Radiator protection and downpipe grille

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Re: Radiator protection and downpipe grille

Post by PhukDD » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm
PhukDD wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:44 pm
Ya, I learned a lot today, one lesson was the wife was better at getting this done than me...lol she is good with her hands.
Smaller fingers are a plus for that job.

I've been thinking about those annoying nuts on the downpipe grille, and I'm wondering if they're even necessary. The instructions explicitly state that you should *NOT* tighten them (tighten only until the locknut engages), so the only reason for their existence is to keep the bottom tabs of the grille over then ends of the bolts. That's why the nut must be a locknut, as there's not supposed to be any torque on it.

I think that the tabs would likely stay hooked over the grille without the nuts. Alternately, it might make much more sense to simply pick up longer bolts, which would keep the tabs hooked to the bolts without the need for the nut. According to the parts fiche, the bolt is an M5 X 16 mm long. I need to place an order with Partzilla, so I think I'll pick up some longer bolts and see what happens.
I think you are correct, only downsize would be maybe that thing buzzing from vibration
0 x

stk0308
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '01 YZ426f, '08 Sprint ST, '16 Street Triple R, '18 H2 SX SE

Post by stk0308 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm
stk0308 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 pm
The R&G rad guard I have on my Street Triple also mounts to the radiator mounts directly. So, I expect this would be the same. The pipe guard looks like it mounts to the fairing, though.
The pipe guard does mount to the fairing. I have both and like them, but the downpipe grille does make it a pain to remove the lower part of the fairing. The lower mount for the downpipe grille attaches via a locknut that attaches over the exposed part of the forward lower bolt. The thing is, there's very little clearance there, and getting that little locknut and washer on and off in a blind, tight, reverse spot is a pain. If you take your finger and feel inside the lower fairing cross brace to where the bolt protrudes, that's where the locknut and washer go, but because the guard blocks the front, you've got to feel it in blind from behind.
Yup. I went with both the rad and pipe guard late last year. I must have make 8 attempts to get the pipe guard set, and about 3 for the rad unit before that. I'm not looking forward to trying to get enough of the left side fairing loose to do an air cleaner service.
0 x

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

kingroslolo
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 sx se #251

Post by kingroslolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 am

Nope, only one side stay on the other so one screw more...
0 x

:cheer: :cheer:

kingroslolo
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by kingroslolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:29 am

Got it from RG Factory, shipped from 🇬🇧 to 🇺🇸
0 x

kingroslolo
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by kingroslolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 am

Shipping from 🇬🇧 to 🇺🇸 10 days...
0 x

CoolDaddyGroove
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2019 H2 SX

Post by CoolDaddyGroove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 pm

I installed the Rad Guard just now, now attacking the down pipe guard. Included instruction's photos are so poor, they are almost useless. And the link to the online PDF here is broken.

https://assets4.rg-racing.com/Images/si ... 02018-.pdf

Guess and By Golly I guess
0 x

CoolDaddyGroove
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2019 H2 SX

Post by CoolDaddyGroove » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:39 pm

On the son-of-a-bitch scale the rad was about a 4, but the downpipe grill was an 8. Always good to have a 9 year old around who thinks it's cool when Dad's head is jammed between the floor and the fairing and is willing to offer her tiny hands
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik