hugger and new screen

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Re: hugger and new screen

Post by danham » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:22 pm

As soon as I pick up my SE (any day now), I plan to transfer this device from my BMW. It made a difference, allowing me to aim the air where I wanted it, which is just enough on my torso to help unweight my wrists.

I can report back if you like:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-c ... e-included

-dan
0 x

Gadus
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Gadus » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:26 am

danham wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:22 pm
As soon as I pick up my SE (any day now), I plan to transfer this device from my BMW. It made a difference, allowing me to aim the air where I wanted it, which is just enough on my torso to help unweight my wrists.

-dan
I had the same MRA device on my previous BMW, but it made no difference to me. Not god looking either.

I even tried this one https://www.laminarlip.com/k1200s.php with the same result.
0 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:21 am

Gadus wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:26 am

I had the same MRA device on my previous BMW, but it made no difference to me. Not god looking either.

I even tried this one https://www.laminarlip.com/k1200s.php with the same result.
I have a friend who is 6'9" and the laminar lip made a huge difference for him. All of which goes to show that there are a ton of variables involved: rider height, screen shape, helmet shape, posture, even jacket collars can influence airflow and mean the difference between clean air and nasty buffeting.

That's why I prefer to experiment with an adjustable device. If you buy an expensive new fixed screen and it doesn't work for you, you are hosed.

-dan
0 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2SXSE , 2009 Buell Lightning

Post by Zdude » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:01 pm

danham wrote:

-dan
Dan, would like to hear your impressions when you mount this. I've looked at it several times but didn't pull the trigger because I don't know anybody who has used one and don't want to spend til someone who has one on an SXSE relates the experience. I have also considered the short SX screen but planning an extended trip this summer and if the clip-on would work, I'll give it a go, would rather have more protection for a long trip and unclip for normal riding. Looking forward to your impressions. Thanks an!
1 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Zdude,

Will do. I can tell you that on my BMW F800 ST it calmed things down a bit, meaning in conditions where buffeting was likely, such as behind trucks or certain SUVs, it made things a bit smoother. It also seemed to send more bugs up and over my helmet and helped a little to deflect raindrops. At all other times it simply moved the airflow up enough to keep my helmet from getting moved around much. But I'd be lying if I said it made a dramatic difference. Was it worth the money? Yes, for me, as I really didn't want to invest in a new screen for the reasons stated above. When I ride the ST for the last time, to trade in at the Kawi dealer, the MRA will be sitting at home, so perhaps its absence will be more noticeable.

I'll report back when I get my bike, which I hope will be this coming week.

-dan
1 x

theoldone
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by theoldone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 pm

just returned from a 575 mile round trip to the texas hill country. I have the mra xc mounted on a powerbronze double bubble wind screen. I was able to run interstate 10 at 80 mph on cruise control sitting straight up in the saddle. I put about 200 miles running the hill country twisties hitting a little over 100 mph several times and I never had any issues with the mra. It worked great and made the ride much more enjoyable. I am 6 ft 2 in.
2 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 am

Zdude wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:01 pm
danham wrote:

-dan
Dan, would like to hear your impressions when you mount this. I've looked at it several times but didn't pull the trigger because I don't know anybody who has used one and don't want to spend til someone who has one on an SXSE relates the experience. I have also considered the short SX screen but planning an extended trip this summer and if the clip-on would work, I'll give it a go, would rather have more protection for a long trip and unclip for normal riding. Looking forward to your impressions. Thanks an!
Because I'm still on break-in, I haven't ridden over 70 mph. But at that speed I see no need for the MRA. I'm getting very clean air and no buffeting with the stock SE screen, so unless higher speeds change things a lot, I won't need the spoiler at all. Wind protection seems better than on my BMW. My last ride on the BMW without the MRA featured a bit more buffeting, but truth be told, the difference was not huge.

Hope this is helpful.

-dan
0 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Zdude » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for the update Dan. I'm still considering the lower SX stock screen and if I go that route then for an extended trip I might opt for the clip-on version of the MRX, something easy to install or remove and use only for long trips. Anyway, I appreciate your sharing your impression and after break-in how higher speed effect things. Also a shout out to "theoldone" from the "almost" as old one" (65 now, 66 in May) for sharing his experience!
1 x

danham
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by danham » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Zdude wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm
Thanks for the update Dan. I'm still considering the lower SX stock screen and if I go that route then for an extended trip I might opt for the clip-on version of the MRX, something easy to install or remove and use only for long trips. Anyway, I appreciate your sharing your impression and after break-in how higher speed effect things. Also a shout out to "theoldone" from the "almost" as old one" (65 now, 66 in May) for sharing his experience!
If you decide to go for it, and if my high speed testing doesn't reveal a hidden bunch of wind problems, I'd be happy to sell you mine for short money.

As for age, I'm 68 and subscribe to the theory of relativity: the faster you ride, the younger you get.

-dan
1 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Zdude » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Thanks Dan. Age is a body condition, everything you love comes fro the heart and mind. I told my wife when we got married 40 years ago that if she wanted me to not grow old then to leave me and my motorcycles alone -LOL!!! She did, except that she tried to push me more towards Harleys and cruiser bikes which over the years I tried but that just isn't what keeps the fire burning in me, it's performance and thrills which those bikes don't stoke. Anyway, I ride high performance bikes and prefer my music hard and loud with a lot of bass and screaming electric guitar, that's what I like and that's what I do and most likely will till I can't anymore!
3 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik