Sargent seats 4/25/20 UPDATE: Updated OEM to modified Sargent 'form'

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Sargent seats 4/25/20 UPDATE: Updated OEM to modified Sargent 'form'

Post by Prof J » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:15 am

Update 4/25/20: New photos of OEM seat final to modified Sargent profile.

Went on a ride in the rain today, first rain ride in some years, very pleasant, temp about 60. The final OEM seat now conforms to the profile of the modified Sargent seat. I asked Dennis to add about 1/2" to the horn of the seat, leave the seating area alone, and move the 'beginning' of the rear bolster/hump transition 1 1/2" back. Those things were finished in nice form.

This OEM seat now rides with no pressure points, and is equally comfortable as the modified Sargent seat. There is one difference. The modified Sargent seat is wider at the horn, and all the way back to the widest/width of the seat, where it is about 2" wider. That does feel more comforting on the rear. I think my Honey was just being flattering when she said I still have 'tight buns', as in the 80's!

Thinking on the purchase of the Sargent seat, the main 'plus' now seems, to me, to be the extra width of the base plate, and the wider padding out of the plate. I've needed to soften the base foam by a cross cut, and add a layer of softer foam on top of the stock Sargent foam. Forming up the Sargent seat, with the added softer foam, was a supplemented horn, and rear rise, what ever that portion of the seat is called. Once that was completed to comfort, the OEM seat was mirrored to the modified Sargent seat, as much as practical, based upon the OEM base plate.

I have not thought to ask if the OEM seat could be formed wider by foam, at the widest point, to be an about 1" over on each side. If so, the OEM seat then could be modified to the most full extent, to equal the modified Sargent seat (width), or there abouts. Who or what was the model for the OEM seat, to begin with?

For curiosity I am going to ask Dennis how he'd cost that out, if the foam modification would work as thought. I posted up somewhere else that he modified the original OEM seat last year, and sewed a new heavy duty zipper into my leather jacket, for $50, and the seat can have the foam adjusted X's, until I like it. I'll post up his feasibility and cost thought in a week or two, once I get back into town to talk to him.

Modified Sargent seat in the background.

Modified Sargent seat bottom part of the photo

Update 4/16/20: Updated Sargent photos, Forget Sargents, Nothing beats John Deere motorcycle seating!

Went on a several hour ride today, not leaving the OEM seat. The OEM seat still needs a bit of work in the seating platform, meaning the horn of the seat, saddle, and lead in to the rear bolster, which needs to be shaved/moved back an inch, or so. That will allow me to sit back a little more. The saddle has a slant that pushes me forward, and bothers pressure points. It is not a match yet for the modified Sargent. The Sargent is also 2" wider at it's max width.

Modified Sargent:

Current modified OEM:

Updated Sargent photos down in location of old photos.

Coming soon, now that both seats are finalized, new OEM seat tape measurements comparison to Sargents photos. HINT: Only sat in the newly reworked OEM seat, but it is an about perfect butt cup for me, as the rear bolster is right at my backside/tailbone, and the butt/seat width is several inches more narrow. My partner says I have a small, muscular set of buttocks for gripping :eek: I think she really meant for the seat to grip. I'm kinda shy.

Going out for a ride, now . . . . as soon as she lets go of my rear.

Nothing.

From this:................................................................ To this:

Fantastic.

Update 4/8/20: Short rides today gathering data logs to send to David. I'm on the first iteration of my flash, as I'm doing an email flash setup with David. The bike is feeling very nice. The 'push' back into the seat is exhilarating. In first and second I 'have' to keep my attention focused to keep the front wheel on the road, so I don't get much beyond 6-7 gentle K in first. About the same for second. I'm feeling out 3rd. 6th, interestingly pulls better than 3rd with the initial throttle yank. That'll change as the flash become more mature. Very nice, strong throttle response. A fast bike, faster and more scarier, eh, let's say 'responsive' with Davids' flash, and with a helmet on, dangerously quiet.

I will need more time to get back to sensing the 'feel' of the bike. With little traffic in the area, and getting into the twists of the mountains about 20 minutes away, and that darn comfortable seat now, that darn very comfortable seat, the 'pull' of getting into the hills is overwhelming.

At this time the seat has largely become 'invisible' to me. Where I use to first notice 'a' seat, when first getting 'on' the bike, and the uncomfortable 'oh, here we go', on pressure point seating again, this seat feels like sitting on our soft couch, or recliner. Not so much the cushiness feel, that cushiness feel is there though, but the comfy 'support' feel of it is king. The seat just melts into the background as I ride. This sounds like an advertisement. Well, no. It is a response to such miserable seating for many years, this bikes OEM seat included.

It is a butt world of difference, and likely a 'first' for me, in having a seat in these older years, that my body and 'conditions' accepts.

The OEM seat is scheduled to be finished getting 'copied off' this modified Sargent seat, next week. I'll post up info on that when its' time comes.

We have about a 5 mile road, 7 minutes run from our house and turn onto Hwy. 138, and 15 minutes to the edge of the foothills. Slow rolling hills, covered in ranches and madrone and oak trees. The soft hills makes me think of this place once being under water, and it's emergence above land, leaving the slow, smoothed out hills, above the waves.

The N.Umpqua is 'up', about eight or ten feet, as the rains have been consistent over days recently, though the river levels out pretty quickly, after the rains leave. Out front, at the rivers edge, we'll get about an 8' rise for normal rains. Maybe 11-14' with heavy rains, and that'll bring the water over the embankment, and into the yard some, though still a good safe distance from the house.

Here, normal rains are what I'd call 'soft' rain, which may be constant for some hours, on and off for days/weeks, and have a medium down pour. The locals call that 'torrential', or the like. It is nothing compared to say, the plains, Nebraska, east Colorado, say Denver. Costa Rica, where we lived for a few years, had down pours where you could hardly see the kids 8' across the street. The rain was warm there. I enjoyed it. Once we, our two girls, my honey, and I were caught in central San Jose, without umbrellas, walking down street, to get to the next up-street, when a down pour started. We didn't worry so much about getting wet, we were drenched to the bone in less than a minute, we were worried about the lightening.

So we ran down street, then up the next, and 5 or 6 long city blocks to a local hotel we knew. Taxis are usually at the hotels when it rains, great patronage during rains. By the time we got under the overhang, there were none to be seen. No worries, we waited and then caught the bus for the 40 minute ride to go 5 kilometers to our near our house, bus-stop. $.17 for each of us.

Update 4/7/20: First ride with the modified Sargent seat, first seat impression. Will be observing appropriate 'social distancing' during the ride. No passengers allowed. : )

Well, later this afternoon the sun finally arrived. It was a spectacular day, sunny and temps in mid-60s, riding for about 3 hours total, about town for a bit at first, stopping off to visit Dennis, the upholsterer. Then I headed out east along Hwy 138, aiming to go 5-10 miles past the Steamboat turn, all this along the N. Umpqua River.

Normally, on the stock seat, and newly experienced 'stock' Sargent seat, I'd stop about every 30 minutes, and really appreciate stopping, with the rear-end really hurting, little blood flow to the butt and some decrease also to the legs, particularly right let. I have neuro issues from the lower back, down to the feet, and the OEM seat, and 'seating position', really aggravated those symptoms, despite my Docs' methods to help out.

So I spent about 1:40 in the seat, from leaving Dennis's, to returning back to Dennis's. This is the first bike seat I've been able to do that in these last - well, since the early 90's., and at the end of the 1:40, I was still comfortable enough to ride more.

So, here are the changes that were made to the Sargent seat. The Sargent seat, for me, was too hard. I did some short rides, say 15-30 minutes long, I do not have much of a rear, and those two tail bones, my wife says there are the "ischial tuberosity" - David will remember that, almost sit on the seat, with no butt padding. So when I first dropped the seats off several months ago, and after Dennis had taken the stock covers off, we talked about what remedies might work for a better supporting seat.

I had 'offered' to Dennis several thoughts I had been thinking about, 1) a gel padding, 2) something like egg crate that hospitals use, 3) or more and softer foam. Dennis's idea was to make slight cross cuts in the stock (Sargent) foam, to separate it into smaller, supporting areas. He though that would be enough. I wanted to make sure the seating foam was 'cushy', so I added 1/2" of a softer foam. The result was being able to be in the seat for this extended ride, and really no pain, no butt fatigue, no pressure point issues, or other reason to stop, as from the OEM seat, or stock Sargent. The no pressure point areas/impact seems the most notable, felt difference. The seat feels like it 'hugs' all my rear, as opposed to my rear only contacting the seat mostly on the two butt bone areas.

I was so thrilled by a bike seat that worked for me, that when coming down out of the mountain I rode back to Dennis's, and asked him to please re-do the OEM Kawasaki seat, which I had dished out last year - and which did not work, to make it the same as the modified Sargent seat.

The butt 'experience' now supports more evenly about that rear tail bone, whole rear, actually, and no pressure spots on/in the seating area. I had the shoulder of the Sargent seat brought forward about an inch from the Sargent OEM, and my current front to back butt seating position is about 1 1/2" in front of that bolster. If I had an improved waist up position, as I have to lean forward more than comfortable, I'm 5' 7", and I am still currently sitting up against the gas tank, as before, but with a change to the upper position, I'd be in a 'perfect' upper and lower position. My second to next mod I'm working on is getting the handlebars up and back.

At this point I'm very pleased with the seat.

Also data gathering for my Woolich setup, initial tune by David. That has been a time waiting since late last summer. I just sent off the map for a first 'adjustment'. More on that in a different thread, when that process completes to a final tune.

Update 4/3/2020: Picked up the rough fit reupholstered Sargent and OEM seats for fitting today. My 'Honey' was insistent on having green highlighting/edging. I may have preferred black, but who knows.

Diamond Auto Upholstery, Dennis, did the leather seats. Nice work, fun guy to talk with about careers, partners interesting career events, leather and black powder/gun topics. Great practical knowledge and skillful expertise, easy going. He did the initial reshaping of the OEM seat last late summer, and put in a new zipper in my heavy leather jacket .The prices for that work, and the leather work on these three seats - spectacular. The day I went to pick up the seats, he had just sold his business to his son, after many decades of ownership. He says he's still 'not going anywhere. I'll see. I have some friends that hope he'll be around to do some work when the 'stay in' order is removed.

Oregon Serigraphics did the custom graphics: "So the work from, and the professional, thorough and fun nature of the owner, S********, was just . . . fun, and professional. She is big $$$ corporation professional, and small town friendly. I really like her. She made the whole thing an adventure, positive, engaging, open, informative - well you know the feeling when you get a professional . . . and though I know she had many other things to do, she was always warm. Brilliant." My quote, different thread.

Both of these businesses appear very busy. For our area that is high praise.

New Photos: 4-16-20

Difference profile: Sargent, left, carved out OEM, right. Both seats are standing on front most seat plate mount, and front most bushing set. The OEM has had a moderate carve out of central seat, dishing it out.

Some minor adjustments/fitment to be made. Will hope to get some riding in next week, as weather will be sunny. Now to see how to interpret stay at home orders from the governor. Left seat is awaiting the river emblem to the right of 'Kawasaki'
Last edited by Prof J on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 76 times in total.
2 x

\

dehaile
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): H2SX

Re: Sargent seat

Post by dehaile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 am

Mine shipped out Thursday from Sargent as well. I should have it Monday
2 x

Pig
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Re: Sargent seats are shipping

Post by Pig » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 am

Looking forward to some reviews of this seat.
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Re: Sargent seats are shipping

Post by Prof J » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:47 am

Here are a few photos of the Sargent seat. You'll notice it is a tad more wide, and that the hip region has been moved further back. Good for longer legged and longer arm (ed) folks, and folks with senior sized hips.

This one has the naugahyde/vinyl cover, which I have a leather replacement in the making.

Sargents

Stock

First butt test, more firm than stock. The riding comfort will be shared as riding time comes along.
3 x

\

dieseldad60
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Re: Sargent seats are shipping, and here today, Friday, Nov 29th

Post by dieseldad60 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks for the pics ProfJ. Ordered mine last Wednesday. Looking forward to it to say the least!
0 x

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Re: Sargent seats UPDATE:REUPHOLSTERED - and here today, Friday, April 3, 2020

Post by Prof J » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:39 am

Update in first post.

Picked up test fit on reupholstered seats today.
1 x

\

zxhoya
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): '14 ZX-14R / '18 H2 SX SE

Re: Sargent seats UPDATE:REUPHOLSTERED - and here today, Friday, April 3, 2020

Post by zxhoya » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Prof J wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:39 am
Update in first post.

Picked up test fit on reupholstered seats today.
Wow, that looks SWEET Prof J!
0 x

Thunderdawg
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): 2018 Ninja H2 SX SE

Re: Sargent seats 4/3/20 UPDATE:REUPHOLSTERED - and here today, Friday, April 3, 2020

Post by Thunderdawg » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:19 am

I ordered the Sargent seat last Sunday, it shipped Monday and arrived (Central AZ) Friday morning. Have not ridden it yet; that is on the schedule for tomorrow.
1 x

Vcyclenut: ZX-10 header, Lextek midpipe and can, Sprint P08 F1-85 air filter, PAIR valve block off plates, ECU flash, Woodcraft frame slider
Evotech radiator guard
Ohlins SD-021 steering damper & Bryan468 mounts, CL front brake pads

Prof J
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Re: Sargent seats 4/8/20 UPDATE: More Vcycle flash data dump riding

Post by Prof J » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:21 am

Data dump riding today for my Vcycle flash. See the top most post for update.
1 x

\

Drnick
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): Too many to list!

Re: Sargent seats 4/8/20 UPDATE: Seat melting and Vcycle flash data dump riding

Post by Drnick » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Damn!! That’s one helluva write up about a seat!
1 x

Velocitus Eradicus

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik