Exhaust System Replacement

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: Exhaust System Replacement

Post by Prof J » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am

PhukDD wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Prof J wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 am
PhukDD wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:26 am
My 2 cents: I did not install block off plates. Disabling in the ECU seems to work fine. You can get the butterfly actuator out fine with the battery in the bike. Nice write up.
PhukDD, you have a Vcycle flash from David, correct? I thought I read somewhere that having the Vcycle flash meant that the 'pair' setup 'should' be blocked/plugged/disabled was sort of a 'need', or maybe a 'have to'/highly recommended for the bike to perform best with his flash?
I do not, but all flashes that disable, do it the same way. I did not install the block offs and my bike does not back fire. My understanding is that the ECU holds the pair valve closed, so no need to further block it off.
PhukDD, good demonstration of software over hardware.

I blocked them on my 14, and I'm given to repetition if it works.

Nice to know that it is not 'necessary'.

Thanks.
0 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Champ87 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 am
If anyone wants detailed step-by-step information, let me know and I’ll cook up a Champ87 guide with lots of photos.
Here's a guide to help those who are thinking of replacing their exhaust system and want to know what's involved. For some unknown reason we can't attach pdfs in this forum so the pdf guide is contained in the attached zip file:

5 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Jayster4867
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Jayster4867 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am

Champ87 wrote:
It took me a while to make the decision to change the exhaust on my SE. Eventually, I decided to go for the kit Vcyclenut put together. I bought it back in May, but it’s taken me a while to get around to fitting it. I thought I’d add a few notes for others who decide to make a similar change using either Vcyclenut’s kit or other aftermarket systems.

The kit contains ZX10 header (with spacers to fit H2 SX), a new mid-pipe and a Lextek silencer with removable dB killer (that I won’t be removing). I also selected the optional exhaust bracket to use with hard bags.

Installing Exhaust
To remove the exhaust, the radiator must be removed which, in turn, requires removal of the side fairings. The oxygen sensor and butterfly valve are disconnected. The butterfly valve actuator can be left in place but removing it will provide a small weight saving and some additional storage space under the seat.

Some random notes:
  • I don’t think it’s necessary to remove the battery, but it might give a little more room to disconnect the oxygen sensor lead and butterfly valve actuator cables. I was removing it anyway.
  • When removing the radiator there are some plastic guide clamps holding the camshaft position sensor lead to the radiator cover. Two of them are tucked away by the cooling fans so, when removing the radiator, make sure to support it while you release those fiddly clips – and again when refitting.
  • To remove the original exhaust pipe, put the bike on the sidestand or a race stand. If the center stand is down it will interfere with removal. The Center Stand also needs to be up for installation to check there is clearance between the mid-pipe and the stand.
  • Before tightening up the various clamps and bolts, the parts need to be positioned to be clear of the hard bags while making sure that the center stand does not hit the mid-pipe in the up position
  • if using Vcyclenut’s optional bracket for use with hard bags, you’ll need an extra mounting bolt. Be sure to have a pretty M8 x 30mm bolt available (or an ugly one if you really don’t care).
Block-off Plates
I also installed optional block-off plates (purchased separately from Vcyclenut) to disable the secondary air system to reduce heat in the exhaust. Even if the system is disabled in the ECU settings, there is still the possibility of drawing air into the exhaust causing possible backfiring that can be more prominent with an aftermarket exhaust system.

Installing the block-off plates requires removal of the fuel tank to give access to the air suction valves - Kawasaki’s name for the secondary air system. Bryan468 posted up some information about tank removal that I found very helpful. Thanks Bryan.

More random notes:
  • For US and CA models equipped with an Evaporative Emission Control System, the EVAP Canister must be removed to provide access to the air switching valve and air suction valve covers, all of which are removed.
  • The purge valves need to be moved to allow removal of the air suction valve covers and fitting the new block-off plates. The purge valves do not have to be completely removed, simply unbolt them from the holding brackets and move them aside with electrical connectors and hoses still attached
  • It’s not necessary to remove the radiator to install block-off plates. However, I already removed the fairings and radiator to install the exhaust. The extra working room this provided was useful.
Update ECU
Before riding the bike, the ECU should be updated with fuel and ignition mapping for the new exhaust setup.

As part of the update you, or your tuner, should disable the O2 sensor, exhaust butterfly valve to prevent error codes and a Check Engine Light. If block-off plates are installed, the secondary air system should also be disabled.

After flashing the ECU, initial data for accelerator position and throttle position need to be established. To register the throttle body data in the ECU run the engine for 10 seconds at idle speed and coolant temperature 40°C (104°F) or more.

This wasn’t intended to be a “how-to” post. If anyone wants detailed step-by-step information, let me know and I’ll cook up a Champ87 guide with lots of photos.

20190825_2020_02.jpg
This a great
guide thank you .

I was considering trying to buy all the parts as im in the uk so shipping for this package is probably ridiculous. However , these notes make me realise all this is beyond my capabilities . Still havent found videos or pictures for this mod and knowing my limits will save my bike
0 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Champ87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Jayster4867 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am
Still havent found videos or pictures for this mod and knowing my limits will save my bike
I haven't done a video but the pdf guide posted above contains plenty of pictures and step-by-step guidance. I would say the most effort goes into removing the secondary air system. That's optional - you could simply have your tuner disable it in the ECU when the fueling is remapped to suit the exhaust.

Changing the exhaust system is not a big job. It should be well within the capabilities of anyone who is used to doing their own maintenance. If you aren't comfortable doing the work described in my guide then you made the right decision. Knowing your limitations is smart thinking.
0 x

Champ87

dieseldad60
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Post by dieseldad60 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Champ87 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm
Champ87 wrote:
If anyone wants detailed step-by-step information, let me know and I’ll cook up a Champ87 guide with lots of photos.
Here's a guide to help those who are thinking of replacing their exhaust system and want to know what's involved. For some unknown reason we can't attach pdfs in this forum so the pdf guide is contained in the attached zip file:

Kawasaki_H2SXSE - Guide to Exhaust Replacement.zip
Dang Champ!! That is an awesome guide!! Really incredible and professional level work there! Thanks for all you do for the H2 community!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
2 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by Champ87 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm

dieseldad60 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm
Dang Champ!! That is an awesome guide!! Really incredible and professional level work there! Thanks for all you do for the H2 community!
The appreciation is welcome but one handclap would have been enough! Truth is, only a small part of this guide was done with the H2 community in mind. Since many of the tasks that I do on this bike are first time, I refer to the factory service manual a lot. Jumping around from one section of the manual to another to find the necessary information interferes with my work flow so I pull the relevant parts into a single document and get myself familiar with the tasks before I even step into my workshop. I’m also in the habit of taking plenty of photos in case I need to look at those on reassembly or for future reference. Up to this point all the work is for my own benefit. It’s not such a big step to pull all that together in a format that I hope will help others.

To give some background to why I enjoy doing this – it started about 10 years ago when I owned a Triumph Sprint. I was surprised by how many people were intimidated by the thought of doing a valve check/adjust so I put together a thread on the Triumph Sprint forum explaining the steps. Originally, it was intended for those who might be tackling valve adjustment for the first time, but I soon discovered that it helped experienced wrench-twiddlers who wanted an overview of the process. Also, those who would never consider doing the work themselves got a better understanding of what the dealer was charging them for and why there was a wide variation in prices quoted by dealers (cost of valve check vs. valve adjust). That thread has now had over 82 thousand views. If only 1% of those found it useful that’s helping a lot of other bikers. That gives me a good feeling. Nobody loses. I’m glad to see it continuing through this forum.
5 x

Champ87

Jayster4867
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Jayster4867 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 am

Champ87 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:54 pm
Jayster4867 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am
Still havent found videos or pictures for this mod and knowing my limits will save my bike
I haven't done a video but the pdf guide posted above contains plenty of pictures and step-by-step guidance. I would say the most effort goes into removing the secondary air system. That's optional - you could simply have your tuner disable it in the ECU when the fueling is remapped to suit the exhaust.

Changing the exhaust system is not a big job. It should be well within the capabilities of anyone who is used to doing their own maintenance. If you aren't comfortable doing the work described in my guide then you made the right decision. Knowing your limitations is smart thinking.
Thanks you very much for the pdf . Its great that you took time out to help guys like myself .
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik