on, and it felt a better, a more snug fit than my new NeoTec 2, particularly around the cheeks and neck, to back of neck area. She used it the first 1/2 of the ride, I used it the second half, swapping helmets with her.

Here are my observations of the Shoei NeoTec 2 -vs- the Shoei GT Air 2:

-Both helmets are mediums, and the NeoTec 2 has the thickest pad set Shoei sells for it. The GT Air 2 has the stock medium pads, I don't recall their thickness, right now. The small version of the NeoTec 2 was way too small. I hope to pickup several custom pads for the NeoTec 2 on Tuesday. Overall fit, one point for the GT Air 2.

- The GT Air 2 chin ventilation flows a bit more to the sides of the face, overall, and flows more air than the chin vent on the NeoTec 2. Not quite a moderate amount more, but a bit more noticeable. The NeoTec 2 seems to flow about 'even' air, up the entire face area. One point for the GT Air 2.

- The GT Air 2 top helmet vent flows a bit more air, again not quite a moderate amount more, but a bit more than the NeoTec 2, and where the air flow comes more down on the crown of the head with the NeoTec 2, and flows back, the GT Air 2 seems to enter onto my upper forehead, and flows back to the rear of the helmet well. One point for the GT Air 2.

- I was really surprised and how quiet the GT Air 2 was compared to the NeoTec 2. My wife said she noticed how it was "much more quiet" than the NeoTec 2. I'll see how the custom pads help out on the NeoTec 2 this coming week. One point for the GT Air 2.

- The GT Air 2 has a shield detent which keeps an about 3/16" air space, for its' lowest to closed setting, allowing mild air intake, very nice. The NeoTec 2s' lowest opening is about 3/4" (I haven't measured), and insects and debris do get inside. One point for the GT Air 2.

- I like the NeoTec 2 being a modular helmet. Less claustrophobic. One point for the NeoTec 2.

- The GT Air 2 is roughly about 200 grams lighter, not a biggie, but nice, an approximate 7 oz difference. One point for the GT Air 2.

- Both helmets are in the same price vicinity, with the NeoTec being slightly ($100) more expensive. One point for the GT Air 2.

There are likely other things which would be reasonable to score, or consider, but I can't remember them at this time. If the custom pads do not reduce the noise level on the NeoTec 2 appreciably, I will get another GT Air 2. It is a nice helmet.

Score:

GT Air 2: 7
NeoTec 2: 1
1 x

\

Prof J
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Shoei GT Air 2 -vs- Shoei NeoTec 2

Post by Prof J » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:36 pm

I had a 1/2" pad and and 1/4" pad made, and picked them up a few days ago. Installed the 1/2" one, which goes from cheek to cheek. The helmet is a much more snug fit along the cheeks, lower neck, and back of neck. The extra back neck portion does push the helmet just a bit towards the front/forehead, so a little more snug there, also.

It is quieter. 'Comfort' fit wise, the GT still has a better, overall fit. Right now I have not back to back ride compared to the Neotec 2 to the Air 2, but will do that soon, and post up my observations.
0 x

\

Prof J
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Shoei GT Air 2 -vs- Shoei NeoTec 2

Post by Prof J » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Here's a photo of the 1/2" pad I had made up for the Shoei Neo Tec 2.

It is notably more snug around the cheeks and neck, cuts the wind noise some. I have to do more riding with it to check it against the GT Air 2 noise. Velcro's in. I have a 1/4" pad, as well. Have not tried it yet.

0 x

\

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik