intercooler testing done

Vendors, please post a thread about your H2SX products here.
neb50
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX, 2005 CBR1000rr

Re: intercooler testing done

Post by neb50 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

70 degree day cruising at 70-80 will get an IAT of around 100 degrees. I think I have seen a max temps of around 135 or so after a decent run/runs in 70 degree weather.

The bike also seems to make more power all the time compared to it without the intercooler. Running up in first gear with moderate throttle is much more likely to get the front tire to come up and it will do it over and over without it dropping power because the intake gets heat soaked like it would without it. The difference was not quite as big as the stock to exhaust, filter, tune, but still very noticeable improvement.

The extra power is a good side benefit, but I mainly got it to drop the intake temps down to help the engine live longer. Hot intake air, high compression, boost, and pump gas is not a good combination. The stock setup can obviously work for short periods of boost to make the power or it just pulls the timing and drops way off in power to keep the engine 'safe'.
1 x

TurboBob
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by TurboBob » Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

neb50 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm
70 degree day cruising at 70-80 will get an IAT of around 100 degrees. I think I have seen a max temps of around 135 or so after a decent run/runs in 70 degree weather.

The bike also seems to make more power all the time compared to it without the intercooler. Running up in first gear with moderate throttle is much more likely to get the front tire to come up and it will do it over and over without it dropping power because the intake gets heat soaked like it would without it. The difference was not quite as big as the stock to exhaust, filter, tune, but still very noticeable improvement.

The extra power is a good side benefit, but I mainly got it to drop the intake temps down to help the engine live longer. Hot intake air, high compression, boost, and pump gas is not a good combination. The stock setup can obviously work for short periods of boost to make the power or it just pulls the timing and drops way off in power to keep the engine 'safe'.
Wow, I don't ever see those kind of IATs! I'm looking forward to getting my bike back from David and see what I get down here in Florida with this constant heat. Everyday upper 80s to 90s. I'm used to seeing IATs high 100s to low 200s
0 x

neb50
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX, 2005 CBR1000rr

Post by neb50 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 pm

TurboBob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm
neb50 wrote:

Wow, I don't ever see those kind of IATs! I'm looking forward to getting my bike back from David and see what I get down here in Florida with this constant heat. Everyday upper 80s to 90s. I'm used to seeing IATs high 100s to low 200s
I haven't done too many high speed runs and when I do, I forget to look down until I have slowed down so it may get a little higher but definitely stays much cooler than it did without it. I also don't think I ever saw anything above 200 before the intercooler.
0 x

TurboBob
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by TurboBob » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm

neb50 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 pm
TurboBob wrote:
neb50 wrote:

I haven't done too many high speed runs and when I do, I forget to look down until I have slowed down so it may get a little higher but definitely stays much cooler than it did without it. I also don't think I ever saw anything above 200 before the intercooler.
Down her in "Mexico" we ride really fast cruising 150-160 with sprints well beyond that so the IATs get very high all the time!
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 pm

TurboBob wrote:
neb50 wrote:

TurboBob, when is you bike due back?
0 x

\

TurboBob
Pressure Building
Pressure Building

Post by TurboBob » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 pm

Prof J wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 pm
TurboBob wrote:
neb50 wrote:

Hopefully a week or so as the heat exchanger had a leak and he had to order another one. The plenum is on the way and will be installed this week I hope and then all that will be left is install the exchanger and the hoses. Then if it ever stops raining down here I could do some testing. I will have an E85 map if I think I need to run some of the faster guys. LOL
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Sun May 24, 2020 4:03 am

TurboBob wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 pm
Prof J wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 pm
TurboBob wrote:
neb50 wrote:

Hopefully a week or so as the heat exchanger had a leak and he had to order another one. The plenum is on the way and will be installed this week I hope and then all that will be left is install the exchanger and the hoses. Then if it ever stops raining down here I could do some testing. I will have an E85 map if I think I need to run some of the faster guys. LOL
TurboBob,

Are you, or anyone connected to the install, taking install photos? I'd really enjoy seeing the parts and process?
0 x

\

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Sun May 24, 2020 4:19 am

vcyclenut wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Last week I installed his intercooler kit on my h2sx and today I got to test it. All I can say is WOW!
David,

Fun and interesting post. With your experience having the intercooler now for some time, does it seem that the post intercooler temps remain rather constant, despite the ambient air temps, given spirited riding, but not sustained hell bent riding?

I'm trying to get an idea of the 'capacity' of the intercooler to 'handle' the intake charge overall, and are there ambient air temps and or less than hell bend riding that stress, or burden the intercooler, so to speak?

It seems that even hell bent riding, for X periods of time, seem to be within the intercoolers capacity. Are there time lengths that overburden the intercooler?
0 x

\

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Sun May 24, 2020 4:58 pm

I have not found any length of riding that was beyond the capacities of the intercooler. The highest temps I have seen were on the top end run I did. mid to high 150's if I remember correctly

even extended periods over 100 mph it has not gotten that high again
1 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by Prof J » Mon May 25, 2020 5:04 pm

vcyclenut wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:58 pm
I have not found any length of riding that was beyond the capacities of the intercooler. The highest temps I have seen were on the top end run I did. mid to high 150's if I remember correctly

even extended periods over 100 mph it has not gotten that high again

Excellent!
My Oct birthday is coming up early as all our vacation plans were Covid cancelled by the airlines...

so I'm having dreams, BST rims or intercooler?
0 x

\

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik