Front Master Cylinder Components

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Matt21385
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE

Front Master Cylinder Components

Post by Matt21385 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:30 pm

When working on the bike tody, it has taken a hit to the handle bar on the right. The bar end has been damaged and now rotates. When rotating it makes a clicking sound. I know it hard to tell without seeing but could the inner part be damaged?

Also the 'L' shaped plastic pipe that sits to the right of the master cylinder had a very small amount of brake fluid. Where the 'L' shaped pipe connects at the bottom to flexible rubber. Should these two parts be sealed together or do they seal with compression? I have included a pic pointing to the connection I'm talking about.
Screenshot_20220112-182019_Samsung Internet.jpg
Thanks
0 x

Champ87
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Re: Front Master Cylinder Components

Post by Champ87 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:09 pm

Matt21385 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:30 pm
The bar end has been damaged and now rotates. When rotating it makes a clicking sound. I know it hard to tell without seeing but could the inner part be damaged?
Unlikely. The bar-end weight is attached to a damping weight inside the bar. The whole assembly is held in place with a metal clip. When you rotate the bar end, the clicking sound is the tangs of the clip clicking into the retaining holes.

2021_04_14_6381.jpg
Matt21385 wrote:
Also the 'L' shaped plastic pipe that sits to the right of the master cylinder had a very small amount of brake fluid. Where the 'L' shaped pipe connects at the bottom to flexible rubber. Should these two parts be sealed together or do they seal with compression? I have included a pic pointing to the connection I'm talking about.
Obviously, there shouldn't be fluid coming out of there, but if that L-shaped connector pipe took a hit then it could just be a little bit of seepage. It's also possible that connector is cracked. Best thing to do is clean it up and do frequent checks to see if any more fluid comes out. That pipe is not under high pressure so it shouldn't affect braking (unless all the fluid drains out :eek:). It's a $10 part so, if in doubt, replace.
1 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Matt21385
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Matt21385 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:30 pm

Champ87 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:09 pm
Matt21385 wrote:
The bar end has been damaged and now rotates. When rotating it makes a clicking sound. I know it hard to tell without seeing but could the inner part be damaged?
Unlikely. The bar-end weight is attached to a damping weight inside the bar. The whole assembly is held in place with a metal clip. When you rotate the bar end, the clicking sound is the tangs of the clip clicking into the retaining holes.

2021_04_14_6381.jpg
Matt21385 wrote:
Obviously, there shouldn't be fluid coming out of there, but if that L-shaped connector pipe took a hit then it could just be a little bit of seepage. It's also possible that connector is cracked. Best thing to do is clean it up and do frequent checks to see if any more fluid comes out. That pipe is not under high pressure so it shouldn't affect braking (unless all the fluid drains out :eek:). It's a $10 part so, if in doubt, replace.
Thanks for the response. Is it worth looking at aftermarket bar-ends or would I be best just to stick with the original?

I'll keep an eye on the 'L' shaped pipe for any more seepage and if I get any more I'll replace it.

Appreciate all your help
0 x

Champ87
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:38 pm

Matt21385 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:30 pm
Is it worth looking at aftermarket bar-ends or would I be best just to stick with the original?
The way the bar end weights attach is a bit unusual. I'd be inclined to stick with the original to avoid fitment issues. If you want to change bar end weights for something with a different look then it shouldn't be a big deal but it will be a try-it-and-see situation.
1 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Vex
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE, 2011 ZX-6R, 2017 Z125

Post by Vex » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:42 am

Yea...it sucks. I have woodcraft bar ends with a gap to mount things like mirrors. Even the thicker ones built for the Z125 didn't fit.

Essentially, I had to wrap the inner peg with the wonder tool, duct tape, then it tightened somewhat alright. They don't move around etc.

I also used a different bolt than the woodcraft one so I could reattach the weights inside.
2 x

2018 H2 SX SE
Brock's Penta Exhaust
Block Off Plates
Sprint P08 F1-85
Stage 1 SC
Tuned by 2WDW
242whp/106ftlbs

prettybirdSE
High Boost
High Boost
Bike(s): 2020 Ninja H2SE+

Post by prettybirdSE » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 am

'I know it hard to tell without seeing but could the inner part be damaged?'
Yes.That clip in there can easily get bent out of shape.Sounds like that's what happened.Clicking but not locking.I went through this.
I ended up getting some new CRG aftermarket bar ends and had a shop mill em(a little) so I could get the bar end mirror clamps on there(the CRG ones were a shade too small in diameter).Also had to wrap the inner shank with some duct tape to tighten em up where they'd fully tighten and firmly squeeze(into the bar end Fitment in the ID).I think I also bought a couple of longer bolts for em.
That factory clip deal is kind of a pain if the clip gets deformed.Mine never did seem to go back like stock after I removed em.Tried several times to make sure the clip was 'like new'.They never did fit the same.They'd click,but they weren't tight in there.
Last edited by prettybirdSE on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Matt21385
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Matt21385 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 am

I'll remove it today and have a look. Think I'll just stick with the genuine ones as at least I know they fit properly
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik