Manual cam chain tensioner install/review

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Bryan468
Low Boost
Low Boost

Manual cam chain tensioner install/review

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 am

I finally got around to installing my ape manual cam chain tensioner. I did this at the same time I installed my brocks heavy duty clutch springs so I was able to actually see the cam chain when I set the tension.

As far as the installation goes... this thing was actually a little tricky. I already had all of the plastic off along with the fuel tank due to a couple other projects so that was out of the way. If you’re thinking about doing this I would say you would only need to remove the right side plastics.

The coolant pipe goes right behind the tensioner so at first glance it appears that you’d have to remove it to get the tensioner out.

What I did instead was loosen the bolts on the side of the frame for the coolant pipe bracket. That gave me enough slack/movement in the pipe that I was able to remove the stock cct without removing the coolant pipe.

Installing the new cct was a little more difficult than I expected. The ape cct fits very tightly in the hole and required some light tapping with a hammer to get it in all the way. Once it was in I tightened it up until there was no more slack in the cam chain. Basically I just snugged the cam chain up.

Then the tricky part... you can’t get a wrench or socket on the jam nut for the cct so I had to put the open end of the wrench on the jam nut with the open end facing the cct. Then I put a bar in the closed end of the wrench and tighten it up that way.

The last thing to note with this job is if you decide to take the side cover off to set your cam chain tension you will want to have a new gasket ready or plan on using some silicone. I used a small amount of ultra gray to seal mine back up.

As far as function goes... the bike no longer rattles on startup when it’s hot or cold! Aside from that I haven’t noticed any difference with the way it runs.

Here’s a couple pictures from the job.

2 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, 1/2” bar spacers, turbo smart bov, Scott’s steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, custom led integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can.

unknownbiker
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX

Re: Manual cam chain tensioner install/review

Post by unknownbiker » Tue May 19, 2020 2:24 am

Whats the mileage you have on your bike, & is this really necessary already?
0 x

Jesus Saves.

Bryan468
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am

unknownbiker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:24 am
Whats the mileage you have on your bike, & is this really necessary already?
I have 2k miles on my bike. If you can live with the rattling and noise on start up then no it’s not necessary. There’s also a certain rpm where some people have noticed these things are noisy. I haven’t rode it enough with the manual cct yet to say weather or not it fixed that as well.
3 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, 1/2” bar spacers, turbo smart bov, Scott’s steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, custom led integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can.

sfisher543
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): 2019 H2 SX SE+, 2007 GSXR-1000, 2009 HD Sportster 1200 Enduro

Post by sfisher543 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Is there a noticeable difference in the Brocks clutch springs? Initial thoughts on clutch weight and bite?
0 x

Bryan468
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Bryan468 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:45 pm

sfisher543 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm
Is there a noticeable difference in the Brocks clutch springs? Initial thoughts on clutch weight and bite?
I haven’t rode it much with the new springs yet. At this point the lever pulls in a little harder. Aside from that it seems to behave like it did with the stock clutch springs.
1 x

JonTheChron
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE '18

Post by JonTheChron » Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 am

Thanks for the update on the manual CCT!
1 x

2018 H2 SX SE (1st in Canada)
2011 Ninja 1000 (sold)
2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik