My thoughts on my Vandemon exhaust and install. With video clip.

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

My thoughts on my Vandemon exhaust and install. With video clip.

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:51 am

:clap:
I ordered the full system with both the regular "touring" style muffler and the H2R style muffler. I'll try to get around to posting some pictures later.

The system is beautiful in person with awesome looking welds and quality material.

Two things I didn't like is the only instructions they send are for attaching the free "vandemon" sticker they send, and that you have to reuse the factory hardware (8 header nuts, the middle hanger bolt+nut and the rear hanger bolt+nut. The nut for the center hanger is sandwiched between 2 metal tabs on the cat and I had to pry out off of the cat to reuse it.

I used my service manual to guide me through the removal of the stock system and install of the new exhaust. The removal of the stock system was more difficult than the install. I'm surprised at how much stuff had to be removed to pull the system. I had to take off both side fairings, the upper fairings, the plastic pieces on the side of the seats, the seat bracket and I had to take the gas tank bolts out as well as draining the radiator and removing the lower radiator bolt. It was all fairly straight forward.

I tried to install the whole system at once and leaving all the hardware loose without using the springs that hold the collectors to the primary tubes and mid pipes. I was able to install the 2 collectors but couldn't get them to line up with the mid pipe right. I put the springs on the primary tubes and the collectors and everything started lining up right. I wasn't sure if it was going to work so I didn't pull off the stickers labeling the various connections. Although after looking at it it was pretty self explanatory if you look at it and put the tabs for the spring connections towards the outside of the bike (so can reach them) everything lines up. The stickers were a little tricky to remove with the springs in place but I got them off. The mid pipe took a little wiggling to get into place and lined up perfect but it just needed to be put in at the right angle and it slid on with no issues. I decided to install the H2R style muffler and save the touring muffler for trips. I had to look at a picture online of how the muffler hanger bracket was supposed to sit.

After installing I wiped the whole system down with rubbing alcohol to prevent any fingerprints from showing up as the system changes colors. I'm glad I did because I noticed the plug for the 02 sensor bung was loose. I tightened it down, reattached the radiator + hoses and topped the coolant off. The proper way to refill the coolant requires letting the engine idle until the radiator fans kick on.

I started it up and it ran a little rough until it got up above 150°F. Once warm it smoothed out. I couldn't believe how loud it was. It seemed louder than my 2012 ZX10R with an M4 GP style exhaust. I finished the coolant fill procedure and shut the bike off.

After putting the bike back together I started it again. Warm up was still a little rough it sounded like a cammed muscle car. As it was warming up I sat on it and lifted it off the kickstand. I felt the bike kind of rocking side to side underneath me. My first thought was that it was misfiring and causing the bike to shake. Then I realized I was feeling the gas slosh in the tank. I had never felt that before it must be because of having less weight down low. I revved it a little. When I hit 5k rpms it was too loud in my garage and hurt my ears. I took it for a quick spin up the road. It wasn't to loud when moving but at a stop it was loud if revved. The QS sounds amazing in both directions. The tone is about perfect and the launch control sounds like it'll wake the dead. I noticed it shooting fireballs out the pipe when shifting at high rpms.

I'll continue this thread with more information from my ride today some time tomorrow.
Attachments
20180927_170340.jpg
20180927_142823.jpg
20180927_131518.jpg
20180927_125951.jpg
Last edited by cOoTeR on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: My thoughts on my Vandemon exhaust and install.

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:43 pm

It was dark when I installed it. When i took it out I was shifting just below redline and it was popping and shooting flames out. But normal shifting didn't pop at all. I just took it up the road and back home to make sure everything was working ok.

Yesterday I went for a ride on it. I haven't had it tuned for the exhaust so I didn't push it too hard but i did open it up a little here and there. (I do have a flash and tune in it for the stock system). It sounds amazing when accelerating. When holding the throttle steady or sounds the same as another sport bike while moving. But I think off of the bike it will sound really loud. When I revved it up in my garage to 5k rpms that's about all I could handle. Getting onto the freeway is fun. Out here the speed limit is 75mph on the highway but most people go 80-85. I set the cruise at 84 and the exhaust was quieter than the wind noise. The only time I would notice it is when I would accelerate back up to speed.

I met up with a friend on a Triumph Speed Triple 1050 with a remus slipon and we headed for the mountains. Going through town I couldn't hear his bike but he could hear mine no matter who was in front. At a stop light I decided to get on it. The front came up way sooner and easier than before. I accidently did a wheelie across a 4 lane intersection. I doubt the exhaust added that much power without the bike being tuned for it. I think it's because of the drop in weight from the bottom of the bike more than anything. As we got further out of town I rolled into it a few more times and it is definetly coming up easier and sooner in the rpm range.

In the mountains it was a blast listening to the sound bouncing off of the canyon walls and listening to the shifts using the quick shifter.

It only took a couple heat cycles for the primary tubes to start changing blue and purple and they look great. I can't wait for the mid pipe too start changing.
1 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Burmashave » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Hey C0oTeR, thanks for sharing in detail.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm
Hey C0oTeR, thanks for sharing in detail.
No problem.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is a YouTube link to my bike idle and 5,000rpms.

2 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Re: My thoughts on my Vandemon exhaust and install. With video clip.

Post by Champ87 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:33 pm

It even looks loud
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

JHulk18
Bike(s): Ninja H2 sx se, Ducati Xdiavel

Post by JHulk18 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 am

Do ever find the exhaust to loud? I’m debating on this to exhaust but I like to do long trips I’m just wondering if it would get annoying after a 4 hour ride.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 am

JHulk18 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 am
Do ever find the exhaust to loud? I’m debating on this to exhaust but I like to do long trips I’m just wondering if it would get annoying after a 4 hour ride.
I think it would depend on the type of riding your doing. I had it out for a 3 and a half hour ride the other day with no issues. When cruising at a steady speed it's hardly noticeable, but when accelerating in a low gear you hear it. But I love the sound.

I also bought the standard vandemon muffler so I can use my saddlebags as well. All I need to do is swap out the mufflers depending what I want on the bike. The H2R style muffler I have on it now also has a removable baffle that I took out before even starting the bike.
Attachments
20180925_211743.jpg
Removable baffle.
20180904_144747.jpg
The "standard" muffler.
1 x

Delearious02
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Delearious02 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Nice write up. I too feel the gas sloshing around when I first got the bike it took me off guard but soon I figured out that it was the gas going back and forth. I wonder why the feeling of the gas is so pronounced in this bike vs. my Hayabusas and B-kings.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik