Has anyone found a steering damper for the H2 SX SE?

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Has anyone found a steering damper for the H2 SX SE?

Post by cOoTeR » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm

57x wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm
cOoTeR wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm
57x wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 pm
I tried to install a damper at the lower triple using a fork clamp. I finally gave up as the SE lines are very much in the way. Offsetting the damper out to clear the lines and I didn't have enough damper travel. It may be possible to move the lines around but I wanted to ride eighth my new flash. Maybe another day I'll take it apart again.
Where did you mount the damper to the frame?
I was trying to use the bolt that holds down the front fairing with a spacer. If I have time I will play with making an offset bracket for the damper and make brackets to move the brake/clutch lines away from the lower triple. It seems possible, just some fab work.
The one were doing mounts infront of the gas tank like on the zx10r. We're trying a universal fork mount under the upper triple tree. If that doesn't work my friend is going to fab a mount.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Raddy47
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Raddy47 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:51 pm

I got in touch with GPR last week. Randy Norman told me this..
“Sorry it would take a lot of cutting of the oem plastic to make a rotary damper work on that bike.

We have looked at it in the past but I don’t think anyone would want to do that to that bike.”

I told him I agreed. But that was before getting to 164 and wobbling. I’ll cut the hell out of whatever to get a great stabilizer.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 am

Raddy47 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:51 pm
“Sorry it would take a lot of cutting of the oem plastic to make a rotary damper work on that bike.

We have looked at it in the past but I don’t think anyone would want to do that to that bike.”

I told him I agreed. But that was before getting to 164 and wobbling. I’ll cut the hell out of whatever to get a great stabilizer.
The fork mount I bought was advertised as a 50mm and supposed to be here Friday the 15th. It arrived today (the 18th) and was a 54mm :bash: . Really pisses me off because I entered a 1/2 mile event coming up on the 30th that requires a damper.

But on a good note if the fork mount had been the correct/ advertised size my setup will work with a small spacer. I ordered another fork mount, hopefully it's the correct size otherwise I'm going to have to cobble together a temporary set up.

I'll post a picture of where I'm at so far. Hopefully some greedy A-hole doesn't steal the design for profit.
Attachments
26443.jpeg
2 x

Raddy47
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Raddy47 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 am

cOoTeR wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 am
Raddy47 wrote:

The fork mount I bought was advertised as a 50mm and supposed to be here Friday the 15th. It arrived today (the 18th) and was a 54mm :bash: . Really pisses me off because I entered a 1/2 mile event coming up on the 30th that requires a damper.

But on a good note if the fork mount had been the correct/ advertised size my setup will work with a small spacer. I ordered another fork mount, hopefully it's the correct size otherwise I'm going to have to cobble together a temporary set up.

I'll post a picture of where I'm at so far. Hopefully some greedy A-hole doesn't steal the design for profit.
Keep at it friendo. And keep us updated. I’m waiting with anticipation
1 x

dan_h2sx
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2015 Yamaha MT09, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2SXSE

Post by dan_h2sx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am

cOoTeR wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 am
Raddy47 wrote:

Looks good! I was thinking of the same way of mounting it to the frame but didn't have a clue yet on how to connect it to the forks. Keep us updated, as I have just made a theoretical plan. Don't wanna buy a damper and get parts milled without knowing if it's actually going to work. Don't really wanna do a top speed run without damper :-/
0 x

Ride fast & ride far!

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:31 pm

I ordered another fork mount from another company. I paid for express shipping but they sent me a USPS tracking number. I gave them 4 or 5 days and it never showed as shipped. So I emailed them and explained that I have a race coming up and needed the mount ASAP so i could finish the damper mount. 2 days they didn't respond so my friend said he'd make a fork mount as well. He finished it last night. It took awhile to find the spot where it won't rub anything but still gives full lock to lock steering. Here is the first rough finished mount system. I'm going to be running it at a half mile event tomorrow.

If anyone is interested I can see if my friend is interested in making some more mounts and selling them.
Attachments
27180.jpeg
5 x

Fitz
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Fitz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Let us know how it goes, I'd sure be interested in buying the (2?) pieces from your friend if he decided he wanted to fab up like 10 each of them and sell them on the forum/facebook. Make maybe a decent little bit of side cash.

No rubbing at full lock? Looks like it might still hit the tank.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Fitz wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:13 pm
Let us know how it goes, I'd sure be interested in buying the (2?) pieces from your friend if he decided he wanted to fab up like 10 each of them and sell them on the forum/facebook. Make maybe a decent little bit of side cash.

No rubbing at full lock? Looks like it might still hit the tank.
I'll double check tonight when I pick the bike up. It is raised up to take advantage of the curved gap at the front of the tank. It's hard to get it in the right position where it wouldn't hamper lock to lock and not rub. I'm pretty sure it has more steering travel to the left for some reason. I'm pretty sure ours a 3 piece kit for the mounts and then you'll have to pick up a steering damper with the right amount of travel. I'll check and see if he'd be interested in selling them.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:56 pm

My friend is interested in selling them. He said he's got to refine it a little to make a kit. He wants to find a fork mount that is readily available then base the kit off of that.
0 x

Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Post by Burmashave » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Excellent work ,Cooter.
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik