Radiator protection and downpipe grille

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Re: Radiator protection and downpipe grille

Post by Burmashave » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 pm

PhukDD wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Burmashave wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm
stk0308 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 pm
The R&G rad guard I have on my Street Triple also mounts to the radiator mounts directly. So, I expect this would be the same. The pipe guard looks like it mounts to the fairing, though.
The pipe guard does mount to the fairing. I have both and like them, but the downpipe grille does make it a pain to remove the lower part of the fairing. The lower mount for the downpipe grille attaches via a locknut that attaches over the exposed part of the forward lower bolt. The thing is, there's very little clearance there, and getting that little locknut and washer on and off in a blind, tight, reverse spot is a pain. If you take your finger and feel inside the lower fairing cross brace to where the bolt protrudes, that's where the locknut and washer go, but because the guard blocks the front, you've got to feel it in blind from behind.
How long would you say the installation takes? I have not opened the box yet, and if I have not read the H2SX owner manual yet, I sure as hell won’t read any installation directions.
I did mine a long time ago when I had the fairing off to check the impeller for axial play. Didn't take me long. I'd advise reading the directions, but hey if you want to give them a miss, go ahead.
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 am

Burmashave wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 pm
PhukDD wrote:
Burmashave wrote:
stk0308 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 pm
The R&G rad guard I have on my Street Triple also mounts to the radiator mounts directly. So, I expect this would be the same. The pipe guard looks like it mounts to the fairing, though.
The pipe guard does mount to the fairing. I have both and like them, but the downpipe grille does make it a pain to remove the lower part of the fairing. The lower mount for the downpipe grille attaches via a locknut that attaches over the exposed part of the forward lower bolt. The thing is, there's very little clearance there, and getting that little locknut and washer on and off in a blind, tight, reverse spot is a pain. If you take your finger and feel inside the lower fairing cross brace to where the bolt protrudes, that's where the locknut and washer go, but because the guard blocks the front, you've got to feel it in blind from behind.
How long would you say the installation takes? I have not opened the box yet, and if I have not read the H2SX owner manual yet, I sure as hell won’t read any installation directions.
I did mine a long time ago when I had the fairing off to check the impeller for axial play. Didn't take me long. I'd advise reading the directions, but hey if you want to give them a miss, go ahead.
So if the plastic have to come off and a normal person could do it in an hour or so I should plan on 3. Got it.
0 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Burmashave » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 am

PhukDD wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 am
Burmashave wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 pm
PhukDD wrote:
Burmashave wrote:

So if the plastic have to come off and a normal person could do it in an hour or so I should plan on 3. Got it.
Yup, I'd call it a few hours total.

And as for the nut on the downpipe guard, it's not a huge deal. It's just that when you want to pull the lower fairing bolts -- as mebbe to create more clearance when changing the oil filter -- you've got to monkey around with the fiddly nut that holds the bottom part of the grille.
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by PhukDD » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:25 am

Thanks for the input...as my garage is about 140*F in the afternoon I will start this one early
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by PhukDD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:00 am

And this is why I pay phuking folks to help me do shit....4 hours in my.....garage probably 110* only got the top two mounts in on the radiator guard. Spent hours trying to get the bottom mount bolt threaded..the 5 yr old knocked a fairing down and it is scratched..but this all looked solid on paper. Ez job
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by PhukDD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:02 am

We will continue tomorrow...normal person 2 hr job....me x4
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by PhukDD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Yep took 4.5 hrs, mostly cuz I put it on wrong the first time🤦🏼‍♀️ . And I think I will pay for oil changes from here on out, I never want to have to put that lower grill on again.
0 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Burmashave » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:31 pm

If you pay to have it changed, I'd warn the mechanic that there's a locknut on the end of the front bottom fairing bolt. Otherwise, he'd likely just try to spin off the bolt and wonder why it's not coming out, possibly stripping it.

That locknut is a bit fiddly, but not insurmountable. To remove it, I get a small wrench on the locknut and spin the bolt out. When remounting, I spin the bolt in until it protrudes a good bit and then slip the washer over. Then I hold the nut over the end of the protruding bolt with one finger while spinning the bolt until the locknut threads. Once it threads, I tighten the bolt all the way in and use a wobbler on a 1/4" drive to tighten the locknut, remembering that the locknut only needs to be tightened until it engages.
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by PhukDD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:44 pm

Ya, I learned a lot today, one lesson was the wife was better at getting this done than me...lol she is good with her hands.
0 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Burmashave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm

PhukDD wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:44 pm
Ya, I learned a lot today, one lesson was the wife was better at getting this done than me...lol she is good with her hands.
Smaller fingers are a plus for that job.

I've been thinking about those annoying nuts on the downpipe grille, and I'm wondering if they're even necessary. The instructions explicitly state that you should *NOT* tighten them (tighten only until the locknut engages), so the only reason for their existence is to keep the bottom tabs of the grille over then ends of the bolts. That's why the nut must be a locknut, as there's not supposed to be any torque on it.

I think that the tabs would likely stay hooked over the grille without the nuts. Alternately, it might make much more sense to simply pick up longer bolts, which would keep the tabs hooked to the bolts without the need for the nut. According to the parts fiche, the bolt is an M5 X 16 mm long. I need to place an order with Partzilla, so I think I'll pick up some longer bolts and see what happens.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik