Torn between two lovers

For general chat about the Kawasaki H2SX (SE). One Wheel Drive forum for all other bike talk.
Prof J
Accelerating
Accelerating
Bike(s): '19 SE +

Re: Torn between two lovers

Post by Prof J » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Prof J wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:14 pm
danham wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am
Prof:

Not having ridden the Plus...

... But it's not something you need to change on the fly. You set it initially for your weight and forget it until your load changes enough to warrant adjusting.

Hope this helps.

-dan
damham, very informative.

wellcraft, danham, JohnnyBoy87, Raddy47, thank you all for your thoughts and insights. Good information from all.

It's 6:00 am here and I'll have to decide by 2 hours when I walk across the street to the bike shop.

It's gonna be good no matter. I like win-win events. :)
0 x

danham
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 SE

Post by danham » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:51 pm

I found an excellent article that defines these suspension elements briefly but accurately:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/s ... 19-%7Ctpfn
0 x

Raddy47
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Raddy47 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Prof J wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 am
Raddy47

Thanks for the detail. So in practical terms you can feel the bikes setup/shocks-load changing?

And apparently you can setup the various ride modes to your liking and those will stay in memory for you the next time the bike, or you, calls for that 'mode'?

With regard to winding curves, going from say a regular H2SX SW (non + model) most aggressive 'sport mode' or road mode, and comparing those two 'static' ride settings with the H2SX SE +, is the '+' bike making 'better' adjustments, or, once the '+' bike settles into its street or road mode, are those settings about the same with the corresponding non '+' bike?

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few questions.
The non SE+ bikes modes are for power, TC level. Changing these modes on the SE+ also adjusts your suspension.

Either bike is going to be great. Green I think looks better but I choose mine for the Brembo brakes. They are better than the non “+” models but not by a lot. More of a brand comfort and confidence thing for me. And I figured why not get the new model and give active suspension a chance.

Let us know what you decide. With a nice pic of the bike in the sun.
0 x

Raddy47
Low Boost
Low Boost

Post by Raddy47 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:28 pm

danham wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am
Prof:

Not having ridden the Plus, I'm offering a semi-educated guess based on some years as an NIASE certified automobile tech who used to work on suspensions in vehicles such as Porsches and Audis, and various motorcycles.

All modern suspensions, even ones with no user-adjustment, have some ability to perform real-time changes in the sense that damping rates can be calibrated via fancy hydraulics inside the shock (or fork) to respond differently based on what kind of force is applied to the piston. So even with a static manual setting of compression and rebound damping, the amount of resistance to suspension movement changes as conditions change and as the piston moves and fluid travels through various orifices and valves.

The difference in a computer-controlled setup is that those static settings can change very rapidly (or via dash controls) as needed. It's a great feature, but I doubt that my riding style and skills are likely to allow me to feel much difference while underway. The ability to set touring versus canyon ripping modes is very cool. But whether it's a screw you turn or a valve that is adjusted by the computer, it can't magically adjust outside the original design parameters. Put another way, if I can't tell the difference on my SE between the damping adjustments screwed all the way in and all the way out (which I have not yet tried), then I wouldn't be able to tell when the SE+ computer makes changes either.

The other issue is sag, or ride height, to account for changes in load such as passengers or luggage. The Plus lets you change that spring tension electronically. I see that as much less useful because on the SE it takes less than 2 seconds to twist the knob on the rear shock to make that adjustment and maybe a minute or two to do the forks. Sag is important because it affects everything else -- think of it as keeping the suspension in its sweet spot and helping it avoid extremes of compression or rebound. But it's not something you need to change on the fly. You set it initially for your weight and forget it until your load changes enough to warrant adjusting.

Hope this helps.

-dan
This was a good write up.

One of my dirt bikes I can turn all the way in or out and not notice at all. Other dirt bike is a different story. More than likely the one I cannot tell a difference on needs shocks rebuilt.

I feel that you should notice the difference between full hard and full soft but I’m sure it’s harder to immediately notice when you have to manually do it vs going down the road and holding a button down. You definitely notice then.

And just so y’all know. The active suspension under the rider seat takes up a lot of room. The non SE+ model gives you bit extra space for your randoms.
1 x

Prof J
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Prof J » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:19 am

So when I arrived at the bike shop I noticed that the representative I had worked with was not at the shop. I found another sales agent and started taking about the 2019 H2 plus model and we went over to look at the three they had on the floor, and spent some time listening and chatting about the bike. The guy said the sales price was $25K, and I shared I'd not pay that amount, and that I was aware of some buyers of the H2 plus model at just under $23K.

A bit more discussion and he went off to check on pricing, and came back with a manager. The manager shared that the season is too early for such a discount, as they were selling the plus models just fine at $25K, but if I wanted to wait till the mid to late fall, where he thought they'd drop the price. They were not haggling. No worries.

The plus model was 8K+ higher than the 2018 EX, and that is what I went with. The '18 bike is now sitting in the garage, waiting for several small surgical procedures. This is going to be too much fun.

Thank you all for your info/feedback.
2 x

Zookswang
14.7 psi
14.7 psi
Bike(s): Yamaha '72 RD 340, Suzuki '80 trials, Kawasaki '84 KZ750, '07 & '10 ZX-14, '19 H2 SX SE+

Post by Zookswang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:35 am

I will comment on the 5 differences between the SE and the SE+. There may be others, but not that I know of. I own the SE+ and have not ridden the SE.
  • Suspension - Already well covered in previous posts. I have nothing to add.
  • Highly Durable Paint - According to the owner's manual, only the fuel tank and the fuel tank cover have highly durable paint. Bummer. This was a big surprise to me as I expected all painted parts to have durable paint.
  • Rideology App - Nice feature, but the app doesn't come with instructions for the user and it takes time to figure it out on your own. I would love to see live GPS navigation that displays directly onto the TFT screen added to this app. That's #1 on my wish list.
  • Brembo Stylema Brakes - This is a safety feature. Having the best possible brakes is critically important. The Brembos are magnificent.
  • Color Scheme - I didn't care for the black/grey/green color scheme of the SE+ at first, when I had only seen pictures of the bike. Once I saw the bike in person, I discovered that I love the color scheme. It looks great. The bike really stands out, attracting a lot of attention. More attention, I believe, than the black/green of the SE. I think that the attention the bike gets comes from the colors, but also the unique styling of the H2 line and the notoriety of H2s in general.
0 x

Prof J
Accelerating
Accelerating

Post by Prof J » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am

Zookswang,

Now that there is BT with the + model, it'll be interesting to watch how Kawasaki fleshes out the asset. GPS navigation would be an excellent addition.

What has been your experience with the more active, integrated riding control?
0 x

Reciprocal
Pressure Building
Pressure Building
Bike(s): H2 SX SE

Post by Reciprocal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 am

One thing not to forget about active handling, active suspension, abs or traction control, is they don't prevent you from simply riding off the edge of your tires.
1 x

dan_h2sx
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): 2015 Yamaha MT09, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2SXSE

Post by dan_h2sx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am

I own the the SE. I've ridden the + and the only think I really wanted to have on my bike afterwards was the active suspension. Those Brembos are overpriced for the minimal perfomance boost they might have over my nissin brakes.

What I'd also really like would be the otpion to have navigation on the TFT, as mentioned.

OH, and the ONE FLAW the SX has:

Why the f*ck was it not possible to show the heated grips on the TFT????????
I always have to look down several seconds to see the mode I'm in.
This is dangerous and stupidly designed!
1 x

Ride fast & ride far!

motoman
Boost Engaged
Boost Engaged
Bike(s): CowaSockeye!

Post by motoman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:56 pm

dan_h2sx wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am
Why the f*ck was it not possible to show the heated grips on the TFT????????
I always have to look down several seconds to see the mode I'm in.
This is dangerous and stupidly designed!
Good point... and what about all this 'blinking'?? I think there should only be 2 modes for heated grips: On or Off.

Your hands are either cold or they aren't.

Always important to minimize distractions on a motorcycle.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik