Would you be interested in a steering damper mounting kit?

Vendors, please post a thread about your H2SX products here.
Johnnyboy87
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX SE+

Re: Would you be interested in a steering damper mounting kit?

Post by Johnnyboy87 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:33 am

OEM would be preferable, and black would be nice.
0 x

Bryan468

Post by Bryan468 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Oem bolts would be preferable, Black for the color, and I like the idea of using a damper off a zx10 and getting it revalved since you could save $150-200 going that route.
0 x

mobilemitch
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2 SX SE, R1M, Diavel, K1600, R6

Post by mobilemitch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Please take my money! How do we get it to you? I need a damper, especially after putting on carbon wheels. I Would like to buy your mount kit and the olins you specify. Color? Black or silver I suppose.
0 x

Spazonazx
Bike(s): ZX10R, Concours, Other odd stuff...

Post by Spazonazx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Ok... looks like the general consensus is black parts, OEM (H2) bolts, and the Ohlins universal body. I will try really hard to make it work with the OEM ZX10R damper AND the universal... the universal will be a bit easier to mount because the damper body clamp can be indexed. However, if I have to choose between one or the other, I'll go with the Ohlins universal.

I should have the fork tube mounts in my hand sometime this week or next. It'll take me a couple days after that to get a good solution and figure out which style of fork clamp is best, and then I'll order about a dozen clamps and make as many adapters. I'll start looking for anodizing quotes while I'm at it, but expect that to add a week or two to the lead time... unless you'd prefer the parts raw. I have a local source for powdercoat that I could turn around real quick if ya'll don't mind that over anodizing? Parts end up a little thicker, but it shouldn't hurt the function at all.

All in all it looks like mid May to get someone a raw/powdercoated set, and end May/early June for anodized sets. I do have a race to attend 17 May - 21 May, so that'll put me a couple days behind as well. That cool with everyone involved?

EDIT: All OEM hardware (including the center damper mount) comes out to 50 bucks on each unit. Do keep in mind that Kawi uses a security Torx bit for both mounts on the damper, so make sure you have one of those in your tool box. Fork tube mounts are just shy of 20... so it's looking like I can keep this whole mount kit under 120 bucks or so (for raw finished) by the time shipping is done whippin' my hind quarters.... everyone still on board? for folks that want black I can put all the orders together at once to knock the price down.... if I can get at least half a dozen sets it should only be 10-20 bucks extra with any luck.
2 x

vcyclenut
Medium Boost
Medium Boost

Post by vcyclenut » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks you for doing this!! Im deff still in!!
1 x

Burmashave
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Post by Burmashave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Sounds great. I would prefer anodize over powder coat, but would be happy with either. Timing isn't critical for me.

Edit: After a rethink, powder coat might be better -- whatever works for everyone else works for me.

Thanks!
Last edited by Burmashave on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Fitz
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by Fitz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Spazonazx wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 pm
Hey ya'll, nice place you have here.

I'm the fellow trying to put this together with Cooter... hope he doesn't mid if I chime in to update on the process.

As much as I like my solid/billet brackets, I believe I can make this work with the OEM H2 steering damper bracket, an off the shelf universal fork clamp, and a bespoke machined adapter for said fork clamp: this will keep the cost extremely reasonable for a small production run. I went ahead and ordered a few different varieties of clamps and the OEM mounts to test it all out, but I have a couple questions for those who are interested:

1) Would ya'll prefer OEM H2/Kawasaki hardware, or generic stainless bolts? OEM hardware costs a bit more, but some folks prefer that with special bikes.

2) This is made for a linear damper, and I planned on using a genuine Ohlins unit. The going price for those new is about 395$... probably close to 3 times the cost of the mounting hardware itself. It would be possible to design it using the OEM ZX10R damper, but as was pointed out those are pretty worthless as an active damper without a service & re-valve. At that point you'd likely be over 200$+ into a used damper of unknown origin.... which would ya'll prefer? The mount kit maaaaay allow for the use of either damper interchangeably, but I won't know that for a few more weeks still. There are other linear dampers available as well, but I would like to make these for an agreed upon brand, as the fit is extremely tight and probably won't allow for changes in brand or style. Thoughts?

3) Bracket finish: raw/machined finishes and lightly polished are free and easy, but I can get them powdercoated or anodized... it's just a cost thing yet again. If everyone could agree on the same color/finish and I could do a dozen or so brackets it wouldn't impact the price much (maybe 10 bucks or so), but one off powdercoating pieces usually has a minimum charge of about 40 bucks, and anodizing is usually a lot more for a minimum... last time I was quoted for a small batch it was over 100$. What are ya'll looking for in this area?

And to clarify for anyone that cares, I'm not in this for some sort of profit or business.... I just love these bikes and want to help out people in the 2 wheel community as much as I can. After overhead and shipping I'll likely just break even on these, but that's ok by me... it gives me something to do between waiting for land speed bike parts to show up. :) Please, feel free to ask any question or post any concerns and I'd be glad to try and field them :) At the end of the day I'm just a guy in a garage making cool shit for people with cool bikes, and I appreciate the opportunity to do so. :)

1: Any hardware as long as it's quality. Not sure how visible they are but doing black bolts over oem ones on at least the fairing bolts is popular.

2: Ohlins or another new and good brand. Used ones I agree is too much hassle for reservicing and possibly being bunk used.

3: I'd vote simple powder coated gloss black fits most SE's very nicely, otherwise light polish.
2 x

Johnnyboy87
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX SE+

Post by Johnnyboy87 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I’m in. Powder coat would be fine by me. I’d Prefer the universal damper to be honest not worth trying to save a few bucks on a used one. Or just the kit and I’ll get my own damper.
0 x

Stuby
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Stuby » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Great job :clap: , very interesting to buy your kit
Stuby.
0 x

Stuby
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Stuby » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Stuby wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm
Great job :clap: , very interesting to buy your kit
Stuby.
Interesting by powdered kit only, i will buy the damper myself
Regards
Stuby
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik