H2 SX Steering Damper Mounts

Vendors, please post a thread about your H2SX products here.
Prof J
High Boost
High Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: H2 SX Steering Damper Mounts

Post by Prof J » Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Bryan468 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:15 pm
Prof J wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm
Bryan,

I was talking to KyleUSA and they wanted to know if the damper goes full stroke end to stroke end on the Ohlins SD021, effectively being used as the 'steering stop'. They caution if that is so, as they said the Ohlins was not designed for that, and could damage the unit.

It doesn't seem they are letting the SD021 go for $335 any longer. Now at $350 something.
If the mounts are installed correctly then the damper will not be used as a steering stop and it will not run out of travel.

Excellent, thank you.
0 x

\

Prof J
High Boost
High Boost

Post by Prof J » Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 am

Bryan, I've looked a number of times and can not find the torque numbers for the Ohlins install kit. What are your recommendations?

Thanks.
0 x

\

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 am

Prof J wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 am
Bryan, I've looked a number of times and can not find the torque numbers for the Ohlins install kit. What are your recommendations?

Thanks.
I don’t provide torque specs. Pretty straightforward... just get them tight. You don’t have to get aggressive with the tightening or anything and if you’re worried about the bolts coming loose throw some loctite on them.
1 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, ABM bars, turbo smart bov, Scotts steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can, e85 cont. analyzer

Prof J
High Boost
High Boost

Post by Prof J » Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Bryan468 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 am
Prof J wrote:

Thanks.
I don’t provide torque specs. Pretty straightforward... just get them tight. You don’t have to get aggressive with the tightening or anything and if you’re worried about the bolts coming loose throw some loctite on them.
Got it, thanks.

So to make sure I don't place a few things in a guess where to go as I am prone to do - and miss it! - knowing the geometry is important, would you please advise where the two metal collars, one larger-taller, and one smaller, and the very thin washer are to be installed?

I probably missed the 'Idiots Guide' to installing this? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x

\

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:58 am

Prof J wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm
Bryan468 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 am
Prof J wrote:

Thanks.
Got it, thanks.

So to make sure I don't place a few things in a guess where to go as I am prone to do - and miss it! - knowing the geometry is important, would you please advise where the two metal collars, one larger-taller, and one smaller, and the very thin washer are to be installed?

I probably missed the 'Idiots Guide' to installing this? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you starting to see why I went away from the ohlins mounts now? Lol

0 x

Vcyclenut ecu flash, zx10 header, pair valve delete, sprint filter, ABM bars, turbo smart bov, Scotts steering damper, Adams extended swing arm, integrated tail light, tail section block off panels, water meth injection, oil catch can, e85 cont. analyzer

Prof J
High Boost
High Boost

Post by Prof J » Thu May 28, 2020 6:50 am

Excellent!

It is the way I ended up!

That is a surprise, most fortunate.

Bryan, I had no idea you had any reason why you left Ohlins.

Now I know. I know, somewhere, you will have had posted the reason, and I will have missed it, and have another example of my poor, integrious memory! LOL, but likely true.

Thanks for the additional info.

I went out on a ride for 90 miles today on the 138 river canyon, and I could not tell a bit that I had stiffened up the 'steering', which I like.

Excellent kit.

Thank you.
0 x

\

Thing
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): H2SX, Rocket 3

Post by Thing » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am

Hello Bryan, if I get your Scotts steering damper kit, will it be a problem to install ABM bars later?
Thanks!
0 x

2018 H2SX Standard - a project in it's early stages
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 - 163 rwhp, GPR4 damper, 12'' apehangers

Bryan468
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Bryan468 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Thing wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am
Hello Bryan, if I get your Scotts steering damper kit, will it be a problem to install ABM bars later?
Thanks!
I have the ABM handlebars on my bike with the Scotts damper so yes it can work with the bars but it requires some additional work and hardware that’s not included in the steering damper kit.

The triple tree has to be drilled, recessed, chamfered, and tapped, the damper mount is no longer used, the tank mount has to be machined for additional clearance, and the abm handlebar clamps have to be slightly machined as well.
0 x

Thing
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): H2SX, Rocket 3

Post by Thing » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Ok, I will try the spacers first. If they are sufficient, I will order your Scotts kit after the flash. In case I need the ABM bars, I will be back, asking for advice. Maybe the Ohlins kit is an easier fit, or I might even try to go with a GPR.
In the meantime, thanks a lot Bryan! Your information is really helpful.
0 x

2018 H2SX Standard - a project in it's early stages
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 - 163 rwhp, GPR4 damper, 12'' apehangers

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik