Sprint Filter P08 and Sprint Filter P08 F1 filter differences

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Sprint Filter P08 and Sprint Filter P08 F1 filter differences

Post by Prof J » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:51 am

For folks who have used the Sprint Filter P08 and P08 F1-85, with tunes to each filter, what are your observations. The F1 has a notable CFM difference. If that higher CFM filter was fitted to a ZX-14, to gain the extra HP/TQ, the bike would need to be costumed tuned to the F1 filter. If doesn't take much of a CFM change on the 14 to throw off the bikes AFR/performance. I suspect it's gotta be about the same on the H2SX's.

Anyone know the square inches of the P08 filter? (it flows 15,000 l/m2/sec - am I correct calculating that is 'about' 530 CFM)

Anyway, how about for the H2SX?
0 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: Sprint Filter P08 and Sprint Filter P08 F1 filter differences

Post by Prof J » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Near 10 years ago I spent a lot of time fab'in up various custom filters, after running out of vendor versions, for the M109, and a little later, the ZX-14. One of the interesting things I learned from fabricating the filters was that each bump in flow ability, also would bring a little more HP/TQ, provided you tuned/retuned the bike to the change.

For the stock M109, an 1800cc bike, when I visited K & N and Unifilter, they both advised me that the bike would, at max, flow 'about' 120 CFM. K &N uses a formula for calculating an approximate CF flow rate for their filters of L x W (of the filter material, not counting the frame) X 6 = approximated CFM.

To make this story short, I ended up, after going through all the vendor special high flow filters, fabricating filtering for that bike, starting by doubling the CFM, and working up to in the mid 700's CFM. The bike almost topped out it's FI system by that time, which then was in the low 90's percentile.

With the H2SX it appears that the Sprint brand of high-flow, aftermarket filter seems popular. As you all know, Sprint has 3 which are for the H2/variants:

P08 5,050 l/m2/sec 80μm /176 CFM
race use 10,000 l/m2/sec. 160μm /353 CFM
P08 F1 15,000 l/m2/sec 85 μm /529 CFM

Hope I made those conversions correctly.

Though this is only speculation, no hard data that I know of to support a finding, I've read comments about various aftermarket setups, custom maps, filters, etc., and that Brock has dyno charts (I know, I know, I can hear the debate already - but let's not), showing 240 HP. Maybe there are other folks, with different setups with equal or more, not that the higher HP and or TQ is really important . . .

However, what caught my interest from a series of dyno charts was the use of the F1 filter as part of the bike's setup.

I'd sure like to see any dyno runs, with similar setups (headers/pipes), but different filters/different filter flow rates. I gotta believe that the F1 filter, if flowing as reported by Sprint, would make a reasonable difference for a custom tune. Perhaps 8-10 HP, given that the exhaust is not blocking the intake. If so, that filter difference, P08 v P08 F1, may account for general dyno disparity differences, again not arguing differences in dyno's, make, etc, just a generalization re: filters.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik