1/4 mile times?

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
A_MAC
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2018 Ninja H2 SX SE

Re: 1/4 mile times?

Post by A_MAC » Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm

cOoTeR wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 pm
I wasn't using the launch control. It limits the acceleration in first gear.
Excuse my ignorance.. but what is the point of launch control then? I've done a few holeshots and haven't noticed a difference in power between KLCM and not using it. Why have a "launch control" if it isn't the best launch? The traction/wheelie control seem the same too between the two modes
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Wed May 22, 2019 3:33 pm

A_MAC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm
cOoTeR wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 pm
I wasn't using the launch control. It limits the acceleration in first gear.
Excuse my ignorance.. but what is the point of launch control then? I've done a few holeshots and haven't noticed a difference in power between KLCM and not using it. Why have a "launch control" if it isn't the best launch? The traction/wheelie control seem the same too between the two modes
You haven't noticed a difference because it's a small difference. It's hard to feel a tiny difference when it comes to anything. But when you measure it out you can see the difference. When I use launch control the 60ft time is the same but by the 330 ft mark my time and speed are slower. Also my bike is not stock so it behaves a little differently than a stock bike. At stock ride height when I don't use launch control as I get to about 8k rpms in first gear and the front starts to lift slightly. When I use launch control it doesn't start to lift until the top of 2nd gear. So I do notice it. But when my bikes lowered and strapped it doesn't lift at all so I don't feel it but the time slips show the difference. I don't recall exactly how much slower it is but it isn't much probably less than half a second.

Why have it? Once it's developed it's not too expensive for the manufacture to add to the traction control system but it becomes a feature on the bike to help sales. Most riders will never take their bike to the track and get a measured time so they won't know the difference. Out side of a track or racing the difference isn't going to matter or really be noticable, it just feels smoother. Also not every rider can launch the bike fast without it so it might make them faster.

With the launch control you can hold the throttle wide open and the bike limits the rpms to a set amount. The problem is that the factors around a good launch are variable, such as weather + traction conditions, bike setup, rider weight, rider position, how the clutch is released etc. Since the manufacture cannot set the bike up to measure or predict these variables they need to find a safe rpm that can perform a good launch but not over do it. I get my best launches by putting a lot of weight on the tank and launching at about 7k-8k rpms and letting them climb as I release the clutch. Launch control holds the rpms at about 6k rpms until your doing about 30mph. If the bike was set up for my launch technique from the factory, performing best with 220lbs pressing on the tank and 8k rpms, a 125lb rider trying to launch while sitting straight up and down would probably loop the bike using the launch control. So the manufacture has to dial it down a little so it works with most riders safely. Since the launch control isn't 100% as aggressive as possible there is room for improvement so it's possible for some people to do better without it.
3 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Prof J
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Prof J » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:26 am

Naive question, but have you considered and extended swing arm?

I put one on my turbo 14 and that helped.
0 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Prof J wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:26 am
Naive question, but have you considered and extended swing arm?

I put one on my turbo 14 and that helped.
I've considered but not going to do it. I wanted the best all around bike I could buy. I go to the drag strip a couple times a year but I also go to the road course a couple times a year and I go ride the bike in the mountains as much as I can. I don't want to change up the wheelbase and change the handling of the bike. I just did a trip in the smokie mountains where we did 4.5 days of riding 10 hrs on the bike. If it was a dedicated drag bike or primarily used for drag racing I'd do it but it's a street bike for all around use.
0 x

Prof J
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Prof J » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 am

Is there a method, sort of a poll, but where folks inputting their 1/4 mile times that the input would to into a database, or the like, and

so if someone wanted to look at the results it would list each 1/4 mile entry, say with

Name 1/4 mile time gearing bike mods-engine bike mods-other fuel type ???? ????

so rather than look through each post for a 1/4 mile time, we could just click the database link?
0 x

terrordbn
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 H2SX SE

Post by terrordbn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

I did 3 passes last night at Gateway Motorsports Park outside of St Louis. (World Wide Technologies Motorsports Park now..)

I have vcyclenuts flash, sprint P08 filter, yoshimura alpha slipon exhaust, lithium battery. I did not use launch control, power setting on "M", traction control on "1". I am a rather heavy rider at 225lbs before full leathers/boots/helmet/gloves. So I am MORE than pleased with my times. If I can drop 30-35lbs from my body, I think I would be able to pull below 10s times. ...theoretically...

10.55s @ 147mph
10.51s @ 147mph
10.33s @ 146mph

Aaron
1 x

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm

terrordbn wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm
I did 3 passes last night at Gateway Motorsports Park outside of St Louis. (World Wide Technologies Motorsports Park now..)

I have vcyclenuts flash, sprint P08 filter, yoshimura alpha slipon exhaust, lithium battery. I did not use launch control, power setting on "M", traction control on "1". I am a rather heavy rider at 225lbs before full leathers/boots/helmet/gloves. So I am MORE than pleased with my times. If I can drop 30-35lbs from my body, I think I would be able to pull below 10s times. ...theoretically...

10.55s @ 147mph
10.51s @ 147mph
10.33s @ 146mph

Aaron
Why didn't you run it in full power mode?
0 x

terrordbn
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): 2018 H2SX SE

Post by terrordbn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 pm

cOoTeR wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm
terrordbn wrote:

10.55s @ 147mph
10.51s @ 147mph
10.33s @ 146mph

Aaron
Probably the best reply to that would be... I am a wuss. Not enough confidence on the bike under full power conditions. Plus, I am pretty sure that vcyclenut's flash gives close to full power when you are close to full throttle inputs.

Aaron
0 x

Snakes709
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2 SX SE

Post by Snakes709 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 pm

terrordbn wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 pm
cOoTeR wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm
terrordbn wrote:

10.55s @ 147mph
10.51s @ 147mph
10.33s @ 146mph

Aaron
Probably the best reply to that would be... I am a wuss. Not enough confidence on the bike under full power conditions. Plus, I am pretty sure that vcyclenut's flash gives close to full power when you are close to full throttle inputs.

Aaron
The timing maps are more aggressive on the full power map, at least on mine it is. And i get what you mean about being a wuss. The bike is a monster and im still hesitant with wot in all gears. I do it but scared shitless. More of the fact that i have no damper on the bike.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik