Saddlebag protection

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Ludwig61

Saddlebag protection

Post by Ludwig61 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:51 am

Hello!

Thinking about switching to an H2 SX SE with saddlebags. I have had tip overs on other bikes and paying to refresh the plastic gets old quick. I see sliders for the bike, but nothing looks like it would save the saddlebags from getting scuffed. When I look at pictures of the bike it doesn't look like there are any good mounting locations for bars or sliders to keep from scratching the saddlebags.

Is that the situation - nothing to protect the saddlebags other than leaving them in the garage?

Thanks!
0 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: Saddlebag protection

Post by Prof J » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

I just use'em (paniers) when needed. I haven't tipped with them yet, but I have 'other' hazards I think are more unfriendly to the bags. I do a fair amount of off paved road, off graveled road travel, sometimes pretty tight. I don't worry too much about those marks on the bags. Like my old 78 Land Cruiser, I bought this as a tool to use. If I were inclined to keep them pristine and safe from tips I'd make to an outer frame. To me that would look too much like a bagger.

With the paniers on, the bike already too much resembles a bagger, which I do not like.
Last edited by Prof J on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:57 am

ive never seen bag protectors on a bike, have any pics of what your thinking ?
1 x

SDH2Mike
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by SDH2Mike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm

I think he’s referring to something like the canyon cages a person can get for the Concours they are looped bars that mount in front of the bags?
1 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:39 pm

The place I find that needs protection is the right bag top panel. I get lazy and alway scuff it with my boot when kicking my leg over.
3 x

dieseldad60
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Post by dieseldad60 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I've dropped mine twice.... embarrassing I know. Both times on the left side. Both times the only real thing that got messed up on the bag was the green strip. First time I ordered a new set.. about $45 I think. Second time I just buffed it out.

Additionally, the black does get scuffed but I found that some steel wool and some black color matching wax make it almost unnoticeable. Truly when folks look at my bike they don't notice unless they really "look".

Anyway, the bags are great protection for the rest of the bike! :-)
2 x

Ludwig61

Post by Ludwig61 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:35 am

Vcyclenut - SDH2Mike is spot on. The saddlebag protection products are generally tubing that loops low in front of the saddlebag so that the bar hits the ground and hopefully the bag does not when the bike tips over. I've heard them called "Elephant Ears". I'm not sure that some sort of slider wouldn't work. But not sure that provides any advantages when you probably need to have to have two mounting points for the bar supporting it.

PhukDD - Me too!

dieseldad60 - I'm going to have to think about it.
1 x

Max Warrior
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): 2018 Ninja H2 SX SE, 2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES, 2014 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 Yamaha Vmax

Post by Max Warrior » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm not sure if this link will work, I'm horrible at attaching things

I've been looking for something like this. I have them on my FJR. I would even prefer it for tank protection instead of the thin Kawasaki.

https://techspec-usa.com/yamaha-fjr-130 ... uards.html
1 x

Ludwig61

Post by Ludwig61 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Max Warrior wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm
I'm not sure if this link will work, I'm horrible at attaching things

I've been looking for something like this. I have them on my FJR. I would even prefer it for tank protection instead of the thin Kawasaki.

https://techspec-usa.com/yamaha-fjr-130 ... uards.html
Those would definitely help with the scuffs!

I was asking about something more like:

0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik