Tire size issues

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Re: Tire size issues

Post by cOoTeR » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:14 am

steadly2004 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 pm
So unfortunately, I went to get new tires. I went to a dealership near me and ask them for OEM tires, but they didn't have any and they said that the ones they carry are cheaper and better performing. The try to sell me on some Michelin pilot 2ct, but I didn't want those because of the softer side wall and I have them on my supermoto. I'm aware they performed very well, but I feel like they have to soft of a sidewall for this heavy motorcycle. Ended up paying them $600 to put Michelin road 5 installed, and on the way home I noticed my traction control was triggering. I have my settings on medium power and 3 for traction control. it only kicked in on low speeds, under 15 miles per hour and over 15% throttle. as soon as I got home and called to complain about it, the technician insisted that it's because they are new and slick. He said they're actually slipping. He insisted that I drive them 50 miles and bring them back if it continues to do it. I have just finished about 60 miles, the tires are not slipping at all as far as I can tell. But, the same condition exists where low-speed and medium throttle triggers the traction control. I've called and left them a message that I want the correct size tire, hopefully they will replace it without a further charge. Especially since I was under the impression that I was getting OEM "size" tires.

On another note, I really hate that this is my first post. But, it's still pretty cool motorcycle.
What size tires did they put on? That would really help to figure out the issue.

If it's the correct size tires they probably installed the rim backwards or messed up the wheel speed sensor. Could be as simple as some grease getting onto the sensor.
0 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

dieseldad60
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, 2001 Ducati ST4

Post by dieseldad60 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:05 pm

steadly2004 wrote:
So unfortunately, I went to get new tires. I went to a dealership near me and ask them for OEM tires, but they didn't have any and they said that the ones they carry are cheaper and better performing. The try to sell me on some Michelin pilot 2ct, but I didn't want those because of the softer side wall and I have them on my supermoto. I'm aware they performed very well, but I feel like they have to soft of a sidewall for this heavy motorcycle. Ended up paying them $600 to put Michelin road 5 installed, and on the way home I noticed my traction control was triggering. I have my settings on medium power and 3 for traction control. it only kicked in on low speeds, under 15 miles per hour and over 15% throttle. as soon as I got home and called to complain about it, the technician insisted that it's because they are new and slick. He said they're actually slipping. He insisted that I drive them 50 miles and bring them back if it continues to do it. I have just finished about 60 miles, the tires are not slipping at all as far as I can tell. But, the same condition exists where low-speed and medium throttle triggers the traction control. I've called and left them a message that I want the correct size tire, hopefully they will replace it without a further charge. Especially since I was under the impression that I was getting OEM "size" tires.

On another note, I really hate that this is my first post. But, it's still pretty cool motorcycle.
I just had Road 5's put on as well (Raleigh, NC). First 100 miles took it easy. Then went to the mountains in VA. Never had TC kick in at all... ever. Tires actually felt pretty darn good. I am not an aggressive rider at all but so far I am liking the Michelin Road 5's.
1 x

steadly2004
Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Bike(s): H2 SX SE, Husqvarna 701

Post by steadly2004 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:54 pm

cOoTeR wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:14 am
steadly2004 wrote:

What size tires did they put on? That would really help to figure out the issue.

If it's the correct size tires they probably installed the rim backwards or messed up the wheel speed sensor. Could be as simple as some grease getting onto the sensor.
They put on a 190/50 instead of 190/55. They also just called me and have the correct tire there. No need to order it. And they're going to fix the situation next time I can get in. Which will be Saturday.
0 x

steadly2004
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Post by steadly2004 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Burmashave wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:32 pm
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know about other guys, but the mental image I always have when running new tires is the slipperiness you get when you walk with new leather dress shoes on carpet. I don't expect traction until they're scuffed in, after about 100 miles. My local dealer (now closed) was always great about reminding me to take it easy for the first 100 miles whenever I had tires done.

You can check out some of the tire threads. Most guys are ditching the OEM Bridgestones for either the Michelin PR 5's or the Pirelli Angel GT's (now GT 2's).

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=646
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=580
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1183

Are your tires OEM size (120/70 ZR 17 front, 190/55 ZR 17 rear)? If so, mebbe starting a new thread might have worked better.
That's the stock sizes that came on the bike. Also i think that's the OP questions. I figured running into problems with what he mentioned in the OP was a good place to post.
0 x

steadly2004
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Post by steadly2004 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:15 am

The dealership called me back and are willing to swap out the odd sizes tire. They already had that in stock. The service guys called Kawasaki and asked about it. Basically said it could be causing it, or it could not. They'll switch it out and if it doesn't fix it. It's under warranty.
0 x

robb
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2018 H2SX SE, 2017 Z900SE

Post by robb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 pm

buy the tyres in Bangkok !
Get them sent to Chiang Mai.
or go see " piston Shop" in Chiang Mai , he can get them for you, fit them as well.

it is that simple.

If it is still a problem, PM me and i can give you a few phone numbers of shops that have them in stock.
0 x

steadly2004
Starting Engine
Starting Engine

Post by steadly2004 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Update* after getting the tire swapped by the dealership for free. The odd traction control issue is gone 100%. Back to being perfect.
3 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik