Inspect and Lube Rear Wheel Bearings

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
leroysch
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): '88 FLST, '94 916, '04 LeMans, '06 FLHX, '09 1125R, '13 F6B, '17 R Nine T Racer, '19 H2 SX SE+

Re: Inspect and Lube Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by leroysch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 am

prettybirdSE wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:43 pm
'Recall kit'?Please let us know what's in that kit...thanks.

'These are the same guys unwilling to mount a customer provided tire...wheel off.'...lol.WTH?They must be part of the 'woke' generation eh? :ugly:

But now that ya mention it,my dealer stopped doing that also.BUT...he said 'because you're a faithful customer,we'll do it'.I'm like,'HUH?' I says to meself.
I'm thinking well hells yes I kinda expect ya to change my tire.It's only been 20 years of supporting your business with new bike purchases and such.And NOT cheap bikes either lol.
Dealer finished the bearing install and gave me the balance of the kit so I could reassemble. The box:
20210918_100651 A.jpg
Consumeables:
20210918_100917.jpg
Besides the seals (2ea) and the bearing which were installed you get the circlip and what appears to be two bolts for the rear chain guard (kinda surprised be these, I reused the originals). The circular thing at the top looks like it was what the bearing was packaged in (its ID looks similar to the bearings OD). No cotter pin.
2 x

unknownbiker
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX, DR650

Post by unknownbiker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Changed the rear tire today, & checked on the needle bearings. About 5000kms since i 1st greased them so, looked good. If i go another 5000kms for my next rear tire i'll skip the inspection. Took about 20min to get to that point, once i had already done it before (last year).
Attachments
hub 21.jpg
0 x

Jesus Saves.

Verizoncellular1
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): Cbr1100 super tenere

Post by Verizoncellular1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:40 pm

My bike is at the dealer now and they can't do the recall because they don't have bearing puller large enough to get the old one out. Anyone have a tool part number that works? Their saying opening is about 50mm
0 x

lasttribunal
Bike(s): 2020 H2SXSE+, 2019 ZX14R, 2017 CBR1000RR, 2019 GSXS1000Z and several others

Post by lasttribunal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:26 am

My problem is: I dont trust the dealer to do the recall.. I have mech experience, but I dont trust myself enough to do it myself.. I only have 600 miles on my 2020 H2SXSE+. Should I even bother with the recall? Should I just grease the bearing and call it a day? Can anyone recommend an experienced tech within 100 miles from NY?
Should I just take my bike to Ohio and have Brock Davidson work on it?? I'm open to suggestions.. :)))

Thanks!
0 x

unknownbiker
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX, DR650

Post by unknownbiker » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:43 am

I got mine yesterday, I'm not taking it to the 'new' Kawasaki dealer we have here.... I may take it to the one an hour away but even then i'd only take the hub...maybe over the winter. :wink:
0 x

Jesus Saves.

prettybirdSE
High Boost
High Boost
Bike(s): 2020 Ninja H2SE+
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrrfbd ... V1aczGuzug

Post by prettybirdSE » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:56 am

"only have 600 miles on my 2020 H2SXSE+. Should I even bother with the recall? Should I just grease the bearing and call it a day?"
If it's only got 600 miles,and has good greasing in there,I can't imagine any damage at all.Long as it looks okay.

I checked mine several weeks ago...maybe like 2 months ago.It had plenty of grease.I just cleaned it off,inspected it for any signs of heat or wear,regreased,and buttoned her up.(2019SXSE+)Had at that time around 5K miles.Seals looked fine.Axle looked fine.

The problem I have is..the way it's been described in the recall and from owners it's not (to me)CLEAR if the greased bearings are actually faulty,or is it any bearing that looks undergreased COULD be damaged.(needle bearing).Maybe Kawasaki worded it the way they did to get people to come in and just change the thing,just in case.Is the new part number(if there is a 'new one' the same as the original ones?I saw the kit here.Obviously that has several parts in it,and so it wouldn't actually list I don't think as
needle bearing,part #,along with the rest.
I'm not taking mine in.Now if it was a different bearing number,then yeah.I most likely would.
1 x

Snakes709
Pressure Critical
Pressure Critical
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by Snakes709 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 pm

I just got a call from Kawasaki Canada, my mailing address wasnt updated so the recall notice was returned. Was hoping i could just bring my hub assembly in but they need the entire bike. Still got a couple weeks left of riding season so ill bring it in once the snow starts flying.
1 x

2018 H2 SX/SE
-ZX10R Headers
-2016+ ZX10R Yoshimura Alpha 3/4 system
-Sprint P08 Filter
-Vcyclenut flash
-Driven block off plates
-Yager Werx Intercooler
208whp 96tq

danham
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Post by danham » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 pm

prettybirdSE wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:56 am
"only have 600 miles on my 2020 H2SXSE+. Should I even bother with the recall? Should I just grease the bearing and call it a day?"
If it's only got 600 miles,and has good greasing in there,I can't imagine any damage at all.Long as it looks okay.

I checked mine several weeks ago...maybe like 2 months ago.It had plenty of grease.I just cleaned it off,inspected it for any signs of heat or wear,regreased,and buttoned her up.(2019SXSE+)Had at that time around 5K miles.Seals looked fine.Axle looked fine.

The problem I have is..the way it's been described in the recall and from owners it's not (to me)CLEAR if the greased bearings are actually faulty,or is it any bearing that looks undergreased COULD be damaged.(needle bearing).Maybe Kawasaki worded it the way they did to get people to come in and just change the thing,just in case.Is the new part number(if there is a 'new one' the same as the original ones?I saw the kit here.Obviously that has several parts in it,and so it wouldn't actually list I don't think as
needle bearing,part #,along with the rest.
I'm not taking mine in.Now if it was a different bearing number,then yeah.I most likely would.
This is just a semi-educated guess, so take it however you like. Here's why I think Kawi is calling for bearing replacement instead of the (to me) more logical procedure of disassembling, inspecting, and only replacing if damage is found. Kawi has to reimburse dealers for labor to do that. Then they have to worry that some technicians may not be good at spotting bearing damage and there could be major liability issues if a bearing gets okayed, then fails and locks up and injures somebody. The labor to go ahead and replace is not much more than to inspect. So really Kawi is only eating the parts costs compared to inspect and grease. Not worth it to them is my guess.

-dan
1 x

CiscoKid
Supercharged!
Supercharged!
Bike(s): 20 H2 SX SE/96 ZX1100D/2000ZX-9R

Post by CiscoKid » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 am

Snakes709 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 pm
I just got a call from Kawasaki Canada, my mailing address wasnt updated so the recall notice was returned. Was hoping i could just bring my hub assembly in but they need the entire bike. Still got a couple weeks left of riding season so ill bring it in once the snow starts flying.
Couple weeks riding left in AB, yikes , stored mine here in BC last Saturday, had a final glorius ride to Whistler. Got the recall as well for my 2020 SE, only require the rear wheel bearing not the pressure relief valve recall some may have got. I plan to buy ceramic rear wheel bearings when they do the fix in spring. Got the ZX11 back today from shpp[ w a fresh valve job done and can ride it when the nice sunny but cooler days come along over course of the winter, heated grips for sure:)
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik