Electronics fried after wash??

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Re: Electronics fried after wash??

Post by Champ87 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Jkwan0902 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am
Hey guys and gals, so I have a bit of a problem. I washed my SX SE the other day and when I went to start the bike today the TFT display and lights for my tach don’t work, blinkers don’t work and high beam doesn’t work. She started up just fine but seems most on board electronics are fried. What’s your guys thoughts??
I doubt it anything got fried – sounds like a temporary problem that can be fixed with some dry out time.

On the SE high beam and turn signals are both controlled by the meter/display unit. Since the display and tach also aren’t working you should focus on that unit first. There are 2 fuses to the meter unit. The switched supply comes through Fuse 1 in Fuse Box 1. It’s unlikely to be that one because the bike would not start and run if that was blown. That leaves Fuse 3 (10A) in Fuse Box 2 that protects the constant feed to the meter/display unit. Gotta be the first place to look.

If the fuse is blown then it may blow again if there is water in the connectors that hasn’t dried out. If I was in your situation I’d leave it running for a bit to see if engine heat rising up through the fairing would dry it out. If that doesn’t do it then it’s fairing off to inspect the connector to the display unit for trapped water.

20181125_4684.jpg
Last edited by Champ87 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 pm

danham wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:15 pm
What I have seen is a frightening assortment of multi-connectors that are only somewhat shielded from the weather (or wash spray).
A good number of those connectors are sealed type so they have a high degree of water resistance. However, there are some connectors that are not sealed , the most notable being the ignition switch, so the bike could still suffer problems if giving enough of a soaking.
1 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Jkwan0902
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): Ninja H2 SE

Post by Jkwan0902 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Thank u all for your reply’s and help!! All I had to do today when I got out was pull all fuses and reinsert. Everything was perfect again. Went and rode the bike for about 3 hours with no hiccups. Thanks again for everybody’s help!!
2 x

superduty
Bike(s): H2 SXSE

Post by superduty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 am

My bike developed an intermittent display issue during a ride to Austin, TX last October. Four of the five days on that trip were in fairly significant rain. Originally I thought the problem was due to moisture but since then I've changed my view.

The problem with my display was upon turning the key on the display would not come up and the tach needle would not sweep. All the idiot lights would illuminate and the bike would start. The only way to correct this problem was to turn the bike off and then on again. Sometimes several times. Other possibly related problems include a malfunction of the ambient light sensor and lack of control of the option menu by the Mode button.

Long story short, my dealer just replaced the display unit last weekend. I expect the problem to be fixed but we'll see.

Even though I originally thought water caused my issue, it did reoccur in dry conditions. It seems that periodically the display unit wouldn't boot correctly and I'm pretty sure that the reason for these display problems.

Get your bike to your dealer and make them sort this out.

NOTE: The odometer is recorded in the display unit and when the unit is replaced the mileage goes to 0.
3 x

Jkwan0902
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Jkwan0902 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:15 am

superduty wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 am
My bike developed an intermittent display issue during a ride to Austin, TX last October. Four of the five days on that trip were in fairly significant rain. Originally I thought the problem was due to moisture but since then I've changed my view.

The problem with my display was upon turning the key on the display would not come up and the tach needle would not sweep. All the idiot lights would illuminate and the bike would start. The only way to correct this problem was to turn the bike off and then on again. Sometimes several times. Other possibly related problems include a malfunction of the ambient light sensor and lack of control of the option menu by the Mode button.

Long story short, my dealer just replaced the display unit last weekend. I expect the problem to be fixed but we'll see.

Even though I originally thought water caused my issue, it did reoccur in dry conditions. It seems that periodically the display unit wouldn't boot correctly and I'm pretty sure that the reason for these display problems.

Get your bike to your dealer and make them sort this out.

NOTE: The odometer is recorded in the display unit and when the unit is replaced the mileage goes to 0.
Thanks so much for this info!! If this issue pops back up I’ll be sure to bring it into the dealer.
0 x

superduty

Post by superduty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:32 am

So just a quick update about my display issue. The replacement of the display unit did not correct the problem. On my way to work this morning I stopped at a convenience store. When I tried to start the bike after being in the store for a couple of minutes the display wouldn't come up and the tach wouldn't sweep. Took at least 5 recycling attempts before it would boot. I wonder what the dealer/Kawi will say when I tell them tomorrow.
1 x

Jkwan0902
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Jkwan0902 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:45 pm

superduty wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:32 am
So just a quick update about my display issue. The replacement of the display unit did not correct the problem. On my way to work this morning I stopped at a convenience store. When I tried to start the bike after being in the store for a couple of minutes the display wouldn't come up and the tach wouldn't sweep. Took at least 5 recycling attempts before it would boot. I wonder what the dealer/Kawi will say when I tell them tomorrow.
Have u tried taking out and putting back in the fuses under the pillion seat?? Seems like it might not help but u never know. I’d give it a shot
0 x

superduty

Post by superduty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Have u tried taking out and putting back in the fuses under the pillion seat?? Seems like it might not help but u never know. I’d give it a shot
It's a coms problem. When the display fails the symptoms are always the same. The display always has power. The oil pressure, neutral indicator, turn signal indicators, etc. all light. The display doesn't seem to be getting information from the ECU. Kawi USA agrees and a new ECU has been ordered.
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik