Gas tank deep scratch repair

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Gas tank deep scratch repair

Post by Prof J » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 am

Who has done gas tank deep scratch repair, on the bike, and how'd it end up looking? What were your techniques/process?
0 x

\

MacDuff
Bike(s): Honda ATAS, '86 GSXR750, 93 900Superlight

Re: Gas tank deep scratch repair

Post by MacDuff » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am

probably depends (massively) on the original paint/technique used. From my experience of getting stuff (car body) painted professionally fully and localised repairs, the more "complex" the original paint the more difficult it is to blend in repairs often requiring larger areas to be painted. So if using metallic and up (in terms of paint complexity) then you might need the whole tank painted to avoid a visible blend. I read somewhere but cant find it currently that the emerald green was a tri coat paint process? much like most pearl whites are and from chatting with my local painter he hates having to do paint repairs to said paint types, even simply metallics need care to avoid visible blend point and its best trying to lose the blends in the edges of stuff if possible. I once tried to touch up a metallic blue (tri coat) paint on my old Yam S10 and even though I had the 3 paints (base, colour, metallic top laquer) it looked crap so if yours is emerald green or the funky "self repair grey" your likely to need a pro to do it for a seemless repaint repair. all just MO obviously.
0 x

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): sx1000

Post by keith zx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 pm

the paint is a primer , green colour, a sparkle then a clear laquer, i bought the paint for mine from rs paints the paint was spot on, but a nightmare to try and get the same shade and finish of the kawasaki green, t took mine to a spray shop to try and have chip in my tank air brushed in, after a few attempts we gave up , its a new tank or a complete repaint of the tank with new decals , i eventually covered up the mark with gloss black decals , and also as i was going to do any way was fit a leather bagster tank cover for my tank bag.
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 pm

The tank is metallic graphite gray. I'm thinking I'll do it myself once I find the correct paint. Worst is I'll need to get it done professionally.

I have a green touch up kit, base - green, yellow and clear. Haven't needed to use that, so far.
0 x

\

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by keith zx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:10 pm

good luck with that hope it works out for you , i would imagine the grey has similar coats of paint, i was stressed to bits trying to do mine on my green se , i started off with a tiny 2mm chip , i thought if i just took my time and built it up layer by layer , then left it for a few days to harden up i could possibly polish the paint back to get a reasonable match / finish, how wrong was i !!! working on it in my garage , i thought i had cracked it , till i took the bike outside into the daylight , all around the edge of the chip i had polished away the green . i eventually ended up with a mark around the chip about 20 mm round , tried the air brush at a body shop the sprayer couldn't get any were near , it stayed that way till i part exed the bike , every time i looked at the mark it was doing my head i don't like any kind of marks on my bikes !!! try taking your time it may pay you to mask off around the paint repair so as you don't make the mistake i did polishing away good paint
Attachments
PAINT FLAKE.jpg
TANK DECALS .jpg
PAINT FLAKE 2).jpg
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 am

keith zx wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:10 pm
good luck with that hope it works out for you , i would imagine the grey has similar coats of paint, i was stressed to bits trying to do mine on my green se , i started off with a tiny 2mm chip , i thought if i just took my time and built it up layer by layer , then left it for a few days to harden up i could possibly polish the paint back to get a reasonable match / finish, how wrong was i !!! working on it in my garage , i thought i had cracked it , till i took the bike outside into the daylight , all around the edge of the chip i had polished away the green . i eventually ended up with a mark around the chip about 20 mm round , tried the air brush at a body shop the sprayer couldn't get any were near , it stayed that way till i part exed the bike , every time i looked at the mark it was doing my head i don't like any kind of marks on my bikes !!! try taking your time it may pay you to mask off around the paint repair so as you don't make the mistake i did polishing away good paint
Keith,

Thanks for the write up. Yeah, I'm cogitating (wasting time thinking) about it a lot. Do you have an after photo?
0 x

\

keith zx
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by keith zx » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 am

hi i have deleted the other photos i had , the paint shop tried several times to get it blended in with an air brush , couldn't get it anywere near good enough so it was all cleaned off , it left me with a mark around 25 mm circle were i had been rubbing it down and previuosly trying to touch up just the chip and polishing off the paint to try and get it to blend in , the kawasaki green is a great colour and a great paint job, but trying to match it is practically impossible , it may not be so bad with the grey ??? if you look at the pics i sent i made two gloss black decals and put one over the rubbed down mark and balanced it up with a decal on the other side oif the tank , to be honest if you didn't know you would have thought it was the original design of the tank , i have now part exed my bike for the new 2020 z 1000 sx tourer , much happier , knowing the sx motor is bullet proof , was always thinking if anything goes wrong with the supercharger and the massive service costs it was best to move the bike on when i had the chance , i tried to sell privately and had no interest at all , still dont know why kawasaki complicated the engine with a supercharger , you can get more or less the same power form the engine without the supercharger , good luck with your paint , if it were me i think i would leave it , knowing what i know now, i made mine worse . let me know how you get on ,
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:02 pm

The paint is ordered. Will post up results when done, well or not.
0 x

\

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik