Interesting security concept using a finger print scanner.

Non-H2 SX motorcycle discussion.
cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Interesting security concept using a finger print scanner.

Post by cOoTeR » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Here is a video of a guy using a fingerprint scanner to power on and start his bike. Seems like there are a few potential issues that could arise, like system failure, can be removed by a theif, would be a pain in the ass if you drop it off for repairs. But it would be awesome if manufactures developed a secondary keyless option for powering your bike on and off using finger print technology. I think it should still work with the key but it would be nice to be able to fire the bike up without any keys or fobs if the scanner was accurate enough to only work with your finger prints.

1 x

Stock with airfilter 164whp 84ft.lbs
De-restricted + tuned 213whp 97ft.lbs
Full vandemon exhaust with tune 221whp 99ft.lbs
On Race Fuel 233whp 103ft.lbs

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Re: Interesting security concept using a finger print scanner.

Post by Champ87 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 am

I'm installing a keyless system on my H2 SX. Installed one on my Triumph Sprint a few years back. No fingerprint scanner, just walk up to the bike with remote in pocket, pull in clutch for ignition on and start it up. It has an immobilizer function built in so a thief cannot start the bike if the remote is not present - even if he removes the keyless to hotwire.

Plenty of "universal" keyless systems on the market but most will not work with the Kawasaki.
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:55 am

My concours had the fob system. It was pretty neat but I wasn't really a fan of the whole setup. It had a FOB that had to be in the ignition and one for your pocket. The problem was that the ignition fob could be removed so it was basically a key. If left in the open it was possible for someone to walk up to the bike and take the FOB out if they knew what they were looking at. If that happened the concours owner could be stranded. I never felt comfortable leaving rage FOB in the ignition if the bike was going to be out of sight. So it was basically the sane as a keyed system to me.

I loved the keyless system on my Corvette that I had. But it was possible to start the car then remove the key FOB and it would keep running so you could potentially drive off without the key. It wouldn't be an issue until you shut the car off and wanted to restart it. The car wouldn't warn you that the FOB wasn't present until you tried to shut it off. Luckily I didn't have any issues with it far from home.

A friend of mine had an 1198 with a keyless system. There were a few times when we were on rides and he had trouble getting it to start near gas pumps. He said it had something to do with the pump interfering with the FOB signal so it would trip the immobilizer.

That's why I'd be interested in an OEM fingerprint scanner set up. An add on system like in the video would be too easy to remove by theives and a pain for repair shops. The FOB systems are nice but if it falls out of a pocket or gets lost somewhere after the bike is running you're screwed. If a manufacture could make a secure fingerprint system the chances of losing the "key" for it are pretty slim and it wouldn't be affected by outside interference. It'd be an inconvenience to have to take your glove off to start it but not needing a key or FOB would be nice.
0 x

Champ87
Medium Boost
Medium Boost
Bike(s): Current bikes: 2018 H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E

Post by Champ87 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:25 pm

The fingerprint scanner concept has a basic major flaw - you need to take a glove off to use it.

The keyless system I'm installing doesn't need anything in the key switch. In fact, once installed, you can actually remove the key switch or leave it there as a decoy. I'll leave mine in place to reconnect if needed - although the system on my Triumph never had any problems.

I used to worry about driving/riding off without the remote fob. I seem to remember the system on my Jaguar would warn if you drove off without the key. Happened once as I backed out of the garage with key on the bench. In that case I wasn't going anywhere - just moving the car. Apart from that it's never happened in the 10 years or so that my cars/bike have had keyless. Besides, is it so different to parking up 1,000 miles from home then losing your key?
0 x

Champ87
It's amazing how fast you can go when you take your time.

cOoTeR
High Boost
High Boost

Post by cOoTeR » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Champ87 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:25 pm
The fingerprint scanner concept has a basic major flaw - you need to take a glove off to use it.

The keyless system I'm installing doesn't need anything in the key switch. In fact, once installed, you can actually remove the key switch or leave it there as a decoy. I'll leave mine in place to reconnect if needed - although the system on my Triumph never had any problems.

I used to worry about driving/riding off without the remote fob. I seem to remember the system on my Jaguar would warn if you drove off without the key. Happened once as I backed out of the garage with key on the bench. In that case I wasn't going anywhere - just moving the car. Apart from that it's never happened in the 10 years or so that my cars/bike have had keyless. Besides, is it so different to parking up 1,000 miles from home then losing your key?
Most vehicles nowadays do warn as soon as you get a certain distance from the fob. It's unlikely to happen that you lose it. I think It'd be easier to lose a key fob with a bike than a car. It's easier to set it down somewhere while getting ready. With my vette I could have left the key in the garage driven for a tank of gas around 350+ miles then realized it was missing only when trying to turn the car off. Stuff falls out of pockets from time to time. Even if the bike tells you the key has gotten too far away while riding at highway speeds it could be difficult to stop turn around and find it before it gets run over.

The only time I think having to remove the glove to restart the bike would be an issue is if you stalled the motor somewhere. I don't think the finger print should be the only starting mechanism on the bike. That's my major issue with the set up in the video. Don't get me wrong I don't think key less systems are bad either. I just think there are some potential issues that can be eliminated with the fingerprint starter. It isn't necessary to have or really needed but it would be nice.

If you drive 1,000 miles then lose the key it's at least within the area you walked. So you're in the right area to find it. Say you lost your key and absolutely couldn't find it. With a finger print starter as a secondary system you'd still be able to continue on your trip.
1 x

Zdude
Low Boost
Low Boost
Bike(s): 2018 H2SXSE , 2009 Buell Lightning

Post by Zdude » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Cooter, the only thing other than the taking off the glove to start it would be, if at a stop light somebody put a gun to your head and said "Get off the bike and I'm gonna need that finger too"! LOL - Just kidding dude but I guess it could happen in this day and time.
0 x

meble kuchenne na wymiar warszawa cennik