Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Bike mechanical/electrical modifications and general wrenching advice.
User avatar
JonTheChron
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Posts: 457
Joined: Dec 10th, 2017
Location: Quebec
Bike(s): H2SX SE '18
Website: http://supercharged.ninja
x 111
x 113

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by JonTheChron » Thu May 16, 2019 3:24 am


kman0066 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:19 pm
Not that it makes transmission failure a good thing, that looks to be a cassette transmission!!!, which is great news in that it only takes removing the sprocket and clutch basket assembly to pull the transmission. Saves MANY hours and gasket cost from splitting the engine. I had transmission problems on my '11 ZX-10R with a similar setup and I had gears out, fixed, and installed in just 2-3 hours.
But how are you going to fix it if Kawasaki doesn't sell the gears individually?
0 x

2018 H2SX SE #232 (1st in Canada)
2011 Ninja 1000 (sold)
2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

User avatar
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost
Posts: 1019
Joined: Dec 15th, 2017
Location: United States
x 94
x 438

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by cOoTeR » Thu May 16, 2019 3:38 am


If the transmission is still turning the gears may be ok. Hopefully it's just a shift fork which is about a $200 part. If it does have damaged gears he'll have to buy the gear assembly (which ever half has tge damaged gear) from Kawasaki or find an aftermarket or salvage option. But the point kman was making is that it's not going to be a complete engine tear down to get to the transmission. On older sport bikes the case would need split to remove the transmission so even diagnosing the damage of the transmission would be the equivalent of a complete engines rebuild. Now on most modern sport bikes getting into the transmission is a couple hours tops. Which saves a lot of money and is easier to do at home.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

User avatar
Kwee
Low Boost
Low Boost
Posts: 150
Joined: Jul 8th, 2018
Location: France
Bike(s): H2 SX SE 2018
x 16
x 44

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Kwee » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am


cOoTeR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:38 am
If the transmission is still turning the gears may be ok. Hopefully it's just a shift fork which is about a $200 part. If it does have damaged gears he'll have to buy the gear assembly (which ever half has tge damaged gear) from Kawasaki or find an aftermarket or salvage option. But the point kman was making is that it's not going to be a complete engine tear down to get to the transmission. On older sport bikes the case would need split to remove the transmission so even diagnosing the damage of the transmission would be the equivalent of a complete engines rebuild. Now on most modern sport bikes getting into the transmission is a couple hours tops. Which saves a lot of money and is easier to do at home.
Last edited by Kwee on Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost
Posts: 1019
Joined: Dec 15th, 2017
Location: United States
x 94
x 438

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by cOoTeR » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am


Kwee wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am
cOoTeR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:38 am
If the transmission is still turning the gears may be ok. Hopefully it's just a shift fork which is about a $200 part. If it does have damaged gears he'll have to buy the gear assembly (which ever half has tge damaged gear) from Kawasaki or find an aftermarket or salvage option. But the point kman was making is that it's not going to be a complete engine tear down to get to the transmission. On older sport bikes the case would need split to remove the transmission so even diagnosing the damage of the transmission would be the equivalent of a complete engines rebuild. Now on most modern sport bikes getting into the transmission is a couple hours tops. Which saves a lot of money and is easier to do at home.
A piece of engine crankcase is broken. The forth gear of the output shaft exploded. There is more damage than you can imagine.
Damn sorry to hear that. If you're out of warranty it might be best to buy an engine out of a salvage bike.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

User avatar
Gadus
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Posts: 97
Joined: May 4th, 2018
Location: Norway
Bike(s): H2 SX SE
x 5
x 19

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Gadus » Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 am


cOoTeR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

Damn sorry to hear that. If you're out of warranty it might be best to buy an engine out of a salvage bike.
How can he be out of warranty? The bike is probably not more than 1 year. Do you only have 1 year warranty in the US?
0 x

User avatar
Maxx93
New Member
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: May 16th, 2019
Location: Canada
Website: https://h2sxriders.net
x 1

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Maxx93 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 am


How can he be out of warranty? The bike is probably not more than 1 year. Do you only have 1 year warranty in the US?
In Canada, Ontario - it starts from 0.5 years and more. The last time I've had technical issue - it was all about the broken bolt, and the service station's dude recommended me tap and die set (you can find in here: https://cozyhousetoday.com/broken-bolt- ... nd-die-set), after 3 hours of struggling, I've managed how to deal with that broken piece of shoot.
0 x

User avatar
Maxx93
New Member
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: May 16th, 2019
Location: Canada
Website: https://h2sxriders.net
x 1

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Maxx93 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am


But how are you going to fix it if Kawasaki doesn't sell the gears individually?
I've been ordering some of them last Autumn from reseller in Tokyo, Japan.
Price is 20 % bigger, but it's fine to me.
0 x

User avatar
Kwee
Low Boost
Low Boost
Posts: 150
Joined: Jul 8th, 2018
Location: France
Bike(s): H2 SX SE 2018
x 16
x 44

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Kwee » Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 am


My bike is still in warranty, in Europe we have 24 months. The bike have only ten months.
Last edited by Kwee on Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

User avatar
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost
Posts: 1019
Joined: Dec 15th, 2017
Location: United States
x 94
x 438

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by cOoTeR » Thu May 16, 2019 10:38 am


Gadus wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 am
cOoTeR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

Damn sorry to hear that. If you're out of warranty it might be best to buy an engine out of a salvage bike.
How can he be out of warranty? The bike is probably not more than 1 year. Do you only have 1 year warranty in the US?
Easy

Standard Kawasaki USA warranty is 1 year anything more than that cost more.

Or

You can do modifications to that bike that could void the warranty.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

User avatar
Bryan468
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Posts: 36
Joined: Apr 2nd, 2019
x 6
x 26

Re: Transmission failure on a Ninja H2 2016 / take care

Post by Bryan468 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm


I know your case is messed up so this doesn’t do you much good.

I wonder how similar the transmission is on a h2 vs a h2 sx. You could potentially swap an entire h2 trans into it if they’re easier to find. Also I know bear racing makes some trans gears for higher hp h2’s. Maybe them gears would also work in our bikes. Something to think about if this turns out to be a common issue with our bikes.
0 x

Post Reply
meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Snakes709, WR-NA and 10 guests