Opinions on 2-up

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Imoutdoors
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): Zzr1200

Opinions on 2-up

Post by Imoutdoors » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:26 am

Hi all. I’m not an owner (yet), but I’m interested. Currently have an old zzr1200 that was idle a bunch of years, and I finally got going again. A few rides in, and I’m kicking myself for the lost years, as is my wife. 90 % of riding is solo, and I like the sport bikes, but she likes to go too sometimes and I need something good for that. Looking for owner feedback on how good these bikes are 2-up. For as old-tech as the Zzr is, its a surprisingly good bike for my needs, but I’m looking to upgrade. We’re closer to retirement than college, and the benefits of technology and refinement are very appealing. Sport tourers with the emphasis on sport appear to be a dying breed, but that’s what I want, so I’m here for real-world opinions from owners.

Tia
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Re: Opinions on 2-up

Post by PhukDD » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:25 am

Imoutdoors wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:26 am
Hi all. I’m not an owner (yet), but I’m interested. Currently have an old zzr1200 that was idle a bunch of years, and I finally got going again. A few rides in, and I’m kicking myself for the lost years, as is my wife. 90 % of riding is solo, and I like the sport bikes, but she likes to go too sometimes and I need something good for that. Looking for owner feedback on how good these bikes are 2-up. For as old-tech as the Zzr is, its a surprisingly good bike for my needs, but I’m looking to upgrade. We’re closer to retirement than college, and the benefits of technology and refinement are very appealing. Sport tourers with the emphasis on sport appear to be a dying breed, but that’s what I want, so I’m here for real-world opinions from owners.

Tia
The bike does great 2 up. The extra weight takes some getting used to stopping, but in the corners the suspension is already set, so it handles like a dream.
0 x

PhukDD
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): a green one

Post by PhukDD » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 am

Oh and the wife will tell you she does not like the quick shifter after she slams her lid into the back of yours a few hundred times....lol small price to pay.
0 x

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 pm

PhukDD wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 am
Oh and the wife will tell you she does not like the quick shifter after she slams her lid into the back of yours a few hundred times....lol small price to pay.

me and mine love it.

Did a trip from south florida to texas last year and a couple weeks ago rode up to north ga. We take smaller rides on it a lot also, the bags hold a helmet each so that's convenient

I find the opposite with the quick shifter its smooth and she doesn't bang my helmet.
0 x

ValkryieX
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 1997 Valkryie - 2014 Ninja 1000

Post by ValkryieX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm

I find the quick shifter to be smoother then using the clutch as well. She doesn't bang my helmet when I use it.

As for comfort 2 up - Well this summer we went on a 3 hour run and I heard about that for awhile. She told me from 45 minutes from home all she wanted was to get home (It was cool and her butt hurt). So I rode home 'quick'. Well I heard about that too ....

But the bike handles great with a passenger. The rear seat is more comfortable then most sport bikes. However, the passenger foot pegs are mounted quite high. Not super bike height but higher then a VFR.
0 x

Prof J
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Post by Prof J » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:54 pm

2-up = 2 crowded
1 x

Imoutdoors
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Post by Imoutdoors » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 pm

We’ve done a few rides on the Zzr, so helmet bumps and the like we’re used to. I’ve never heard complaints about speed, but she doesn’t read the speedo :). First time I dragged the pegs, she was on the back, so after a few rides she’s good. The biggest thing is the seat, and she likes the backrest on the Corbin I bought.
0 x

DarkFlow
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged

Post by DarkFlow » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am

7k with the wife on the back.

Her persistent observation is her seat is too high so a lot of wind roar and buffeting. Not a problem in warm weather.
0 x

Imoutdoors
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Post by Imoutdoors » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks for the responses. How easy is it to load her up? My wife is 5’2”, and well.....not as youthful as we once were. Is it big step up, or do your S.O.’s find it easy?
Good point on the rear seat height. Any variance with one windshield style over the other? The step up to the rear seat on the Corbin I have is pretty significant too.
0 x

vcyclenut
Chirp-Chirp!
Chirp-Chirp!

Post by vcyclenut » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 pm

my fiancé is short also, I put it on the sidestand and she is able to get on pretty easily. It took her a couple tries to come up with the best way to do it but now she just gets right on
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik