ECU location

Bike aesthetic/mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
Bengarzy
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

ECU location

Post by Bengarzy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:54 am

As the title says....... to save me taking off a lot of plastic where is the ECU located on the SX SE+
0 x

black-k1
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE Perf. Tourer

Re: ECU location

Post by black-k1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:59 am

Front right as you sit on the bike I believe. I'm pretty sure there is a thread with pictures on here showing where and how to get to it.
0 x

An original Old Git
European Motorcycle Tours
www.old-gits.org

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am

Vcycle has posted up a short youtube video, demonstrating someone else's method to remove it with only the right side top black piece removed. I couldn't get at the rear of the ECU enough for that method, on the ECU's first removal.

There are three wiring connectors to unclip/remove from the front pointing end of the ECU. Each of those connectors has a square rubber grommet protecting that part of the wiring harness from the ECU frame rubbing against the wire harness. They are designed to be a bit loose fitting. Following the video method, you won't be able to see the ECU connectors, nor the grommets. That method is all by feel/familiarity.

It'd be, and was practically impossible for me to restore the 3 grommets as designed, and by 'feel', as it's just too tight a hand fit into the very limited space, blindly, after putting the three connectors back on the ECU, and sliding that back into space, if I were able to successfully follow that portion of the video.

Taking off the right side skin is pretty quick. Once I had the ECU out, I could 'see' how it might be done the video way in the future, except for ensuring correct replacement of the three grommets. Next time I have the right side and nose piece off, if I leave the ECU in it's stock location, I'll adhesive the grommets into place.

1 x

Bengarzy
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

Post by Bengarzy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am

A thanks for that Prof, how is the seat, did you put an Air Hawke in it, did over 4 k miles in 9 days a couple of weeks back.....
Brilliant now!
0 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am

I agree with ProfJ; removing the ECU with fairings in place is probably a bit ambitious if your not familiar with the connectors and other bits and pieces. This photo shows the location of the ECU with the nose fairing removed and resting on the front fender. It isn't necessary to do that to remove the ECU.

20180510_4162 - ECU Circled.jpg
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 am

Bengarzy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am
A thanks for that Prof, how is the seat, did you put an Air Hawke in it, did over 4 k miles in 9 days a couple of weeks back.....
Brilliant now!
Hey Bengarzy,

I am testing out one for a time now, on the top of the OEM seat. I need to overcome a few things before I will be able to clearly determine if the Airhawke will work for me.
- Seat plan: I need to re-sculpture the seat a bit, as when it was first trimmed, it created a 'downhill' slant and 'bucket' near the front, which induces/slides me right up against the tank, all the time, unless I purposefully push myself back. I sculpted it that way to decrease the seat height so I could toe touch the ground. That worked, but the form is too aggressive.
- Rear lowering links, in or out: Having enough time on the bike now, I'm considering putting the OEM rear links back in. The ones I have in, from Europe somewhere, lowered the bike about 2 inches, which I really like for the feet on the ground, but the lowering links have created their own issue, and that is I'm unable to adjust the rear sag, at all. Softening up the electronic settings to the softest, still keeps the rear about 22, or so.
- Adjusting the height so I have some foot -> ground contact
- Being able to adjust the sag correctly.
- finding some medical assistance for OA and neuro damage so I can stay in the seat more than 20 -30 mins. I do enjoy the breaks in beautiful places.

I have these things on my to-do list, with a few higher priority items, like VC exhaust et al, keyless ignition, and maybe steering dampener (I have the parts, just have not decided whether to do the mod). The bike handling/steering is very stable to me.

I'm almost ready for when we get our first 1-2 week long forecasted rain, I'll remove the seat and get it to the seat guy, while I do the exhaust and maybe the ignition, and consider the faux front panel/ECU question. I have to send out the header and mid-pipe for ceramic coating, and I'm going to do up my own can. The headers/mid-pipe go out tomorrow to a Calif company. I'm also looking for a cheap company that can do a 3D file creation of the (extra) faux grill I have on hand, so I can consider the fabrication sizing on replacing the faux duct with some type of gadget framework/maybe slight ECU relocation. I like the faux grill housing area on the nose piece's potential.

I also picked up a set of extra running lights, can't recall the brand someone stated somewhere in the forum, but I think the lights may have been from an Australian company, at a cost of about $400/pair. The set I have were not that expensive, so that's a potential add on to test out beam strength first, and if they can be installed while still maintaining the bikes overall 'look'.

These things are all on the rain wait list. Once it turns to rainy season here, Nov-Dec to April-May, I'll be on the list. Funny, the rainy season here is very similar to where we lived in Corazon de Jesus de Escazu, Costa Rica for a time, about 6 kilometers outside of San Jose, up on the side of a mountain. Year round temps in the mid 70's, nights 68, and winter nights, 66. Rain season Nov-Dec to about May.

That's my winter list so far. Always subject to change.

Glad you are enjoying the Air Hawke. I am hoping to get it into the balance for me, as well, and appreciated the heads up you had about it.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik