Arghhhh stone chip on top of my tank

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Arthurgee
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 SX Tourer

Arghhhh stone chip on top of my tank

Post by Arthurgee » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm

I have a couple of what i can only describe as stone chips on the top of my tank near the fuel cap :bash:
Does anyone know where i can get a hold of a small chip paint pot to fill in the chips? I dont want to leave it and allow crap to get in there. Any advice/help appreciated.
0 x

HouTexH2SX
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '18 H2 SX SE

Re: Arghhhh stone chip on top of my tank

Post by HouTexH2SX » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Color Rite makes a touch-up pen or small jars of matching paint. The color code is Kawasaki 3356 60R for the SE green and you need to apply the 1356 base coat for larger areas. I had a small chip on my tank that I just filled with the green without the base coat and it came out fine.

If you have the base model I'm sure they have a match as well.
2 x

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): sx1000

Post by keith zx » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:57 am

I also have a mark on my tank possible chip ??? have bought the touch up paint from rs paints taking my time to try and do a neat job but its'a

pain trying to get this paint to fill in the mark , if you put too much paint in the green is too dark, any tips , the paint doesn't seem to want to

take ..think it may be a defect in the paint process???
Attachments
STONE CHIP.jpg
Last edited by keith zx on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Verizoncellular1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Guys I had two of these and dealer had Kawi cover replacement tank for paint defect. $1200.00 job. I had them inspect valves while tank was off.
0 x

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by keith zx » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:13 pm

its funny as I was assuming I had been hit by a stone chip , but due to were it is I was thinking could it be some kind of paint defect, the bike has done 2300 miles now so I would have thought it would be hard to prove, my bike is always cleaned and polished and I never noticed the mark on the paint when I put it away , but noticed it as soon as I took it back out of the garage !!!
0 x

Burmashave
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Burmashave » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm

While we're on the topic of touch up paint, I have a small scratch on my frame that I'd touch up if I could guess what kind of pen or product to purchase. The Colorite site only provides matches for the body paint. Does anyone have a good idea on how to touch up a frame member?
0 x

Fitz
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Fitz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:19 am

Mines in exact same spot, also curious about it being some defect, though seems odd.
0 x

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by keith zx » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 am

like I said my bike had a good clean and polish before it went out I would have noticed if it was marked , I also never noticed it when I put the bike away but noticed it as soo n as I took it out of the garage I was just assuming I had been hit by a stone ??? taking me ages to try and get the chip blended in it seemed as if the paint did not want to take to the tank at first , but with patience think I will get it as good as I want it .if you put too much green on it is too dark , so started to mix the golden blaze speckles with the green paint and building it up bit by bit ,them polishing it back , two days at it now !!!!! will post a finished pic if I succeed !!
0 x

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by keith zx » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:54 am

I am having trouble getting the touch up paint to take properly to the tank , I am now starting to think this is some kind of defect , there are three people on here now saying they have the same mark in the same place , it is highly unlikely for a stone to hit were the nark is and leave a polished mark on the tank , I may contact the dealer and ask the question, would be good to hear if there are any more than just the three mentioned here
0 x

Verizoncellular1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:14 pm

My replacement was completed about 12 months into ownership, about 15,000 miles at that time.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik