Using neutral.

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Gadus
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Re: Using neutral.

Post by Gadus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Bengarzy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 pm
Ok, a multi plate wet clutch consists of at least 12 plates, half driven and half driving, when clutch is pulled in there is just a few thou of gap between each plate (if you’re lucky) and they are wet with oil, the drag from the plates wobbling unsupported gives clutch drag and is the reason it clonks going back into gear and also why a multi plate clutch gets hot in traffic if you don’t use neutral when crossing town....... this makes the clonk going into neutral worse when you do bother to use neutral and go back into first.
.....BMW will NOT replace a worn out clutch under warranty as it is called “abuse” not wear and it’s caused primarily on the K 1300 by not selecting neutral.........and also because of the faults in the design but it does prove that some wet clutches are more prone to excessive wear than others due to waiting at lights or junctions with the clutch in... Japanese clutches and transmissions are also way better than the Germans too
I have had several BMW's, one K1200S and two K1300S, and I had no issues with the clutch. I rarely switch into neutral at red lights.

However, this forum is not about BMW's, so I suggest we discuss our Kawis... :wink:
0 x

Bengarzy
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): BMW R1200 RS

Post by Bengarzy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:20 pm

The plates all rattling about in the basket also put wear on the alloy hub and basket leaving notches in the slots, this is evident as the wear notches are wider than the dogs that are causing the wear........that’s why you use neutral at long stops.
I mentioned the BMWs as a reference only, look on the forums for the 1200s and 1300s, there is a mountain of info on how crap the clutches are, the basket also is known to explode due to poor design, glad they are gone now.
0 x

XcelleraThor
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2SX SE

Post by XcelleraThor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Gadus wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 am
I totally agree. I don't like the bang from the gearbox when engaging 1st gear, and especially not when cold. The engine idles very high when cold, so if I don't have the time to let it stand running in neutral, I start it in 1st gear with the clutch pulled and ride off right away.
Yep, good point! Especially when the engine is cold in the mornings. It physically hurts me, when it BANGS, thinking about the gears and the bearings in the gearbox, that take this BANG.
1 x

CB250N (long gone) -- XJ600 (unforgotten) -- CBR600F4 (honorably discharged) -- H2SXSE (TheQueen)

XcelleraThor
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2SX SE

Post by XcelleraThor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 pm
On my H2, I rarely shift into neutral at intersections. I find that hitting neutral on my H2 is a bit finnicky. Mebbe it'll get better when I switch to full synth oil.
The dealer put Motul 5100 10W40 Technosynthese® ESTER Oil in the engine of mine, when it was there for 1k service. Motul's Website has this as close to synthetic and the gearbox has been happily banging away ever since :-(

Maybe ask for the completely synthetic 8100?
0 x

CB250N (long gone) -- XJ600 (unforgotten) -- CBR600F4 (honorably discharged) -- H2SXSE (TheQueen)

Burmashave
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '18 H2 SX SE, '15 Versys 1000

Post by Burmashave » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm

XcelleraThor wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm
Burmashave wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 pm
On my H2, I rarely shift into neutral at intersections. I find that hitting neutral on my H2 is a bit finnicky. Mebbe it'll get better when I switch to full synth oil.
The dealer put Motul 5100 10W40 Technosynthese® ESTER Oil in the engine of mine, when it was there for 1k service. Motul's Website has this as close to synthetic and the gearbox has been happily banging away ever since :-(

Maybe ask for the completely synthetic 8100?
I used Kawi dino for the first change, and am going to go with the Kawi full synth for the next. I'll report back when that happens next spring.
0 x

2HYPR
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by 2HYPR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 pm

I have always been a put it in neutral guy with right foot down and left foot covering in case something is coming from behind etc for a quick getaway.... and I would do it more on this bike if it was not such a PITA to get it into neutral sometimes/most times!
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik