Extended warranty

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
spazbecker
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Extended warranty

Post by spazbecker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 am

I've just taken out an extra 2 years extended warranty on my SX SE. Reading through the terms it says the bike has to be serviced by an authorised Kawasaki dealer for the warranty to be valid. I'm in the UK.
That's a pain as I want to take the bike to the chap who I know and trust and has looked after my bikes for years. He is a proper business as a highly experienced one man workshop - with labour prices half the price of a Kawasaki dealer.
Can Kawasaki really stipulate that only they can service it?!
0 x

wellcraft
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2SXSE, BMW K16GTLE, BMW R12GS

Re: Extended warranty

Post by wellcraft » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:31 pm

I don't see why not. Kawasaki can put anything they like in the contract and you have the freedom not to sign it if you don't like the terms. I'm sure Kawasaki's attorneys have already gave their blessings to the wording of the extended warranty contract so it should pass muster in the UK. It's very important to read through extended warranty contracts so you know exactly what is and isn't covered and what can void the warranty.
0 x

danham
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Post by danham » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 pm

I have yet to see an extended warranty on any product that is a good deal for anyone but the company selling the warranty. Studies have shown that consumers badly over-estimate the failure rate of products and then buy these warranties for "peace of mind." And then they discover how many exceptions there are and end up paying for repairs that aren't covered.

If you want peace of mind then put the $$ you would have spent on the extended warranty into a good investment and use that to pay for any unexpected repairs after the regular warranty expires.

-dan
4 x

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm

danham wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 pm
I have yet to see an extended warranty on any product that is a good deal for anyone but the company selling the warranty. Studies have shown that consumers badly over-estimate the failure rate of products and then buy these warranties for "peace of mind." And then they discover how many exceptions there are and end up paying for repairs that aren't covered.

If you want peace of mind then put the $$ you would have spent on the extended warranty into a good investment and use that to pay for any unexpected repairs after the regular warranty expires.

-dan
I am vcyclenut. and I approve this message
3 x

spazbecker
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by spazbecker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:05 pm

My view is that £300 spent on a Kawasaki warranty that takes the bike up to it's 4th birthday is, on balance, worth it. Yes there is wriggle room in these things but unlimited claims of unlimited value with all labour and parts paid for. And there is always that supercharger that could decide to down tools!
1 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:49 pm

spazbecker wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:05 pm
My view is that £300 spent on a Kawasaki warranty that takes the bike up to it's 4th birthday is, on balance, worth it. Yes there is wriggle room in these things but unlimited claims of unlimited value with all labour and parts paid for. And there is always that supercharger that could decide to down tools!
I agree with the general piece of mind of having a longer warranty, too. I have not had one on a bike, but on my C6 it was well worth it, and beyond paid for its' self. I thought the local Kawa dealer said the extended warranty provided the same coverage as the initial 1 yr OEM warranty, and though I'd like to feel the bike is well made, the extra $1100 for an extra 3 years seems reasonable. If I invested that same money, @ 10% APR, the interest would cover several oil changes at the dealership, per year. Not much, really.

Anyone here had a hard time using their extended warranty on an unaltered H2SX bike? Anyone know the general service/warranty history averages for this bike, for each of the first four years of ownership?
0 x

danham
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by danham » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Prof J wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:49 pm

... If I invested that same money, @ 10% APR, the interest would cover several oil changes at the dealership, per year...
Yes, but you also would still have the $1100, which would buy a lot more than oil changes.

As always, not knocking other people's choices, just explaining mine for those thinking about the issue.

-dan
0 x

Jutster

Post by Jutster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Hello, I would recommend checking with an email to Kawasaki UK, I work in a BMW bike dealer and as long as genuine BMW parts are used (and a receipt kept) then legally we have to honour a warranty claim on a covered part.
1 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:06 pm

So what do you all think the of the mechanical and electrical reliability of this bike?
0 x

danham
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by danham » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Prof J wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:06 pm
So what do you all think the of the mechanical and electrical reliability of this bike?
All we have so far is anecdotal info. The fact that my bike has had zero issues is of little or no use to answer that question.

With that caution in mind, the evidence so far is that very few reports of major problems have surfaced online and some of those are on bikes that have been modified in what may be inadvisable ways.

When I was riding a BMW prior to this bike I flirted with "skunk at garden party" status by offering the opinion that BMW's "superior German engineering" was a myth. Not because BMWs are particularly unreliable, but because with few exceptions, modern motorcycles from major brands are all pretty reliable. But using another metric -- owner complaints -- some surveys show BMW not doing so well. My (unpopular) theory was that owner expectations of "superior engineering" clashed with inevitable small glitches and prompted more complaints.

My BMW only stranded me once in 44,000 miles, when a drive belt failed 150 miles from home. In retrospect, I may have tensioned it improperly, so should that incident count against BMW's reliability? Maybe: the tensioning procedure is needlessly complex. Maybe not: I went with slightly looser than spec given recalls of the rear hub bearing. Jury is out.

In other words, it's not an easy question to answer with any objective accuracy.

-dan
1 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik